Shadow pvp TWW

Is shadow going to be an immobile turret turd in pvp next exp. Or are they getting some kind of gap creating ability?

This. Will be worse actually, as melee are getting more mobility.

Dear lord, looks like cata classic for me. Kinda sux , never wanted to pve again.

Ya, it’s dumb. Even if they did add a door of shadows type ability, wouldn’t really matter unless they start to remove gap closers from melee.

A DK currently has more mobility(make that make sense) and easier time sticking to you than you have escaping.

It’s why I’ve completely quit playing the spec I used to enjoy most. Everything is hard cast and no mobility make it a pretty terrible time. Ohh well I’ll keep destroying spriests on my mage and hunter.

2 Likes

Thing is you can’t even use the pve argument to justify it anymore. People used to say “its balanced around pve” but priests of all specs needed freaking evoker rescues in order to do Raza yet even with direct evidence that priest class is so far behind the times it can’t even do end game raid bosses without another class literally carrying them blizz still refuses to give the class mobility.

3 Likes

i have a low-key fear that voidweaver spec might drag that onto us. Not exactly like bfa but similar. and if that happens, we are doomed lol.

1 Like

I don’t get the direction blizz is heading with the spec. My suggestion is everyone quit playing the spec and make it known why.

they don’t have a direction because they are just trying to make everyone happy.

They need to ignore everyone who wants past designs to resurface. That’s step one.

step two – get a blank sheet of paper and recreate this class from the bottom and up, period.

shadow had WAY WAY WAY too many reworks. resurfacing bits and pieces of it just doesn’t work.

The class is just riddled with bandages at this point :<

2 Likes

Actually they need to listen to those people and bring some of those things back but by separating old vamperic shadow form new void shadow. Split the spec into 2 so you can maximize the elements of each that so many people enjoy.

6 Likes

I personally like dot weaving , it would be nice if we could have that in the spec in some way. I do see an old school camp(me) and a void camp I’ve said it before. Maybe blizz should just make a void and a shadow spec I don’t know at this point. The current iteration isn’t fun for me personally.

2 Likes

i don’t see two specs for this working. they are not different enough on their own.
They are just fragments of each other in incomplete states. With every rework further pushing them into an even worse incomplete state.

We have a pet build going on.
Voidform competes with shadow and Dark ascension.
Dots competing with Burst.
Mindspike / mind flay

it just adds more bloat into the talent tree and Less room for more fun new talents to be used. The majority of our talent tree is literally just getting stuff we had before. its sad.

the main reason I like the voidweaver tree is because there is new stuff happening for once.

Void blast is cool af.
the rift is cool af.
void leech is funny but interesting
Embrace the shadow is also interesting.
no escape
Void empowerment.

i honestly could see this stuff being put into our shadow tree ;_;

Yeah in a perfect world there could be 2 specs but who are we kidding with that thought , we can’t even get one right!!!

———Blizz
2 Likes

Voidblast is just Mind Blast but hits harder. I wouldn’t call that new. It’s just the same thing but more impactful.
Also they already did this in Legion… it was called Shadow Word: Void. It was uninspiring then and it’s uninspiring now. I think it would be cool if it did what it does but also adds more if you use it on a target caught in your rift. Like it becomes AOE or make like Ice Lance where it does multiples of damage. Add some actual interesting interactions.

Entropic Rift is a new feature in that it is both ground based and it follows the target like a homing missile. But in practically it only shines when the targets are on top of it which without being able to grow your rift in a timely manner by casting your spells as often as possible (being a challenge in PvP because we are very limited in free casting in addition to having so many spells we must cast to completion vs instant cast) makes it good in theory but in practice probably not very much noticeable if the enemy knows and focuses you down… which they will because again, we have very limited ways to prevent that or escape from it.

The leeching effect from your party isn’t really that great or inspiring as it’s a choice between that or getting passive damage reduction in the form of absorbing a percentage based damaging attack. If you take a hit that would normally 1 shot you, the leech effect wouldn’t prevent that, but the damage absorption choice might be able to save you.

Void Empowerment just granting a charge of a free Devouring Plague is okay I suppose. Even if it got removed via disease dispel, it still adds to your rift. But that once again is only impactful if you can get someone to stay in your rift which is the crux of the entire focus of this talent tree which we lack tools to consistently rely upon to make this happen.

Although, perhaps Void Tendrils could turn out it be very useful if they land and stay on the target with your Entropic Rift chasing them.

Also, I don’t even want to talk about how absolutely pathetic Void Infusion is. Just making your Void Blast generate 100% more insanity is just flat out boring. Like come on here, really? Is that the best you can come up with as far as ideas? Just give more insanity? Geeze…

But all in all, I see way to many meh and gimmicky talent options that I question the actual usefulness in PvP.

But in regards to blizzard scraping the spec and starting over, they already did this… it was called the legion revamp.

They turned the entire spec upside down as everything changed going into Legion. It’s not a surprise that we have been having issues with the spec on a practically patch by patch cycle since that change occured.

Prior to Legion, Shadow played VERY similar throughout it’s entire existence. Only slightly deviating in WoD with your 3 playstyles choices…

• Clarity of Power = Dotless Burst playstyle
    Your Mind Spike, Mind Sear, and Shadow Word: Death deal 40% additional damage to targets not affected by your Shadow Word: Pain or Vampiric Touch. Also reduces the cooldown on Mind Blast by 3 sec and makes it instant cast.

