Seeking advice on roleplaying an exiled Draenei shaman

Hello! I’m on Moon Guard as a Draenei shaman who lost his family in the transition to Azeroth. He blames the Naaru in his grief and turned to shamanism, abandoning the Light. Dragis has wandered Azeroth alone for years and now calls Gilneas home as an immigrant of sorts.

What I’m seeking is general advice in roleplaying such a shaman. I’m looking for things to consider and other things I may not have thought of just to help flesh out the backstory and how Dragis should act in roleplay.

Thank you for your time!

For starters, not sure how I feel about Gilneas. Far as I remember it’s been abandoned since Cata and the Forsaken basically blighted the place. It’s not that you cannot use it, but it would be a very lonely existence outside of a few undead maybe.

Your choice to Shun your own people is not really indicative of being a shaman nor would it really shape the “type” of shaman you would be. Doseki here is a bit of a nomad himself. While he hasn’t abandoned his people per say, he is over 500+ years old and has been around since before the War of Three Hammers had gotten started. His descendants believe him to be a myth or family legend passed down because he’d not been active until the Cataclysm; Having lived and trained in the Elemental Plane since just after the WoTH. Even then he hasn’t directly interacted with his “family”.

• So first I’d see about how “active” Dragis could have been with the events of Azeroth and beyond.
  • How long from the time of BC and the Cataclysm when Greymane Wall fell was he exploring Azeroth.
  • Did he somehow find himself within Gilneas prior to the Wall’s fall?
  • Has he only ever been on Azeroth or did he go back to Outland for example.
    – What about AU Draenor or even his homeworld Argus in Legion.

Basically think about where Dragis fits into the Narative of the story. What events might he have witnessed or been a part of and how could they have shaped his personality. Having been in the Elemental Plane until Cata for example; Doseki here hasn’t done any of the story in Warcraft I, II, III, Vanilla, BC, or Wrath. While he could have knowledge of these events, he didn’t fight the Defias in Westfall, Onyxia, Illidan at the Black Temple, Arthas atop Icecrown, etc and so forth.

Once you have a general timeline of events you can work on his involvement in those events. I have a Tauren who has been searching for his Lifemate in vain since she disappeared during the 3rd War in Northrend. When he failed to reach the top of ICC and killed Arthas he grew depressed and isolated himself. Not becoming active until the Legion when hearing they had been taking hostages since the early years. Skipping over BFA, and searching again in Shadowlands.

A lot of these little answers will help to shape your character’s personality and in turn what kind of Shaman he is. Is Deagis an Elemental Shaman, a Farseer, a Dark Shaman who forces the Elements to do his bidding as opposed to asking them for their aid and gaining favor with them.

Does Dragis choose to heal in memory of his family he couldn’t save, or does he channel his rage and grief to make sure no other suffers the same fate. Is there a particular element he identifies with perhaps? Being hot headed it’s possible the fire elementals respond more to him. Calm but with an underlying fury, then maybe Water. While in-game water is often used with healing, in reality it can be equally as destructive as any of the other elements.

1 Like

How can you call Gilneas home since it

1. Walled itself up long before any of your race reached Azeroth

2. Would not have ever welcomed a nonhuman

3. It’s now a blighted wasteland where nothing that breathes can reside?

Some good points here. I’ve decided to re-evaluate the guild I joined. I’ll have to find a different Heavy RP guild where Dragis fits in better.

Actually there is a druid questline that cleans up Gilneas, it’s not a blighted wasteland anymore, I think it happened during Legion I think?

And as for OP, I usually have my draenei look at things in a more analytical sense. Draenei are usually a lot smarter than most, and usually a lot wiser since they’re basically ageless to an extent.

I’d say have him look at the Elements in a way of being mutual spirits with them; he is an exile and the Elements could feel like exiles themselves, what with their past and how the new Primalists are using their gifts for such atrocities.