Scaling mobs for your spec

What are your thoughts on scaling world mobs based on healer/tank/dps?

I’ve always thought it’s rather annoying to go around killing a bunch of mobs for quests as a healer. I know you can just change to a dps but I feel like you shouldn’t have to switch your spec to kill mobs. And besides switching specs now is a hassle. You have to put on new armor, new soul bind/conduits/ new enchantments ect. (Yes you don’t have to do this but to be actually viable for other content you do for the most part). So my thought is scaling mobs based on your spec. Kinda like what they did in torghast. Thoughts?

1 Like

That’s the fundamental trade off you get for the benefits of playing as non-dps role. Why should anyone play DPS if healers just get to also dps just as effectively?

Tanks shouldn’t get to do DPS levels of DPS, DPS shouldn’t have Tanks’ durability, and healers? … Healers decide who lives and who dies.

3 Likes

It’s not really that bad as a healer. They already make all the open world content so faceroll easy that healers can kill stuff rather quickly (not 1-2 shots like a dps but still rather fast). Pretty much all the time you spend questing is running around and looting

1 Like

Seriously?!!

It’s not easy enough or you now?

I just Chromie timed thru Uldum and Twilight Highlands on my Dwarf Holy Priest (who uses all light, no shadow, spells) and practically walked both zones. Before that I Chromie Timed thru Val’sharah on her and it was the same thing.

If you are having a rough time, maybe you need to redo your rotation. Or your mindset.

So why should anybody heal or tank if they will be required to master and maintain both?

And there you have it, the reason why there are so few tanks and healers, because to be a tank or healer is twice as much work. And people like you think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect tanks and healers to put in twice as much work.

1 Like

Every single tank and healer has a DPS spec.

2 Likes

Don’t want.

Hate scaling altogether, all xpacs preLegion are superior imo simply because scaling didn’t exist. Mobs were mobs and didn’t change based on who you were

1 Like

I never asked for more dps I just think they should scale down the health…

Is the only thing you do in the forums is be rude and petty for no reason? Not just this one but every post I’ve seen so far by you you’re very negative or being straight up rude. Are you okay?

This hasn’t been my experience. What healer do you play and what ilvl are you?

But we shouldn’t be told to play dps just to kill things. We should play the spec we want.

1 Like

All the stupidity is making me cranky.

Maybe you should shut off your computer and hop off the forums then.

3 Likes

all world scaling give a bad feeling that your efforts/ progress is being invalidated.
It also gives a false impression of how effective your character should be/ feel in group content. a mob scaled way down because of your spec will leave you feeling nerfed in other content of supposedly similar difficulty.

now, there are ways to make it feel better and scaling has a place but scaling should always stop at level. scaling to your ilvl negates the point of getting gear. doing it wrong could make scenarios where deleting your gear is a power increase. because power isn’t numbers. its how much effort it takes to succeed. 2 hits with no gear and 2 hits with gear is no difference.

instanced content, especially solo instance content can benefit from scaling based on spec or at least based on roll, but if its scaling based on a role it should not be scaling to an ilvl.

one way to sort of balance a scaling mob is to consider gear quality. imagine a player with a specific gear quality at that level should have a similar number of hits across all levels assuming gear is appropriate for that level. so if a Epic geared character did battle with the same mob they should feel powerful compared to a green geared player fighting the same mob.

at max level world mobs should be scaled to a specific difficulty and stay there. they should at no point scale up but could scale down IF a lower level player needed to interact with the mob by design. in this leveling scenario the mob should still be fairly close to its intended power level at 59

but in any case, i would rather that damage be better tuned so that mob scaling to spec wouldn’t even be considered a thing that may be desired.

so lets put the roles on a scale where Heals tank and dps sit.

Baseline mobs should hit like they are fighting a healer in green gear
Mobs should be expected to last as long as if they are fighting a tank in green gear

Now with that, DPS do 1.5x the damage of tank single target
a heals does 1.25x the damage of a tank single target

in this way, the mobs remain the same and the classes baseline is what gets tuned up or down.

Mobs could be scaled up in difficulty by raising the expectation of the quality of the gear.
later game areas, could expect a baseline ilvl. “tuned around being ilvl 233” for example.

but over all that gets very complicated. its almost easier to just test that its doable with all classes with a certain gear level. some classes and specs will enevidably have an easier time but challenging world content will naturally encourage grouping up to do the content. and if the quests expect that to be the case, the “suggested 3 players” quests should show up more often for areas where the content is intended to be vastly more difficult unless you have “end game gear” maybe the mobs expect heroic gear to solo but can still be done if a group tackles the challenge. or players are able to out play the mob.

now to that end, strong mobs should be like those Rares that have a few deadly but telegraphed attacks. your fine if you avoid the big hits. MoP has a number of these.
but instead of rares, the could be the more difficult world content normal mobs.

1 Like

You don’t have to. But if you want to kill faster, you have the option. I am Resto main and run around as Balance to quest. It’s not difficult. It’s nice to switch things up. Blizzard already upped the damage of healers and tanks back in Legion. By quite a lot.

I think it’s bad for an MMORPG to have scaling in mobs of any kind. Mobs should be a constant by which you get a feeling of your character power.

Rather the game should not be designed in a way that requires solo damage to progress your character. In the end game at least. It should be some NPC that fight for you or you should be getting enough materials through special role bag at the end of dungeon runs as a healer.

I just don’t trust Blizz and their scaling numbers.

I’d rather they implement a bodyguard feature.

2 Likes

Why would I ever quest as a dps or healer then when tank goes brrr

1 Like

You’re a big boy, you can kill stuff in healer and tank spec

This isn’t classic where healers have 1 damage spell and tanks basically heal the mobs

For open world stuff it would just be a convenience for tanks/healers. If doing our chores at the same speed is a problem for DPS, they can kick rocks.

True, it’s really only twice as much gear/conduits!

2 Likes

I like scaling but making it adapt to your spec is a littlle bit much.

and I think that changing specs for different aspect of the game is a good way to keep a healthy balance and you learn how to use your class a little bit better.

I would agree with you, if we still had the spec fantasy we got on legion wich to me, was 1000000% better that stupid Class fantasy

It really isn’t. You’re getting the conduits as you quest. And since it’s just questing in offspec, your stats are meaningless. You aren’t running high end content here. You don’t need to min max to run callings and Korthia. Use another soulbind and you’re golden.

I’ve been doing this on all of my healers every expansion.

It’s not about should, it’s about would. People would still roll regular DPS instead of tanks or healers because of responsibility. Chiefly that there’s an overall higher responsibility among tanks and healers.

People are already not rolling these specific roles because they don’t feel like dealing with the drawbacks. I’m not convinced that adding more DPS to healers and tanks would help, mind you, but I can’t say it wouldn’t for certain, either. At the very least I can say that I hate DPSing in dungeons on my healer and if I could do even more DPS I’d be even more obligated to do so, so that wouldn’t be tons of fun.

Then again I might be one of the few people who genuinely would rather be constantly pressing some healing button rather than trying to DPS enemies at the same time. (In fact, you can’t make me, but I don’t do high keys on my healer either so it’s less important)