Shadow Crash Improvement Suggestions for M+

I came back to SP a week before Pre-Patch, missed 90% of S4. Ran everything from a +2 - +20 in these last two weeks. I’m sure there are other Use Cases for Shadow Crash, but these are the ones that stood out to me. I’m focused on Shadow Crash because I feel that’s the easier improvement than reworking/redesigning Mind Sear or Dark Ascension. Even in DF at level 70, I feel these issues will persist with full talents builds. This assumes Misery + Shadow Crash is talented.

Ideally, I would like to see these improvements.

1. Add +1 charge to Shadow Crash for 2 charges total. 3 would be a blessing.
  2. Lower Shadow Crash cooldown from 30 seconds to 20 seconds.
  3. Raise Shadow Crash target cap from 8 to 15.

Use Case 1 - Huge Pulls
In Tazavesh- Gambit, 1st pull can be upward of 20-30+ mobs. After casting Shadow Crash, 40% - 25% of the mobs are hit with Shadow Crash, THEN SP user proceeds to Mind Sear. Mobs WITHOUT DOTs are not dead with <25% HP. Shadow Crash is still on cooldown. If SP user were to weave VTs in between, mobs would not receive full DOT value or at low health already. Damage is lost regardless because of no DOTs, no Insanity generation to use Mind Sear. SP questions, “Am I multi-dotting ~5+ mobs that are at <20% health?”

The Improvements allow SP user to open with 2 Shadow Crashes essentially DOTting all mobs.

Use Case 2 - Chain Pulls
It is very common that a pull of 5+ mobs are dead after Shadow Crash is casted and within the 30 second cooldown window such as the first and second pulls in Grim Rail Depot. When a new pack of 5+ mobs are chain-pulled. SP would VT the mobs. Once all mobs are dotted, Shadow Crash is off cooldown. -__- SP holds Shadow Crash for the next pack. IF SP casts Shadow Crash for damage, the SP will go into the next pack with Shadow Crash having a higher duration on its remaining cooldown.

The Improvements allow the SP to “bank” a Shadow Crash charge for upcoming packs if the SP is budgeting charges effectively. If the pack lives longer than usual, there is less worry in not wasting the cast. There is a complex thought process with current 1 charge of Shadow Crash gameplay. 2 charges makes the spec “simpler” in a good way.

Use Case 3 - Missing Shadow Crash
The SP user misses Shadow Crash for any reason such as Tank is constantly moving and the mobs are moved from the Shadow Crash’s landing area such as DH dashing or a Ravenous Frenzy Bear Thrash spamming and running. Missing Shadow Crash leads to the next step of multi-dotting losing ~5+ GCDs vs the 1 with Shadow Crash.

The Improvements allow the SP QoL assurance. Whatever the reason for the miss, can cast another Shadow Crash.

Use Case 4 - Burst AOE/ Smooth out fillers in AOE
After casting DOTs, big emphasis on MB for Mind Devourer procs, then casting Mind Sear for largest AOE damage. Once Insanity is drained, and MB charges are spent, SP is casting Mind Flay to generate Insanity.

The Improvements allow the SP to cast Shadow Crash more within the rotation for damage. SP can take advantage Ancient Madness’s diminishing Crit buff and cast 2-3 Shadow Crashes like a controlled Void Volley OR cast Shadow Crash before/after Mind Searing to fill in the AOE rotation.

6 Likes

I’ve seen you miss that shadow crash.

3 Likes

LOL. When I missed, “OMG dude, I literally posted on the WoW Forums about this BS.” Thanks for commenting on my post… as I tried my best to VT 10 Mobs.

Missing Shadow Crash or not having Shadow Crash for every pack is a huge such loss for DPS in M+

• Behind in Insanity Generation
  • DPS loss
  • GCDs used to DOT as many mobs before going into Offensive CDs
  • Offensive CDs have a lower value bc pack is dead
  • Go into next pack starting to DOT mobs, Shadow Crash comes off CD… Hold for next pack.

I’m sure a Shadow Priest QA is testing SP in M+ and this Use Case has to be a more-than-rare occurence… right Blizzard?

2 Likes

Spriest has so many design problems idk where to even go. Is anyone even casting mind flay lol …. mind spike without proc…zz :cloud_with_rain:

2 Likes