Shadow Priest - Weak?

There’s a really good chance its just me, but after leveling a few other toons to 120 over the last couple of months, I can honestly say that as a shadow priest … I feel weak beyond weak in comparison.

1. Survivability is way low. If I’m getting attacked by 2-3 mobs, it’s almost guaranteed that I’m not surviving.
  2. AOE damage is very low and is hardly ever “at the ready”
  3. Single-target damage is low. Void Eruption (AOE) is the only heavy hitting offensive move that the class seems to have.

I don’t claim to be good, I am a casual but I do use Addons like MaxDPS to help out with rotations, especially when I’m unfamiliar with the class. I’m sitting at 94 now on my Priest and just overall not having a great time with it.

This is a lot of the reason they got a re design. Wait till the pre patch hits to finish levelling or the expansion.

7 Likes

What Turim said. It looks to be much better in a couple of weeks when the rework goes live. For now, at 120 I have no issues with taking on big packs. Multidot with misery (VT&Pain), and then depends on how many mobs. Either mind flay or searing touch. Then Void eruption, etc. Can also fear the group while your dots keep ticking.

Maybe that’s a 120 thing… and I would hope so considering so many people consider Shadow Priest as being one of the TOP dps in BFA. (which I thought weird).

Was hoping to get it leveled before the pre-patch, but we’ll see. Luckily i spend most of my time in groups as a healer (which is what I prefer)… but PVE questing gets rough.

Keep power word shield active before pull and when your in voidform use vampiric embrace and your spam from mind blast and void bolt should keep you healed up. If you need it use dispersion and fear

As it stands now AoE is never ready until void eruption is. Always keep sw pain and vt up on every mob and mind flay/searing touch till vf then pop vf and vb and mb along with mf/searing

1 Like

Shadow is very good at some things that happened to coincide with how raid encounters were designed up until Nyalotha. However most other things that regular players would encounter more often they kinda suck at.

9 Likes

That certainly helped, but good lord it just takes so long to kill things like rares. Thanks for the tip.

yea once you get better gear though you will be fine

Spriest is probably the single spec most reliant on secondaries in the game currently. You’re basically garbage until you have around 30% crit and haste baseline lol.

1 Like

I just leveled a Shadow priest and didn’t feel weak. VE basically one shots non-elite mobs, so you can stand in the middle of a field, tab VT onto everything, then VE when they’re all around you.

Even in dungeons it’s not bad. What talents are you taking?

Shadow has been a gear dependent ramp class for a long time (somewhat changing in SL) so at low gear levels… your legitimately stronger as disc imo.

So the only way you wont have these issues is adding a chunk of ilvl with the right stats until the pre-patch

Ujhhh. Shadow is so stupid OP at lvls 45-100

I disagree, ive lvled mage, druid, shadow, warlock, paladin, and DK this xpac at those levels and ALL of them were better than Shadow. In fact, i remember having to go Disc for things i didnt have to switch specs for with the other classes/specs.

2 Likes

I would just assume it’s a L2Play issue.

Totally ive only been shadow since like BC and raiding heroic/mythic on and off since Cata but you know i guess it is a learn to play issue even when i perform quite well in raids(implying that live Shadow is somehow difficult to play).

1 Like

Shadow sucks in levelling content outside of weird pockets where you get a spell that has an overly high base damage : spellpower coefficient.

That should change in SL.

4 Likes

Very gear dependent like most classes, I feel very tanky in BGs and do very good spread damage.

Probably not good to judge any class before you have the gear to really see what it can do.

Oh I was talking about pvp. Sorry I could not care less about doing the same mechanics week after week. Sounds mind numbing. I suppose I should rephrase my statement. Spriests are pretty godly in PvP 45-100. I also seem to always be top dmg in dungeons I would run. From 10-110. Idk you’re right I’m sure you’re 2.7k rated in arenas since BC and have done all the hard core raid achievements blah blah blah. You’re the best champ.

Took my spriest into beta, they are awesome with new spells, I can solo elites, have no problems with mobs, the fun is about to begin.

1 Like

This is exactly my experience too, Lyeza. I got so used to being so much stronger, that when using shadow for quests and even some dungeons i felt like… WOW… FRICKEN KILL IT ALREADY!! I actually had to worry about taking on certain rares. Wasn’t a fan.

1 Like