Shadow and Void magic - are they the same? (novel spoiler)

I have always assumed that the shadow magic used by Shadow Priests is effectively void power. The one reference site I checked confirmed that. If so, it raises some interesting questions.

That would indicate the Void Elves are effectively Shadow Elves, a permanent racial version of Shadow Priests. While warlocks have always been considered questionable due to using fel magic (which came about due to the Burning Crusade) Shadow priests have never seemed to carry the same sort of ‘taint’. In fact, priests balance the two sides of that universal constant, Shadow (Void) and Light within their power base.

It had me thinking what would happen were Anduin to draw on that other aspect of his nature, the Shadow. It would certainly give his character an entirely new and potentially amazing depth because he would be dealing with an aspect that is the exact opposite of what a Light-powered priest would be. And as others have pointed out, the Shadow/Void is not intrinsically evil; it is simply a part of the universal pattern and only becomes evil through the user’s actions.

I guess if Alleria can use the shadow/void power and retain her nature, then so can he. However, he wouldn’t quite be the same Anduin we know now. The void imparts different attitudes towards right and wrong and I suspect he would be more a “the end justifies the means” sort of King.

Idk. The kid needs something. This blonde hair blue eyes marry sue is just so boring. If using void energy can make this dude actually interesting it should have been introduced a long time ago. Dude is so stale and boring especially as a follow up to his father.

hes one of my favourite wow characters

It used to be that Shadow and Light were flip sides of hte same coin. Even during Mists, that was the mindset. But then they had to twist things in Warlords, and turned Shadow into an aspect of the Void. Except there are a lot of abilities listed as SHadow Damage that are defnitely not Void oriented. They’re just seen as the flip side of the Light.

Where light Created, Shadow Destroyed. Light and Shadow, Destruction and Creation. Decay and Regrowth. That’s what Light & Shadow were, until Blizzard felt a need to bring the Void more heavily into the story and made the poor decision to turn Shadow into an aspect of the void.

And that’s when things really started to fall apart.

Well he is his father’s son, and there is as much of Varian in him as his mother. I think its quite possible he would be as powerful, or even more so, than Varian though obviously in a different way. I don’t think his future lies in weilding a sword (which was hinted at during the BfA cinematic) but rather drawing on his powers. Powers of the Jailor aside, I think Sylvanas would have some serious difficulty in beating Anduin if he drew on the Shadow/Void. The Void Lords’ power is potentially a lot stronger than Sylvanas ‘borrowed power’. I reckon if the Jailor was out of the picture, that would be an epic encounter.

I’d love to see a Shadow Priest on the throne. The imagery alone would be neat. (As long as they let him turn off voidform…(:

According to Hearthstone, this is Anduin with the Void.

1 Like

You are correct.

That would have been a much better name for them.

Likely because being priests they are sacrosanct.

Void/Shadow tends towards the negative, which tends to turn people dark. And what folks will accept in a common priest does not indicate what they will accept in their king.

I would think he would be able to. But I also think he has more important things to do right now than start experimenting with void/shadow.

Some of that shine would certainly be rubbed off.

I would suggest you dig around the Warcraft universe if this is your favorite character. He might be one of the most stale characters in this universe. I shoulda put a pillow over his face when we was a baby sleeping in SW. :wink:

Yah but Varian was a slave who fought for his freedom in a cage. A human fighting a bunch of orcs. He just came from the mud and went hard. Anduin just. Idk I hope he gets corrupted by the void and we have to kill him or something. Maybe. Taps into it to beat sylvanus and the jailer? In return wrecks havoc on the alliance and the horde the like so we have to yet again… team up to defeat some great evil bad… I’m tired of the alliance and horde teaming up. But eh. The lore is really bad nowa days I don’t think blizavision puts much thought into it.

According to WoW Chronicle Vol. 1 the expressions “Shadow Magic” and “Void Magic” are interchangeable.

Void is the thing. Shadow is the school of magic. Light is the thing. Holy is the school of magic.

Shadow is associated with death. Light with life.

3 Likes

Even during Burning Crusade the Cosmic Force of Shadow was the same as Void

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Pandemonius#Abilities

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Zereketh_the_Unbound#Abilities

As you can see all Void aligned Bosses in Burning Crusade have the word Shadow in the very name of their Spells!

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Blackfathom_Deeps_(Classic)#Encounters

Twilight Shadowmages are able to summon Voidwalkers in Classic!

Shadow has always been Void! The Sha flames in Mists of Pandaria are even called Void Flames!

The only Shadow that isn’t Void is the Shadows of the Shadowlands which are Anima.

Which Anima has been referred to by the term Shadow and Dark? Maldraxxian Death Energies, Revendreth Sin Anima(the Spells of which hardly ever use the word Death incidentally) and the Maw’s Sin-touched Death Magic.

Well yeah he’s a priest, not a paladin. He should be using some shadowy things too. I’d love a paladin to be the big daddy but he isn’t one so doing a bit of shadow now and then is fine.