Shadow Priest Vs Warlock?

I’m looking to start a cloth caster. Survivability during leveling is important, and i figure my choice is between Shadow Priest or (Destruction) Warlock). Has anybody played both, and which one did you more find enjoyable? I know it’s subjective, but I figure others know about weaknesses and strength of the two. Thanks.

1 Like

Well, a priest has access to healing spells for self heal.

But honestly… I like warlocks more. XD

Warlock is pretty easy leveling / questing. Especially after you get blueberry no matter the spec, your survivability while questing then increases a lot, but you will tear aggro from your pets no matter the spec a lot as well.
Destro really shines at max level when you can utilize more haste and crit gear (or mastery if you like to swap in and out of demo to a degree). Not top tier on the meters but you can push near high mid range ranks if you know and understand your rotation and build well enough, I stopped raiding a while ago and just putz around doing my own thing so I am not the best insight for locks lol.

As for SP… yeah not gonna say much other they look cool. I know even less on them lol.

1 Like

Warlock
Really fun gameplay.
Not a fan of shadow priests currently

If you ever die as a Destro Lock… then something is very wrong. lol

I don’t even run Destro with a pet and survivability is super high. Lots of points for leech, etc.

1 Like

I’ve played both! Warlock was my second main last season. Spriest I’ve played for 3 seasons of this game.

Warlock:

• Tanky due to soul leech
  • Two good DPS right now
  • Lots of party utility (cookies, gate, curses),
  • can handle incorporeal.
  • Relatively easy to play
  • Kinda slow
  • Best at stacked targets

Priest:

• Party health buff
  • Nice defensive in vampiric embrace
  • Party utility and a DPS cooldown for yourself and another player in PI.
  • insane affix control: bursting, incorporeal, afflicted.
  • bit higher skill level needed in optimisation (fade casting, DoT management).

IMO Warlock is easier, but an expert Priest brings more to a group. I enjoyed Warlock more lately cause like how I don’t have to work as hard.

Warlock. Green fire, yo.

1 Like

But Shadow Priest, spooky ghosts, dawg.

1 Like

True, SP got dem spooky ghosts…

Warlocks though…

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/81/9e/3e/819e3e7e24ffe6c445023313ef33582e.jpg

(I really miss the old fan submitted comics on the site…)

It’s always the same answer with these “This or This Class” posts:

Try them both out for yourself. No one can give you the right answer, it’s all based on personal preference.

1 Like

Warlock is known for being tanky

1 Like

Warlock is nice because you have the Voidwalker pet to tank for you.
You can just sit back and blast away.

1 Like

Warlock at max level you like a tank plus your pet can tank for you

1 Like

Thanks for the comments. I am sort of leaning towards Warlock because of the pet, the one downside of Destruction Warlock would be casting Incinerate over and over. On the other hand the rotation of shadow priest may be a little clunky and I am not sure how I feel about shadowform, even with the glyph. I guess should mention that I am really into transmogs! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Incinerate spam really dies down the more you level. As well mog wise, Warlocks have had probably the longest run of being OP in the looks department. Vast majority of our gear, even the low definition versions still stand the test of time and look good.

1 Like

Yeah, priest ain’t a great leveling/solo class. Even shadow’s kit isn’t well-suited to killing stuff alone, being generally squishy when facetanking and lacking in both burst damage and immediate aoe. Being able to throw out heals isn’t much value in combat, as you’ll usually take more damage during the heal cast than you restore with the heal. Warlock’ll probably be a more enjoyable time, but you could end up liking priest more anyway in spite of these things!

Well, looking at the two classes, both are doing really well right now. (Well not affliction, but the other two are fine) Warlock has better survivability while alone. Shadow has some amazing aoe after you get shadow crash which helps in group content.

Story wise Xal’atath is going to be a main villain going forward and spriest get to meet her first in legion. And there is special dialogue in bfa when you meet her in that naga quest line. So spriest may well get special dialogue in the future concerning xa’latath.

One final thing is you do see transmog on warlock better, as whenever you are in shadow form you don’t really see your transmog.

Edit- One final thing is spriest levels just fine, it’s only in dragonflight content does leveling get significantly slower. You can do dungeons in healer spec if that’s for you to help level.

Both are great choices :grin: