Seriously, How Great Is Maldraxxus?

I so completely feel you on that. I cannot tell you how many times I swore I was running towards a quest turn-in when I was running away from it.

… Uhh, only in Maldraxxus, of course. Not like every zone! That… That would be silly.

2 Likes

Maldraxxus had the best leveling campaign, I’ll admit that much.

Still, not a place I’d like to spend eternity. All the undead and hypercompetitive nature of the place really don’t vibe well with me.

2 Likes

lol My leading cause of death this expansion so far has been the pursuit of treasure chests, and sadly my lack of direction has complicated that problem. The first town you get to in Revendreth I saw the icon on the minimap and went “ohh! a treasure chest!” Got it, then aggroed the level 60 gargoyles, fell off the cliff and took about 10 mins trying to get back to the town >_>;;

3 Likes

Been through 3 zones so far and Maldraxxus is visually the dullest one. It has excellent storytelling potential though, what with the rival houses and all. There is a real “Army of Darkness” vibe about the place though with seemingly 50% of the population being composed of ambulatory skeletons.

I don’t agree with this, mostly because it’s so…unique in WoW. All of it is a wasteland, even the parts that are brimming with mushrooms and life. And they somehow made five distinct biomes in the skeleton wasteland. The Seat of the Primus and the arena at the center are awesome landmarks visible from pretty much anywhere. I love the zone design.

8 Likes

I also chose Maldraxas to better optimize my holy priest but I also enjoy the zone. It’s ugly (art team knocked it out of the park again) but that’s the point because war is ugly. And while the denizens have honor (although standards might be a better term here), they are very upfront about what they do, nothing pretty to hide behind there. Also, Marileth is a sweet heart and I love him and his little slime buddies.

7 Likes

We all need a Kevin in our lives.

9 Likes

I don’t know. I haven’t got pass the start kill x quest of the zone.

Visually it’s horrible but I love it! i loved the story! :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

The only thing I see that’s ugly in Maldraxxus is the battlefront where the House of the Chosen clashes against the House of Constructs!

Everywhere else is beautiful in my opinion!

The Seat of the Primus has Hair everywhere, the House of Rituals has Crystals everywhere, the House of Plagues is a Lake of Plague, the House of the Chosen is a Fiery Forge and almost everywhere else is a Fungal Swamp filled with Green Liquid Death!

2 Likes

Leveling through Maldraxxus was sort of a slog past the opening mosh pit quest, but I liked it thematically all the same.

I’ve only done the beginning parts but I’d say I enjoyed it enough. I liked doing the quests with Lady Vashj, and the House of Plagues subplot was good.
The dynamic of “honorable warriors vs. mean ritualists, mean abominations, and plague monstrosities” was annoying until the Chosen Baron guy turned out to be a scumbag, too.
Kyrian abominations… hehe. That was fun.

Artistically, the zone was a lot easier to look at than Bastion, and it’s bright/pastel horror. it’s a shame there’s not another way to just get the Forsworn covenant armor. To my surprise, though, Ardenweald is turning out to be the most visually enjoyable so far, but we’ll see how that holds up when I get to Revendreth.

I do like the mystery of where Fatebringer’s skull came from. I’m sure we will find that out at some point.

2 Likes

Oh it’s well designed ( as in layout ), it’s just not jiving with me visually.

The tri headed death doggo is in the seat of the Primus next to the dude who gives you the trainee quests.

Also last night I noticed a lot of what look like black elephant grass actually resemble giant hair follicles. So it does appear we’re on a big chunk of flesh with a really bad razor and an even worse skin care routine.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with the House of Chosen?

The only issue I see with them is they only get represented almost exclusively through Draka and Alexandros because SPOILER

Krexus, the actual ruler of the House, jobs out to his baron, Vyraz, very early on and we lose control of it.

But the idea that it’s basically just a organization purely comprised of the most seasoned and skilled fighters from across the cosmos is nothing to scoff at. Sure it’s not the body horror, spooky zombie, fun-times that we get from the other houses, but it’s still a fairly great concept with regards to what the zone is supposed to represent.

4 Likes

Honestly they’re fine. But standing next to a bunch of Dr.Frankensteins with buzzsaws for hands, arachnid centaur and charming gentlemen plaguedoctors they do come off as a little dull.

Granted as we’ve only just met (yesterday was the first time I got to really sit down and drink it all in since hitting 60) I am hopeful they’ll get more interesting down the line.

2 Likes

The Theatre of Pain is the best possible introduction to this place they could have chosen,
none of this “Wait! you’re not dead!?” nah nah nah “GET IN THE DAMN PIT, LESS TALKING MORE FIGHTIN!”
just glorious.

9 Likes

Only one house Margrave survives and she joins us after Kel’Thuzad(who made Sin’dane invade Bastion alongside the other Traitor Margrave) backstabs her!

The House of Rituals’s Margrave Sin’dane is ultimately the dominant Margrave after we save her from the Maw’s agent just as we save the Archon from Devos and Renathal from Denathrius!

I mean, I’m legitimately happy for people who enjoy it, but I absolutely hated that vile, revolting, unoriginal, repetitive, recycled zone. Just a bunch of re-used Plaguelands assets, seen it before, been there done that. I’ve enjoyed literally everything in Shadowlands… except Maldraxus. Maybe my most disliked zone of the decade.

You don’t have to use such flattering words here, the artists will never see them.

I didn’t think so. Yeah, the aesthetic vibe is supposed to be similar, but I don’t think there a bunch of re-used assets, and if there are, there is still plenty of things that are original. The only thing I really found repetitive was going back to the Seat of the Primus each time we activated a rune on the runeblade- that was probably not necessary… but it wasn’t really all that terrible either.

3 Likes