Shadow flame staff vs claw of chromaggus

Hey Peeps,

Wondering 2 things, 1st I see all kinds of awesome windfurys out there but I have not seen anyone with a shadow flame staff so does anyone have one?

2nd: What do you think is better the claw of chromaggus 14in 7stam with 64 dmg ( i know off hands can very the ones with the most dmg are from AV the frost one has 34 so making total dmg 98). Or the Staff of the Shadow Flame 29int 24stam 18spi 84 dm 2% spell crit.

For me its easy the staff is much better I think. But I don’t see anyone with it ever and I am wondering what everyone thinks?

Hey,

I’m going to assume you’re a mage because of your avatar.

Let’s do the math.
At our rough gear level at this point in the game, 1% crit is worth roughly 11sp. If you check out the mage discord, there’s a spreadsheet you can input your stats to calculate this exact weight.
59.5 intellect results in 1% crit. So we currently value intellect at 0.185sp.
So, the Staff of Shadow Flame = 84 + 22 + 11/59.5 * 29 = 111.36sp
Claw of Chromaggus + Tome of the Ice Lord = 64 + 34 + 11/59.5 * 26 = 102.8sp
Mageblade + Tome of the Ice Lord = 40 + 11 + 34 + 11/59.5 * 21 = 99.88sp
Staff of Dominance = 40 + 11 + 11/59.5 * 37 = 57.84sp
Looking at these numbers, you can see the gulf between Staff of Dominance and Mageblade. But, between Mageblade and Staff of Shadow Flame, there’s really not that big of a gap. It should be your guilds priority to get everyone a Mageblade, Claw of Chromaggus, or Staff of Shadow Flame.

BUT,
Remember we’re doing all of this to go fire in AQ40.
And for fire mages, crit is a bit more complicated. I’d value it AT LEAST 22sp per 1% crit, but it’s far less linear than frost with how ignite works, so it’s hard to say.
So redoing the math.
So, the Staff of Shadow Flame = 84 + 44 + 22/59.5 * 29 = 138.72sp
Claw of Chromaggus + Tome of the Fiery Arcana = 64 + 40 + 22/59.5 * 26 = 113.61sp
Mageblade + Tome of the Fiery Arcana = 40 + 22 + 40 + 22/59.5 * 21 = 109.76sp
Staff of Dominance = 40 + 22 + 22/59.5 * 37 = 75.68sp

My point for bringing that up is, imo, the Claw really isn’t an upgrade over the Mageblade, if you already have that. I’d let that go to other people that may need it. The Staff while we’re frost really isn’t either, but the Staff is once we go fire. We don’t need it for months, though.

My guild hasn’t seen the staff yet, fyi. 2 tears, though so I’m not complaining. For context, the Mageblade has a 25% drop chance (I still don’t believe that number!) and the Staff has an 8% drop rate. So really only expect 1-2 prior to AQ40, unfortunately. I’ve seen 1 or 2 around the server, lucky bastards.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the feed back i need to go look up that post with the spreed-sheet this is pretty much in line with what i was already thinking but its good to know there is math/ data to support it.

We have had 14 mageblades drop for our Main Raid team. We are giving the next ones out to Warriors and Hunters for Memes