Server population is an emergency that needs to be dealt with

Classic is pretty much aimed at dad gamers. Did you really expect something else?

1 Like

If I follow the chain of conversation, I still see zero promises to “promote a balanced population”. So again, I ask, where are you getting this from? Did you make it up?

1 Like

The Sulfuras situation is rough. I was really hoping that it could be another good and balanced server going into Wrath but instead just saw history repeat itself.

I’ve debated if this is all on Blizzard or the players probably a hundred times and am not going to again but needless to say, I think the situation sucks and I know that the whole server scenario, meaning what has happened on all servers, has significantly reduced my enjoyment of playing this game. I also strongly disagree with where Blizzard has put all their efforts and resources.

There is a frequent forum poster who pretty much went through what you did with Sulfuras and from what I’ve read that was the final straw to where they quit the game and went elsewhere.

I’m more than anything posting to say I empathize with your situation.

6 Likes

I used to play on a 55/45 server with around 8k population. August 2021 they open the transfers up to create mega servers. My server dies within a month as a result. Luckily I was on the 5th month of a 6 month sub. I uninstalled for half a year, refusing to pay the ransom, refusing to take two offers from friends for gifted transfers. Told my guild leader I would not transfer, even though I’d always had a great time playing with them since phase 1 vanilla classic.

All faith I ever had in Blizzard gone from that point. Eventually, I was drawn back after they offered free xfers from that dead server 6 months later. I still had a buncha friends who’d paid the ransom and had been playing the whole time on the destination server.

I’m having a good enough time in wrath but this will be the last time. I will not buy Diablo 4 or any more of their products in the future when they come out. Not worth the trouble. I have no faith in this company. They will hype some next game, release it, get their money, and peace out all their resources toward the next buck, and let the current one rot. Dead within 2 months as always. I will have a good time in a game from another company after this one ends. I mean no hard feelings or anything. I’ve had a lot of fun with classic and their past titles. Actually imo the top masterpiece pc game of all time is brood war. But I’m very certain continuing with Blizzard products is a mistake going forward.

5 Likes

:cold_sweat: wow yer mean as heck

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/en/wow/t/classic-the-unacceptable-state-of-classic-servers/1323722/10

This is a quote from the Blue Post:

" Long term however, we do want to take much more deliberate steps to reduce the chances of this happening again, and we unfortunately need to be a bit heavy handed going forward to prevent any tailspins that inadvertently create other bigger problems down the road. It’s going to take us some time to realize the full scope of what we need to do to correct this, but for now, our best option is to continue with very tightly monitored and targeted FCMs (including potentially faction-locked FCMs, as Kaivax alluded to in another post here) to alleviate the immediate pressure."

The post that is mentioned with Kaivax, is the same post where Kaivax acknowledges the Faction Specific transfer to Sulfuras to stabilize the Alliance population.

When looking at the body of communications from the developers here, and this post specifically, Blizzard has made the following promises:

1. They are taking steps to prevent Mega Servers in the future
  2. They will be heavy handed in preventing any tail spins that inadvertently create other problems down the road
  3. Will continue promoting faction balance on destination realms.

They only followed through on their first promise. Not the second or third. They did not promote faction balance (first promise broken), and in failing to do so, caused problems for Sulfuras down the road (second promise broken).

You may say that they never explicitly stated “we will continue to promote faction balance”. Well to that I say this: we saw them lock Mega-Server immediately and issue a statement that Mega-Servers were a mistake and might never unlock in the future. This was one of their promises, and they followed through on this promise. The players would see this and have confidence that Blizzard’s would follow through on their other promises.

9 Likes

But they’re right.

The truth hurts.

1 Like

No they didn’t. You have read their post incorrectly.

Notice how they say they WANT TO. Wanting to do something is not promising it.

Because they didn’t. There’s no way for them to promise that because it is not guaranteed.

Thanks for sharing that all! I remembered it but haven’t gone back to look at the exact words, maybe because I knew how much it would annoy me that they seemed to be caring about the exact things I spent a long time on the forum talking about… and now they clearly just care about doing “easy stuff” to catering to the people who would already rank Wrath Classic an 11/10.

I never trusted any of it enough to transfer any of my toons though, even though I know that the experience and atmosphere I really crave (outside of the guild experience) cannot be found on Wrath Faerlina which is where I was staying.

Anyway, don’t bother with the guy you are debating with. He is just a concern troll and debates in a way the mods agree with. Your information is great. Thank you. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Blizzard could stop enabling the players at anytime by discontinuing realm transfers entirely. Want to realm hop? Time to reroll.

2 Likes

Players can also choose to not transfer as they are not forced or required in most situations.
Blizzard did not force player movement, players chose to do this and abandon otherwise healthy realms due to FOMO.

However if you mean to imply that players cannot control themselves then yes, blizzard should not have offered realm transfers.

2 Likes

Choosing to profit off of a problem you’re enabling makes you part of the problem. Putting it all on the players isn’t telling the full story.

1 Like

Players chose to use optional services and caused the explosion of populations into mega realms at the expense of otherwise fine realms. How did blizzard cause this? by offering an optional service?

What are your ideas for how they should have caught this back in classic?
lock realms? - see how well the community took to this when they did it.
Set caps on factions? - people quit over time which creates a need for constant monitoring of active players to open/close a realm based on that. This also exacerbates faction desparity more as what happens when one faction dips? reopen the realm? for how long? What happens when players who took a break come back and their spot is gone on that server?

This to me is the one case where yes, it is actually on the players for causing and not blizzard.

1 Like

Server management = “make people play where I want them to play”.

This is an awful solution whenever anybody says it.

1 Like

To each their own, I think the population balance would be better off if there wasn’t an option for fickle FOMO transfers. I don’t have the numbers so I can’t say whether FOMO outnumbers “I just want to play with my friends” type transfers.

Locking the megarealms was a great start. We made it further into Wrath than we did TBC before the dead realm chatter started up. They caved and opened up a lot of the higher pop realms though.

Transfers should be used to bolster failing pops not as lifeboats. I’ll put it on Blizzard on ways to incentivize players to transfer to lower pop realms since wow players don’t do anything without a reward. But as long as they’re profiting why should they?

2 Likes

First response was Bloom LOL.

I get that this is annoying, but it’s better than asking someone to redo 100+ hours of effort just to switch servers.

Blizzard would rather sell server xfers than actually fix problems in the game. It’s the short term profit meta most gaming companies have now adopted, and the white knights on here eat it up and think they are doing it for them.

1 Like

Ever heard of the game Lemmings?

Blizzard is god in this situation, we all knew where the players were headed, Blizzard is the one that didn’t do anything to prevent the players from walking off the edge.

2 Likes