Serious Issue With Massive Raids on WrA SW

So. I have made several tickets about this issue, but was recently directed by the GM who answered the last one to make a post on the forums about it, in the hopes that ‘enough notice would be generated, that something could be done about it’.

The raids by Horde players on Stormwind on my server are absolutely out of control. We’re not talking 1 raid of 20ish people. We’re talking massive, 50+ man raids that always end up dog piling into the Mage Tower, which lags out the server. You can’t mount much of a defense to that; it’s always sourced to a couple level 1 anchor toons somewhere, who invite multiple raids. Recently, the problem children have ALL been people trying to gain notoriety by streaming their clusteryouknowwhats on Twitch.

I get it. I PvP, I love world PvP.
But Wyrmrest Accord is an RP server. RP. As in, ROLE PLAYING. As in, we have some decent PvPers, but literally, most of the people on that server (I said most, not all), do not do hardcore PvP. Even some of the ones that do, there aren’t enough of them to even mount a hardcore defense. We had some scrub Streamer show up with a 15ish man group the other day, and he was unfortunate enough to log in and show up when some of the people who do PvP were online, and proceeded to get wiped three different times (and then another 2 times when I logged because work) by people who are literally sick of this mess. He also caught us outside of the Tower (where he initially was, when the defense was initially in the process of being mounted), which meant less lag.

Long story short - it’s getting to the point where it’s not even fun anymore. At the highest point, this has happened every. Single. Night. for over 7 nights in a row. Some level ones get rolled, somewhere outside the zone entirely, and manage to anchor entire raids of 30-80 people. That’s right. EIGHTY PEOPLE.

ALL CRAMMED INTO THE MAGE TOWER.
Guys, it’s not even fun. My comp was built specifically to run this game. I’m on Cable internet. I don’t get lag, I don’t have 10,000 addons to bog my system down, and there was literally nothing you could do. I loaded into the Mage Tower from Boralus, and instantly went from my average 60 FPS, down to 1. One. There were so many names in the tower, both Alliance and Horde, that you couldn’t move. It took me 20 minutes just to get from the load in to halfway to the portal, and by that point I gave up and logged into another character who wasn’t in Stormwind.

Problem was, there was still lag. These people lagged out the entire server.
How is this fun? How is this engaging gameplay? How is this World PvP, when you can’t literally do ANYTHING? On either side?

I’m tired of massive raids piling into my RP server and bogging everything down. It’s not like we’ve tried to just ignore it - raids get formed, defenses are mounted, and most of the time they either get bored from dying all the time or for some other reason, and they log, or they leave. But the ENTIRE TIME, the server is lagged out so bad you can hardly do anything. Using any portals in the Mage Tower is useless. Even as far away as Silithus, spells take 5+ seconds to cast. Moving is a pain in the neck.

This needs to stop. There needs to be repercussions for people who are purposefully forming raids in order to pile into the Mage Tower and lag out a server. I’m not sure how this hasn’t been handled yet already - a relatively famous YouTuber/Streamer was banned for this kind of mess before. Multiples. But when multiple complaints are filled out by numerous people asking for help, we get stuff like “well just turn off Warmode while you’re in Stormwind” (WM was off for at least 4 of those situations, didn’t help). “PvP Issues = PvP Solutions”. Also doesn’t help. Can’t do World PvP if you’re getting 1 FPS and nothing is moving. I can’t even imagine what it was like for people with older computers than mine.

There needs to be something put into place, that keeps these massive raids from basically shutting down entire servers.

• Maybe Guards that are 20+ levels higher than current cap, placed in regions where this is an issue (mainly, Trade District and Mage Tower on my server - I’m against putting them in mainstay access places for killing Anduin, as Anduin is part of the PvP achievement for the Bear and that’s not fair to the other side). Make them massively surge in and nuke people trying to do this.

• Put SW on the same phasing/sharding server as Boralus and anywhere else. That way people who are not interested in World PvP do not have to deal with this; in order to keep people from abusing the /pvp flag, make it force people who use /pvp to the Warmode servers. I’m not sure why this got left in the game to begin with - there should be no difference between opting into World PvP via Warmode, or /pvp.