• Void Entropy = Extra dot playstyle
    Void Entropy Level 100 Shadow priest ability 40 yd range 3 Shadow Orbs 1.5 sec cast Consumes 3 Shadow Orbs to deal Shadow damage over 1 min. Devouring Plague will refresh this effect to its full 1 min duration

• Auspicious Spirits = Dot/Rot playstyle
    Your Shadowy Apparitions now deal 100% increased damage and grant you 1 Shadow Orb

Now although Void Entropy was never taken because the other 2 choices were so much better, but what this highlights is within 3 different talents, your entire playstyle can change.

So WoD offering a lot in terms of playstyle options while still keeping its core gameplay intact from prior expansions.

With Legion, we lost so many tools and were forced to play a single way that only functioned well in single target long form fights (raids) and 5 man’s and PvP it was dead on arrival because it took so long for you to actually be competitive that either the enemy died or you died long before that crescendo moment arrived.

Some big things legion took away from WoD…

• Spectral Guise
  • Devouring Plague
  • Surge of Darkness
  • Void Tendrils
  • Shadow Word: Death being neutered from damage and being used only for insanity at low health targets.
  • Cascade
  • Halo
  • Divine Star

Legion did give Shadow Mind Bomb… but then took that away in BFA… or made it just disorient instead of stun which was just an AOE interrupt at that point… but then got removed properly in SL if I recall.

Going into Legion the spec was messed up and borderline non-functional.

I recall being able to do dang well anything I attempted on my Shadow priest in WoD. But just trying to level in Legion caused me to die more times than doing PvP prior. It’s not fun doing like 10% if your damage in order to build up insanity while getting beat up in the face from all the mobs I dotted up and gathered and then when I go into Voidform, they die and now I am doing a lot more damage in my Voidform state with nothing to attack and waste the entire form running trying to find a mob to attack only to then run out right when I start attack mobs again. Effectively making Voidform absolutely useless. It was a tragic failure, an abomination really imo.

4 Likes

Voidblast is new.
Just because they lazy out and made it a MB enhancer, doesn’t mean it’s not new.
This could be a solid spell on its own with its own function.
The ability is new – the function is Potato, but its nothing new coming from them.

concept and function are two different things.

And if we bring pvp into topic, this whole spec itself won’t work well in today’s current pvp. It all begins with the first spell itself, Entropic Rift. yeah lets use a spell we can barely use in PVP but Pumps hard when used properly to prop the whole spec basically. But hey!! We can move while doing it though :D. Like if we have any good mobility to compete with the melee cleaves anyway… I don’t need to even bother dive deeper to the rest of the talents. The first one already has problems!

and I disagree.
There was a video back during TBC where the devs admitted to not knowing what the hell they were doing with this spec and where laughing about it. They didn’t give a F. and that my friends stayed true to the bitter end. I used to have this link for the video…

At the end of the DAY.
I feel this will just be like DF by the looks of it so w.e. Another expansion with an incomplete spec that just brings half-azz nestalgia.

2 Likes

The title of this thread is…

Shadow pvp TWW

So it stands to reason that talking about how Shadow will perform in PvP for The War Within should be default.

So it sounds like you agree that Voidweaver for PvP is lacking then?

Disagree with what exactly?

I would like to see this video but regardless, I don’t see the point in how that is relevant?

I don’t really care what the devs thoughts were, I care about its performance in comparison to other classes.

It’s not a good look when I have been able to play the original spec and do well with it for the core aspect of how it played for over a decade and then totally fail at the most minor aspects of it when I can then just swap to any other class/spec and face on keyboard better than all my skills and experience I’ve accrued on my main Shadow Priest over the years.

That simply doesn’t add up.

So if the devs didn’t know what they were doing in the past prior to Voidform and post Voidform is a moot point when the gameplay experience speaks for itself as to the quality of how it was handled.

If anything, it just highlights how in desperate need they are for feedback and direction since they just have no clue what they are doing.

1 Like

I definitely think shadow was one of the afterthought specs when it was first designed since there wasn’t a ton from Warcraft at that point to draw on for it.

When legion came along and developed lore, it was like when you’ve read a book and come up with an image for someone, then they cast an actor who doesn’t look like you imagined at all.

So a lot of people loved their book image, but a lot of other people loved the actor’s portrayal. Now we’re getting a reboot every year that no one likes.

WoD Shadow absolutely had enough to be its own spec with different playstyle options. So make it its own spec. Give Void its own spec. It can be done, and everyone can be happier.

3 Likes

I mean sure… i just dont trust them enough to be able to do it justice. They cant event get one right ;_;.

Which is another reason why i just say give them a clean slate to how they approach this spec.

I think the community is equally adding to the ongoing problem.

Sure, but at that point you may as well say I don’t trust them to make anything good :person_shrugging:. I’ve still got faith!

i have faith the new team can do justice to Shadow if given the right circumstances.
Meaning
They can invest time into a full clean slate redesign of the class.
The community gives them the space to do so and the encouragement.

i think they can do it.

I don’t think they can do it if they struggle to redesign shadow while ensuring past, present, and future wow players are satisfied.

I agree with this and that was the devs fault.
I wish I had the video of the dev’s BS but I lost the link after all the computer reset /upgrades I’ve done in the past since I build my own PC as a hobby. It is what it is.