Server Transfer in Classic

This is pretty scary then. Not sure if Blizzard cares to be involved now… but that seems like one of the changes that happened later than the community would definitely benefit from. Ninja looting shouldn’t be one of the #nochanges things. That just sucks.

I could see that. Personally, I would rather be 2nd or 3rd place on a highly populated server than 1st place on a low pop. one. More glory that way.

The difference would be months of farming to get to Naxx. Even if Naxx was open to them when they start at level 1 they would have to go through all the content and get 40 people geared.

I can deffinetly see people moving a premade to a dead realm to push rank to 14 and then go back to the main realm. Character xfers should be used only to get people off realms that are constantly in Q or are greatly over populated. If you level on a realm and you don’t like it, and you have another one in mind. Go and level again there. It’s not even hard, it’s just strenuous time wise.

If you are wanting to go and play with friends have them kill tag you to like 30 anyhow. You can power level by kill tagging through quests like a fighter jet.

Not so much “and go back to the main realm”. There was a 6 month cooldown, and paid server transfers weren’t introduced until there were less than 6 months left in Vanilla.

Okay, sorry I misunderstood you. I agree with you. I didn’t realize you meant servers that were opened later on. Thought you meant servers that opened at the same time but whose top guilds were just progressing slower.

And were absolutely retarded when they came out. One of the worst decisions ever made by Blizzard just to avoid merging dead realms and squeeze more money out of the player base.

That’s not what server transfers are about. Some people want to play with friends/guilds that are on other servers…

Also, Blizzard always provided free character migrations to dead servers to try to help the issue.

I feel like Blizzard shouldn’t get involved with loot or guild drama unless something criminal happens. For example, doxxing, death threats, or w/e. The server should figure problems out itself. A Vanilla server is a living breathing thing. I can see people ninjaing various things if they have xfers available. Fel Striker, Iron Foe, Bindings, Eye, even the Domo Chest. There is a lot of stuff in the first raid tier and lower that are worth 25 bucks honestly, well over. The chance of even seeing a Fel Striker is so low and it is BiS for rogue up until late naxx, like im talking you are crit capped so there is minimal reason to have it on ur OH.

Server xfers had nothing to do with server merges but more had to do with connecting with friends… Free servers xfers were to fight dead servers/new servers if that’s what you’re referring to.

Paid server xfers didn’t harm anything and if it did it was extremely minuscule. Making a mountain out of a mole hill on this one friend.

1 Like

There was no single decision that had as much impact in breaking the early WoW communities as paid server transfer and name changes. Instead of admitting that some servers had unsustainable populations and merging them Blizzard came up with this “Service” to extract more money out of its player base.

Every other MMO out there was able to come up with some sort of server merger scheme when populations declined but not Blizzard. Instead you end up with a situation of paying the service fee or being stuck on a dead server. To this day there are still dead servers out there with populations barely able to even keep the AH populated in spite of bots.

A saying that I hear a lot is “Locks keep good people out.”. When an item like you describe drops, the temptation might just be overwhelming for some people. Just the knowledge that Blizzard would come down on them would be enough for most.

Warts and all, baby, warts and all.
You probably won’t be able to xfer from a PvE server to a PvP server.

1 Like

If it was available on launch for Classic i mean, and it would take a few months to trade Rank 14 positions around. People might even Xfer alts with the premade.

This is the most exaggerated comment on this thread, hands down lol.

Server transfers were absolutely 100% a service created by Blizzard to avoid merging dead servers and at the same time increase revenue. You’re delusional if you think that they offered this service so friends could play with each other. It’s just like every other business, they looked at the $$$ and decided that if they announced server mergers that could give the impression of decreasing subscription numbers and instead found a solution that not only avoids the bad PR of server mergers but also comes up with an entirely new revenue stream.

If you honestly think Blizzard is that altruistic there isn’t much I can say that would change you’re mind.

I’d jack a Eye of Sulfuras and jump ship if I was in that position. Blizzard can suck it, I’d tell them i stated it in Discord voice and risk it.

Safest to go with the authentic route then.
Paid transfers apparently came in late Vanilla.
Well have them come out in late Classic whatever is the appropriate phase.
I suppose it has to be either phase 5 or 6 then.

They provided free migrations to low pop. servers. I’ve paid for $100s of dollars of server transfers FROM high pop. servers for a variety of reasons.

Okay.

Did you actually want to try and say why it’s exaggerated or are your feelings enough to go on?

While I agree with the paragraph above it, this statement is kind of the antithesis of Classic. They are building Classic and even if no-one comes, they’re going to maintain at least a couple of servers, altruistically, because we were so passionate. They’re not trying to make money off Classic.