Shadowlands Game Designers Protecting Us from Covenants

With that they could have their alts in group and still get those regardless.

Again, that’s on you. If you feel spited making a choice, that’s on you. If you order a Big Mac with fries, that’s on you, you, YOU if you get pissed you don’t also have the Chicken Sandwich at the same time. You are making a choice. That is on you. Literally be a man and accept the consequences of your actions, this is simple stuff. God damn dude. Just straight up, it’s childish, man up.

It’s not playing all content, lol. You can still easily do all content, you just pick one to specialize in and stuff. It’s not saying “if you pick PvP, you can no longer be decent or do any raiding or mythic+” it’s saying “you choose one that you get to be the best at, then the others you have to work harder for because you’re not going to be the best at” - that’s life. You’re not gonna be the person who is the most handsome, funniest, smartest, coolest guy who makes the most money and has the most respect in the room. That’s not how life works, nor how video games should be as well. You make a choice and sacrifice other things along the way. Not saying you cannot be good or decent, but that you will not be the best at them is all. Players love to think “either I get to be the best or it is a no go.” You get a choice: pick something or some things, then the others are a no go.

I’m forced to make a choice. Either I can have an aesthetic I want and gameplay I don’t enjoy or gameplay I enjoy with an aesthetic I don’t. That makes all choices feel bad.

Terrible example, I could just order them both.

Once again, I’m being forced to make a choice.

The consequences of releasing the covenants in their current iteration is the game dying even more. But if that’s acceptable to get what you want, so be it.

Yep, and having a disadvantage in other content. That sounds so satisfying. No ones going to quit the game over that. It’s a great way to implement a system.

No amount of “working harder” will catch you up to people with an obvious advantage.

2 Likes

I disagree completely.

The value is being able to provide a player agency and the ability to diversify their gameplay over the course of an expansion that lasts 2 years.

That ability to add variety to your character/spec is incredibly valuable.

On top of that - the fact that the choices made can have a tremendous impact on performance makes the choices made that much MORE VALUABLE, not less.

Looks like with how much is tied to covenants, switching is gona be a pain in the butt.

Good.

You can’t have everything all the time. You can live here, or you can live there. You can drive X car, or Y car. You can buy both cars, but then you won’t have Z car. You could buy X Y and Z, but then there’s cars A B and C. You will never, ever, EVER own every single car that exists. That’s just not how it works. You will reach some point where choice exists. In this scenario, with Covenants, you are presented with 4 options, and you must pick 1. That’s it.

Instead of rejecting the analogy, understand and digest it. You are going to eat 500-600 calories. Only 500-600 calories of food can you into your stomach. You must choose what to fill your belly with. You can’t eat more than that because you’re trying to be a healthy, responsible adult.

You are acting childish. Extremely childish. It borders on trolling to be quite honest. It is hard for me to believe someone like you so entitled actually exists. Do you actually stamp your feet that you can’t have 1 of every piece of chocolate in the candy store? God damn dude. Stop it.

Terrible example for covenants, great example for classes.

Terrible example. A car is transportation. I will never be at a disadvantage because of the car I drive, unless of course, it’s broken.

Once again, I’m forced to pick one, and every one of them feels bad to pick.

You’re acting the exact same way with a different opinion and terrible analogies.

Ordering both would be the same as having two characters, one for each. Bad choice for you, too.

Yes, they’re valuable BECAUSE of the ability of loss. Your last statement here explains it completely. We only know what is of good value, when we know what we stand to lose when/if we lose it. If they made all covenants do the same exact damage, you do not know of their value then.

If they made one covenant better than others, or one worse, then there is value because there is upside and downside to it. The only way to know worth is through loss. Psychologists explain that because if we have everything, then we take it for granted if we do not know what we stand to lose. Like a rich kid growing up spoiled having literally everything that they’ve ever wanted. Take it away, they know what they’ve lost and how much it was worth to them. While they have it all 100% without ever experiencing any kind of loss, they’re spoiled and don’t know the actual value of things.

