Season of Misery?

feel free not to play. I hear TBC Classic is “bussin”. :roll_eyes:

it is good. vanilla WoW is one of the most successful video games ever created.

Vanilla wow is influential, and I will say it was successful in the fact that better versions of it came out.

If vanilla wow, and thus, classic wow, were still fantastic ideas, then there would have been the same surge of players that vanilla, then tbc, and finally LK experienced. It wouldn’t be dropping.

Just because something worked in 04 does not mean it’ll work in 2021.

It’s not really a question of what it is “in your mind”. To rephrase your question, what are the differences between Classic and Retail?

That is objective. You can put the clients side by side and see the difference. Classic is the sum of the game and all its parts in 2004-2006. Retail is the game and the sum of its parts now.

Obviously, retail is built on the core of Classic content from 2004, so there are nuances to where this overlaps, but to answer your question, flying mounts are considered a “Classic TBC” feature, and achievements will be considered a “Classic Wrath” feature in due time.

This does nothing to confuse the differences between Classic Vanilla and Retail, though.

Furthermore, I would consider something “Authentic” when a change is made to the game of 2004 to either break metas that did not exist at the time, or to make minimally intrusive changes to work with a potentially shorter release cycle or season.

Correct.

That’s fine, I don’t really mind. Perhaps I should be more clear, though.

I find the distinction between my attitude in this regard and a lot of others I have seen post its that they seem to think that they somehow can expect Blizzard to implement their favorite feature from some other iteration of the game, but the moment someone mentions a system of feature they don’t like from a later stage of the game, they flip out and say things like, “No they shouldnt add flying. Flying is trash and I hate it. But they should add the token because I love it and its great.”

There are astronomical numbers of combinations of “these systems are OK but not these” scenarios.

My stance is, don’t open the door to any of them but what benefits an authentic experience to the game of 2004-6, because there is no way to objectively identify what should or shouldn’t be put in, and if you put everything in, you just get retail, if you put nothing in you get Classic.

I will say, to your credit, you are the first person I’ve seen that is up for any and all changes that could be conjured up, so don’t take this as me misrepresenting your position.

The only way to suss this out and not leave it to Blizz to shoot from the hip would be a voting system, which…

While this is true, you seem to think that the democratic process is lightning fast and highly dynamic… It usually isn’t, and I highly doubt this would be one of the cases where it is.

An example: Blizz does as you say and implements a voting system to SoM. Several changes are voted on, now time to see player feedback. To give your players enough time to experience a system, form an opinion, and get feedback. Bearing in mind that each week represents roughly 2% of the total season, what percentage of the season would need to elapse before unpopular systems get corrected, if they are only being corrected through a democratic process? 8%? 32%? You then must consider how long people are willing to stick around if that much of the season impacts them negatively.

I understand you think it doesn’t matter because there will just be another season, and I respect your opinion there, as there is no grounds for objectivity here, but I sincerely doubt players that get burned by this once in a season and quit will be very interested in doing the next season if the same potential is there.

Contrast this with Era servers. There is no progression that could be interfered with. There is no timeline. There is no screwing up months of your playtime because of a whacky vote that you essentially need to wait to be voted out, eating into your time to progress. The negatives about doing it on a Seasonal realm just aren’t there in Era.

This feels like the take of someone who hasn’t been on Era in a while. It’s depressing… it’s often single digit numbers of people online, in a game meant to accommodate thousands.

I’m not saying remake all of them into voting servers, just ones with the most sparse populations. Consolidate those others, that is more than fine with me. You could even give the players that stay on servers repurposed for voting special titles or something.

But to think that Classic Era realms, as they are now, would outperform a voting system implemented on permanent servers, a-la OSRS, is frankly delusional.

And this is a strawman. I’m not speaking about all of the servers having this done, and it sounds like you are VASTLY overestimating the populations on the lowest of the low pop Era realms.

Not being able to put together a group for Deadmines or BRD after 12 hours of trying, is in fact, not authentic.

I personally agree with the most liked comment on the announcement thread; The xp boost is garbage. I’d rather it not be there, along with some other changes for the sake of authenticity, but others, like breaking world buffs in raids or mage boosting, I agree with because they restore authenticity to those aspects of the game.

I think you’re missing what I’m actually saying… You’re absolutely right that it could go good or it could go bad…

But what is nigh guaranteed to go well is an authentic vanilla wow experience, as close to it as can be managed. This is evidenced over and over on pservers, and most obviously with the 2019 release, as well as the positive reception generally of SoM.

LITERALLY didn’t say this.

I never said radical changes couldn’t be favorable or even exciting and good. If I hadn’t made this clear, if they did the voting system on select Era realms, I would play it! I’m interested in what would happen. I could potentially even see myself making that the primary iteration of WoW that I play… I just sincerely don’t think it’s a good idea on SoM.

Yes. People don’t play Pong anymore. However, Ultima online seems to have managed a different fate.

Lol that brought me back. My friends and I used to say, “That’s cute” to people that were very serious to be inflammatory neerdowells that we were in middle school. Literally no ill will here, it genuinely made me chuckle.

reason why I play ally, they are chads and don’t need handicaps to do everything in the game.

Nope, play alliance if you want to be a paladin.

Because that isn’t classic (duh) but that aside I enjoyed faction specific classes, coming in from the 3rd war there was no shamans among the alliance races, there was no paladins among the horde, and before anyone says “paladin sunwalkers” they did not exist as a concept in the lore yet, the sunwalkers didn’t even begin existing in concept for the tauren until wrath where Brightmane and Sagewind began debating things, and Dwarf shamans were wildhammer dwarves who were not part of the alliance in classic, yes we help them, but technically only the dwarves of ironforge were in the alliance.

Edit: Sorry for the rambling I am a lore nerd.

If we’re gonna do that give the classic paladins taunt and actual threat gen lol.

ya but like what alterations cthun now will spawn adds in the wall woooo

All bosses will more then likely be pre-nerf and have abilities that were removed etc.

two questions, 1 do you happen to know/remember any abillities that were removed? I can’t find any solid info, 2 wasnt pre nerf cthun impossible or just improbable?

It. Is. Seasonal.

Which means, they have to start with the bare minimum changes that could potentially upset people. Nevertheless, people still stampede to the forums to find something they’re unhappy with.

Maybe they’ll implement something like this in future seasons if the community asks for it enough.