• Persons who are level 1-20 (and appropriate adjustments for Allied Races/DKs/DHs) should not be allowed to be a Raid Leader/the lowbies should not be able to establish a Raid. There’s no reason, if they’re being carried through something or grouping with like-minded people for something, that another person could not hold the Raid Leader position, and thus, keeps them from being able to jump 40 people at a time to a server they aren’t part of. All of the raids on WrA have come from other servers - Notably, Illidan, Tichondrius, Emerald Dream, and Kel’thuzad. Only one of those is an RP server. The rest are former PvP or PvE servers. RP servers have specific TOS codes of conduct; breaking other people’s immersion by doing what these raids are doing, are literally TOS violations for the server. The people assisting this whole fiasco need to be held responsible for that.

• Likewise, people you are in a raid with, should be in the same area you are located in. You should stay on your own server, until you reach that person’s location. The fact these Horde lowbies are in starter areas or NR Dalaran, and yet the entire raid is in SW in Warmode, is ridiculous.

• No Horde, at any time, should be able to run and hide in the Stockades. Likewise, no Alliance, at any time, should be able to run and hide in Ragefire Chasm. Stocks is being repeatedly used as a get-away, and Horde bob in and out of the instance as needed to evade having to stand toe-to-toe. I know Horde have the same issue with Alliance. If you come in the city to PvP, you shouldn’t have a get out of combat free card meant for lower-level players. If you came to PvP, then PvP. Don’t run away.

• High-activity like this should trigger some sort of alert for a GM, to notify them this is going on. I was told in another ticket that ‘we are monitoring the situation and will handle it accordingly’, which was false. The entire server was lagging so badly lots of people went to play on other servers. That’s how bad this has gotten.

I’m not against World PvP in the slightest. I like PvP as much as the next person. I’m an achievement person, I like the shiny stuff, but at some point it’s not even fun any longer - it’s people being trolls just to be trolls, and at that point, it needs to be shut down. it’s not even a matter of ‘well we’ll handle it when it gets too much’. It’s at that point now. A 40+ (at LEAST - it’s usually more) man raid in my city’s main hub’s Mage Tower every night, during peak time/close to end-peak time, most of whom don’t make any attempt to kill Anduin and they’re there for over 4 hours, is not fun. That’s not PvP. That’s being a pain in the neck. Alliance on my server has never done this, they might go into Org with five or ten people to goof off, but it’s never piled into their portal room. It’s never somewhere that lags down an entire server.

Please fix this. It’s not fair to people who do not wish to have anything to do with PvP, to be forced to deal with the insane amount of lag this causes. It’s frustrating, it’s irritating, and having to log to another server just to get away from it is ridiculous.

Edited to clarify a couple points and put in a couple things I forgot.
Here’s a link to the message from the GM - names obviously blocked out. My name is also not Kareem, I’m assuming they copy-pasted from another reply to someone else about this same issue, and forgot to change the name.
https://imgur.com/a/cwKhqE5

30 Likes

I just put popcorn in the microwave.

16 Likes

What a troll GM

15 Likes

Yeah, when the GM told me to do a forum post, I’m like…so, you ready to close it when the people who didn’t bother reading come in, or the people calling me a QQer come in? Because that’s what’s going to happen XD.

2 Likes

I can understand why they did it - the Forums always seem to get more response than tickets do, especially when people are all saying the same thing. It certainly got the DH nerf reversed lol. Either way, my issue isn’t with the world PvP, it’s with the purposeful lagging/attempted crashing of the server.

1 Like

The GM sent YOU the forum BECAUSE he cant DO anything. KEK

Players ARE playing THE GAME its NOT their fault
Practical SOLUTION for you, turn off warmode LEAVE the area temporarily.

Blizzard NEEDS to fix their TERRIBLE servers.

These ZERG communities on BOTH factions DO need to STOP its ANNOYING and NOT enjoyable.

Nothing WILL change in REALITY.

In THE END we can ALL hope blizzard GETS their ACT together.

1 Like

TL;DR

If this is about my Stormwind raids, then all I can say is, “Sucks to be you.”
Raiding SW is NOT against the TOS.

5 Likes

You didn’t even read the post.
I don’t care about SW raids. You want to raid SW, have fun with that.

