Shadowlands Beta Forum: COVENANT SYSTEM DESIGN FLAWS DISCUSSION (2,4K upvotes)

For what, though?

Harassment.

It isn’t now, but that’s because as players we know what we’re doing. We know what sells, we know the markets, we know the gathering routes and the best farming spots, so making gold is trivial. Back in 2004 though, gold making was a very different beast.

I am on the beta as well, hence my opinions on these things.

Anybody know the best covenant for Demon Hunter, specifically Vengeance.

Is it always Venthyr for that overpowered teleport?

Who was it saying that those that want unlocked covenants had the fragile egos again?

You since you pointlessly reply to something I said, again.

Making gold in 2004 was only a different beast because people knew next to nothing about the game.

You’re comparing what is functionally the exact same game. Only difference is, people know how to play the game in 2020.

Your comparison wasn’t exactly very good. Talents weren’t a “meaningful choice.” There simply existed an illusion that they were. Covenants are only a “meaningful choice” because Blizzard is being incredibly stubborn about locking them.

Did you basically just use “I know you are but what am i?” on me?

Is it because I’m replying to you? I thought that was what the forums are for.

Reading comprehension sucks for you, go get english lessons from someone else.

No, you are harassing me. Mentally harassing me with your idiocy.

So much hate in this little one’s heart

1 Like

Admitting your problem is the first step, good job.

What? You keep escalating and raging at people. I’m trying to de-escalate and have a conversation. I stated we disagree, we can disagree and not shout in each others faces. Sorry you interpreted that as harassment, wasn’t my intent. Was trying to inject a bit of levity, since, at the end of the day, this is a game.

Then stick with it - even if covenants become freely swappable. There’s nothing stopping you from doing so.

But if covenants become freely swappable, a LOT of other people will enjoy the game more and have fun.

2 Likes

Balance still needs to be done. But just from the description of the specs, You have:

Kyrian: an improved Sigil. Deal damage and reduce damage enemies do. Can’t remember if it did something else.

Venthyr: a Dot that deals damage and reduces damage you take. Using Metamorphosis applies it to every enemy.

Necrolord: summon a demon. Kill it to create a poll of Blood, standing on the pool increases your attack speed and reduces the attack speed of your enemies standing on it.

Night Fae: charge an enemy and mark it. Your fury generator abilities like Demon Bite or the equivalent for Vengance generate extra rage when targeting the marked target. You can instantly teleport behind the marked enemy.

Tunning still needs to be done but just from this Necro is the worst in my opinion. The poll of Blood severely limits your movement because you need to stay on it. Night Fae is good on single-target but gives you little benefit in AoE, so I guess bad for Mythic Plus but might be decent in Raids. The other two I guess are kinda similar. Kyrian is better for AoE than Venthyr I guess since Metamorphosis has a long CD.

A lot of this is just speculation and tuning still needs to be done. Venthyr and Kyrian seem like the most practical and versatile ones though.

1 Like

Even when you are dealing with smaller numbers, 30% can still be good regardless.

But when that 30% increase is locked behind the choice and you made the wrong choice than you are punished for it and even if you swap you are set back because the class ability is best for your spec, this is why I see people asking what is my best covenant because tying power to a choice will have people asking this so they don’t make the wrong choice, if they make the wrong choice they are punished, depending the severity of it.

2 Likes

30% is 30%

If I do 100k and someone else does 70k that’s a difference of 30%

If I do 10k and someone else does 7k that’s still a difference of 30%

30% difference is still a 30% difference regardless of the value it’s taken the percentage from.

3 Likes

Still growing at over 3.5k likes.

1 Like