Covenants do the same thing classes offer: some classes are good at certain content while others are not good at the same content. For instance: Warlocks are pretty awesome raiding this expansion, but for the most part their gameplay / design sucks at mythic+, as it was not designed around that type of content. I know this, I understand it and I can still do keys fine. I cannot do them as well as a BM hunter, Fire mage, DH, but I can still do them.

You do not need to be the best at everything, that just creates much more entitlement, much bigger egos and extremely childish players. Yes, I will call you a child if you act like one or act spoiled. I do it IRL too to people who act spoiled.

That;'s life. If you cannot accept that, may not want to look at the real world, bud.

Yes, it’s a realistic system based on real world principles.

People leave over worse things, that’s just a fact of life.

1 Like

Not really. Takes a lot less time to order something than it does to level and gear a whole different character. I don’t have to do extra work to order a different item. It takes no extra time to speak of.

Good thing we aren’t talking about life then, huh?

Which will kill the game even more, can’t wait.

So you’re fine with systems that are obviously going to make people quit?

Why not? It’s a game. For fun. People should not have to settle in a game that is for fun.

For you folks arguing FOR this system, kindly take a step back and think for a moment; this system will not provide benefit or detriment to your gameplay regardless of how it is implemented.

Giving people the choice to more easily switch abilities does not mean you will have to switch for your +2 or normal raid. All it does is give those who it actually benefits the option whilst not affecting you at all.

Basically, you’re being unsympathetic at best and outright spiteful at worst by arguing for this system as is. What others do is irrelevant. Focus on you.

The choices as is are poorly implemented and either need to be swappable or need FAR better balanced.

Agree.

What’s the point then? Just story?

If there is an easily accessible choice, without consequences, it makes a big deal to us because once again it means people will swap like candy. Also, as a Warlock, I will be constantly asked to throw down closets like I already am for talents and other such stupid things. I usually tell them no, but, it will still effect me either way.

If you quit then you quit. I watch people leave for all different kinds of reasons, from real life stuff to in game stuff. This might add to something but if you can find something to make you happier then cool, if not then you’ll undoubtedly be back again just like others.

Right now WoW has a monopoly because most of the other games suck. You’ll give them try and either come back or you’ll be happier. Yes, either way is fine with me.

The flavor of the game is enriched when I play a character and that character has strengths and weaknesses. That does, in fact, provide a gameplay benefit. I must make choices with a limited toolset, solve problems with the tools at my disposal. I am literally, right now, playing a class-based RPG. Limitation is literally inherent in the fun of the game.

Dude, the entire point is that I want to push against my own personal limits with the barriers has imposed on me. I do not want to have to try to impose barriers on myself which the game is obviously not going to be balanced for. Nobody considers the game more fun if you never press the taunt button. That’s not how WoW is designed. My bear has certain skills, my Warrior has certain skills. The game is more fun trying to take these limited sets of tools and accomplishing whatever goals I set.

Yes. I don’t care if you play the game wrong and it hurts you. I do not care. Yes, I do not care. You do not care if I find the game fun, why should I care if you have fun? I have less reason to care because you don’t even play the game for fun, you play seemingly due to a pathological need and you’ll play regardless of the fun. If I find the game unfun, I’ll just unsub, and that’s lose-lose-lose (I have less fun, Blizzard has less money and cuts back on content development, and you lose when Blizzard invests less in content development). It’s more important I have fun than you have fun in fact. My fun matters, yours does not.

With that outlook I’d advise you to play a single player game. At least the other person is somewhat reasonable. lol

1 Like

Strange logic. Ion Hazzikostas is literally designing expansion features catered to my desire. I have no need to stop playing the game. I’ve literally already won.

Still spite.

Okay.

/10char

Imagine thinking “grab them by the scruff and berate them” is even remotely an appropriate way to interact with a customer. And then claiming it’s not spite haha.

I really hope he learns better before being exposed to any kind of professional environment.

2 Likes

Childish too. It’s almost like you’re acting like the people you try to talk down to. Interesting.