Raiding SW to purposefully camp the Mage Tower and lag out/crash an entire server just FOR THE STREAMMMSSS, however, IS against the TOS. Please read at least part of the original thread. You’ll see I’ve said repeatedly I have no issues with the PvP. PvP all day if you want, idk. But when you’re crashing an RP server (which has their own rules - things like breaking other people’s immersion, naming rules, OOC conversations, etc.), then yes. You’re breaking TOS. AND, on top of that, you’re being a punk. Given you were leading the raid at the time and you’re not from an RP server, I’d expect you not to know the rules for RP servers. It’s just easier to pick on people you think will be an easy target, right?

But you would know that. You’re the one we wiped repeatedly the other night :D.

11 Likes

It was lagging out the entire server. Leaving the area wasn’t going to help. It didn’t help. I had to log into another server entirely to kill the lag. WM off or on, it didn’t matter, it was still lagging the ever-loving crap out of the entire server. CRZ was a mistake, Warmode affecting no sharding in SW was a mistake. I made this thread because there’s literally nothing you can do to stop the lagging out until either they leave, or you go play somewhere else.

They’re literally making the game unplayable for people who have 0 interest in taking part, and that’s not cool at all. It’s an annoyance that shouldn’t even be a problem; if you come in to PvP, you shouldn’t bother non-PvPers with it. If you come into a city to PvP, you should be faced by other PvPers, and it shouldn’t kill an entire server when it happens.

The PvP isn’t the issue. The lagging the entire server out for people who have no interest in PvPing, IS the issue.

4 Likes

Nothing will be done … Ruin has been doing something similar in Naz, multiple times a day for the last 6-7 months every day and nothing has been done . Blizz obviously approves of this type of WPvP.

Edit :- And thanks for making this QQ post, I am gonna look for a raid in LFG going to SW tonight. Bored out of mind anyway so might as well do this . :smile:

8 Likes

Might be better off tweeting Blizzard about it. I doubt they read this section of the forums.

1 Like

Why ARE we TYPING like this in EVERY post?

Yes PVP happens on servers EVEN PVE ones BUT blizzard ISNT going to do ANYTHING about it. SORRY your’e not ENJOYING it.

:woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

Would you rather I bolded it? Otherwise emphasis is lost. But keep contributing 0 to the conversation. Every time someone answers, it gets bumped to the top and more people weigh in.

I was told to post it, which is what I did. For people to berate me and talk crap about grammar, or ‘lol you don’t like pvp’ when I literally say multiple times that I have 0 issue with PvP period, it’s crashing the server for people who do not PvP that I have the issue with, just means people can’t read. Which isn’t my problem.

I will no longer be responding to this thread. I’ve said everything I was told to post here, at this point it’s beating a dead horse for people who have enough capacity and capability to read a forum thread, but apparently don’t comprehend anything that was said in it. It makes 0 difference to me, I’m not easily offended, and I really don’t care what people think about me as a person. It’s the internet, and everyone’s going to have an opinion as long as they get to stay relatively anonymous XD.

For the people commenting after me that also didn’t read the post, let me bold it since caps apparently offends people.

I don’t care about the PVP aspect of this. Or PvP in general. I care that these people are lagging out my server for the sake of a stupid Twitch stream. They’re killing my server activity because they want to be cool on the internet. And they’re being a pain for people who do not want to take part in PvP, since Warmode and non-Warmode inside Org and SW are merged.

I hope everyone has a great week/weekend.

2 Likes

You too … see you in the mage tower.

2 Likes

Alliance have been raiding Org on ED daily, too. It’s not like a single raid group dropping in to kill the boss either, but a couple of raid groups tying up key areas of the map - and it does lag out the server something fierce. I mean, that’s what happens when like 20 UDK’s pop their pets all at the same time.

I get raiding a city, going in with a team, causing some mayhem here and there - do it up, but why do people need multiple raid groups? Why 60-80 people? Why 30,000 pets and 600 banners? I mean, at this point, it’s not even PVP. It’s more like a DDOS attack. It’s not PVP when people can’t even control their toons anymore because of server lag.

Frankly speaking, I think this sort of “PVP” is trashy no-skill garbage. I love PVP… but this isn’t PVP. It’s a different beast entirely. I recently raided every single Alliance city with a guild group of less than 20 people total. We killed the city bosses, fought some Alliance, and escaped every time. Heck, we even carried a level 20 mage on the raid and got them some achieves! This is what Blizzard had in mind when they talk about “Epic WPVP” - not these no-skill death-balls lagging out the servers that have been happening lately.

