Script ran too long - too sensitive?

Was there a change to the max amount of time allowed for a function to process in Dragonflight?

I am plagued with so many “script ran too long” errors, and the worst part is - I wouldn’t even know it was happening if it didn’t trigger as an error, but because it triggers as an error, many addons don’t have error handling set for it and end up crashing because of it, even though if it was ignored the addons would run fine…

occasionally triggering tooltips cause it, ex. hovering on my gear for pawn score
clearing Details! overall cause it sometimes
searching my bank with Bagnon’s search bar causes it
sometimes opening my bags causes it

can this timing be adjusted?

like really, I’m running on a Ryzen 5950X, I can’t imagine how it is for people with slower CPUs

What I found with googling the error is that its pc performance-related (that’s my opinion anyways) and this may be more of a tech support issue than something you can get help from here. This forum is for players helping players usually for macros and addon usage. Generally its above our paygrade to help with troubleshooting game issues and real blizz employees do respond in the Tech Support forum.

A few things you may want to look at:

1. You may have way, way, way, WAAAAAAAY too many addons
  2. You have a TON of stuff running in the background of your computer
  3. Your PC (or parts there of) is underpowered for WoW

How many addons are too many? No right answer, but you can try disabling all the ones you think are not essential and see if things get better. Also, Just because its an addon, doesn’t mean that it was professionally written. Addons are written by other players who do it for free. A lot of their code is world class stuff but not all of it is and poorly written code in one addon can cause problems for all addons.

Everyone has stuff running in the background on their PC’s but of its nice to have and not-essential. Open Task Manager before starting WoW. Task Manager is the built-in windows utility that shows CPU and Memory usage and what’s running. The important tabs are:

• Processes tab: This will show how much memory is in use and free. Ideally you want at least 8GB Memory (RAM) free before starting WoW.
  • Startup tab: nothing here is absolutely necessary for Windows, just nice to have for what you want to do. You can right-click disable them here and then restart and see if you needed them after all. If you do, go right back to Task Manager and enable them and restart again.
  • Users. If multiple people use the computer and each one has their own login, its really easy for their logins to still be running in the background while you play. And if those logins are running, they take up memory and CPU usage. You can disconnect users from here with a right-click. They can always login again later.

To check if your whole PC meets the minimums compare your PC to these specs.
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/76459
Some of these specs are new for DF. For example, I don’t think installing wow on an SSD’s was required for BFA but it absolutely is now and trying to run WoW on an older drive (HDD) is nightmarishly bad for performance.

Side note: RAM is generally a cheap upgrade for most PC’s and WoW works very well on an external SSD too (plug that sucker into your fastest USB port and just leave it plugged in). If your PC was made by a big company like Dell, their support should be able to answer how much a RAM upgrade is and which USB ports are the fastest ones on your computer.

Personally haven’t had any issues with it and run Bagnon, Pawn, and Details.

Those symptoms make me suspect there are multiple addons doing stuff to tooltips and others scanning tooltips all together. Tooltip scanning is relatively computationally expensive already. Get a bunch of addons scanning a tooltip everytime it does something (and potentially going recursive if multiple addons start having a party for every tooltip event), and I can see that script ran too long happening a lot.

1 Like