Sad thing is the people participating in these sorts of things are all proud of themselves - “We totally wrecked!” Yeah… I guess that’s what happens when you bring in multiple raids, pop 30,000 pets, plant 600 banners, and lag out the server. It’d be nice if Blizzard did something about this, seeing as it’s going beyond mere “PVP” - it could be construed as DDOSing and/or griefing and so in violation of the TOS; however, I won’t hold my breath.

Honestly, it’s people like this who will eventually wreck “Epic WPVP” for those of us who don’t abuse the system.

Thanks for your time,

Barespanks

P.S. - OP… you can’t expect special treatment for RPer’s. This is a PVP issue, not an RP issue. This is affecting everyone, not just RPer’s.

P.S.S. - before some wiseacre says it, turning WM off doesn’t help. The server still lags out while it’s happening. The issue isn’t “PVP” per se, it’s the amount of activity happening in one location.

5 Likes

I ate an entire four course meal while I read his post. :rofl:

9 Likes

I was actually just poking at the guy that types like that in every threads he responds to, hence why I quoted him.

But yes, lag happens and Blizzard hasn’t done anything about the toy spamming that certain zerg guilds are known for or the 40 man multiboxers of years gone by. They’re not going to do anything now either. :woman_shrugging:

I have a bunch of observations, one about how RP server capital cities work, and several on how to repel this kind of invasion.

RP Server Capital Cities:

Contrary to what the GM seems to believe, capital cities on RP servers do not have separate war mode and nonwar mode shards. This is a good thing, not a bad thing, because it means RP interactions can include both people with war mode on and those with war mode off.

It also means that those who are not in war mode can choose to ignore the invasion, turn war mode off, and keep their PVP flag off. They may still be affected by some lag, but it’s not like lag is a huge issue in Stormwind; a few seconds of lag when you go to the banker or the auctioneer won’t cause you to die.

However, from the point of view of people who like world PVP, the people who ignore these invasions are really part of the problem. They should be encouraged to flag for PVP, or even to turn war mode on.

Defending Capital Cities

On a large server like Wyrmrest Accord, you should be able to mount a defense of Stormwind. Organize a defense raid and recruit in trade chat.

I recognize that Wyrmrest Accord is a former RPPVE server, and so may be mostly people who would rather not defend against the Horde. Perhaps some of them are even under the misimpression that Horde are not bad people. Invasions like this should disabuse them of that impression, but some people like to stick to their fantasies.

If refusal to help defend Stormwind prevents you from mounting an adequate defense, and since you enjoy world PVP, I’d suggest joining some large PVP oriented communities from which you can recruit. Some of these are full of people who are highly experienced in raid versus raid combat and know how to wipe Horde raids. Once you wipe them, camp them until they log off. The only way to stop this in the long run is to make it unfun for the Horde players.

If you are in Boralus, don’t use the portal to Stormwind. Find another way. For example, find a mage to give you a portal to Ironforge, then use the tram or a flight path, so you can avoid zoning directly into the combat.

When they are holed up in the Mage Tower, attack from the Stormwind side. The Mage Tower is now in the same zone as Stormwind, so you won’t have any loading lag.

When they retreat to the Stockades, camp the entrance for 20-30 minutes. Kill them instantly when they stick their heads out. Once they are bottled up in there, you should have the advantage, because they have loading lag to get back out and you don’t.

I would love to help out if I hear about one of these invasions.

Out of Band Defense:

You could also consider going to their streams and making fun of them after you wipe them. After all, people aren’t going to watch lame streamers who lose all the time.

Do as ruin says and turn wm off. or its working as intended, or not our fault blizz servers are bad. basically the answer is pvp happened. sucks to be u and it lagged out. better luck at a different hour of game play when someone isnt attacking

4 Likes

Probably easier to get a group together too if the WM-on and WM-off people aren’t separated. Especially on RP servers where the attack may be disrupting activities that non-WM players are engaging in.

But I definitely agree. There’s no way some of the larger community members wouldn’t jump right on a defend Stormwind listing pretty quickly.

1 Like