San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed}

So needing a break from my term paper, I’ve thought more about the lead-up questline that would lead towards the San’layn allied race unlock questline. It’s similar to what I’ve typed up in the Ogre megathread, so I’ll use that format for here.

As usual, some assumptions to make before we begin:

1. Dreven is going to be revived and given purpose. Since the whole storyline involving him boils down to skeletor voice “Mwheeheehee I am teh evil emos, I need the powerz, get over here zombies! Om nom nom oh noes I am teh asploded! ALLIANCE WINS! FATALITY! FLAWLESS VICTORY!” malarkey in the Alliance war campaign. We’ll be assuming him as the representative, for now, and tie him into Sylvanas’ fall from grace. Speaking of which…
  2. Sylvanas is slowly going coo-coo for Cocoa-puffs, and we can tie in her getting worse base on factors in this quest.

Again, keep in mind that this is not perfect, and will need fleshing out. That said, let us begin…

We begin with a messenger that pops up in Orgimmar to the player character. We’re being summoned to meet with Sylvanas, Nathanos, and some of her Val’kir in a secret location: her ship in the middle of the sea where that battle took place.

We’re told about the San’layn here and their mission, mentioning that it obviously went as bad as a gasoline elemental trying to make a campfire. Despite this, a contingency plan was put in to revive the San’layn, as Sylvanas really wants and needs them to be part of the Horde, and they need the Horde to survive. The Val’kir know how to revive San’layn, from being under the Lich King, but we need to collect something in Northrend that helps give them power, given that San’layn are a bit different than the usual undead to raise. We get a portal opened to some place on Northrend.

We meet a San’layn contact, who is there to help us collect the macguffins needed, likely in a cave with some mobs to kill. As you collect them, this contact explains who they are, their situation, and what they’ve been through, which is the point of this part. We’re trying to paint that the San’layn aren’t just monsters we thought they were. After collecting the macguffins, the contact opens a portal back, thanks us for listening, and we arrive back.

We give the macguffins to Sylvanas, and stand back and watch as Dreven and his group have been raised back to the unliving.

Sylvanas: Arise, Blood Prince Dreven.
Dreven: Uhhh…that voice…where am…ah! Warchief!
Sylvanas: It is good to see you again Dreven. The plan went well…for the most part.
Dreven: Indeed, although circumstances were…
Sylvanas: No need to worry about that. You did what you had to do.
Dreven: Yes, though I am still confused as to why you allowed me to sacrifice your own people.
Sylvanas: They played a part in serving their warchief. Their deaths were sadly the means that the end result will justify in the end.
Dreven: …really, now? So your people are just tools to be used and discarded as you see fit?
Sylvanas: Watch that tongue of yours, Blood Prince. I’ll remind you that-
Orc Grunt: Warchief! Pardon the interruption, but we’ve received word that the Blood Trolls are launching a massive attack from the swamp!
Sylvanas: Sigh…I thought we took care of them. Nathanaos, champion, Dreven, go assist our new allies. And Dreven, we will talk more later.
Dreven: As you wish…warchief…

We’re currently setting up a future cutscene, and planting the seeds that Dreven’s actions may have been planned by Sylvanas, and that he did what he had to do to succeed for his people. We’ll find out more why this is bothering him in a bit, but for now, off to Naz’Mir!

We arrive in Naz’Mir to find that the Blood Trolls have amassed an army, complete with blood golems running amok! The Horde and Dreven’s group attack, with the San’layn really decimating the Blood Trolls thanks to their blood siphoning abilities. After a fierce battle, the Horde succeed. Rokkhan, who is there, thanks Dreven and compliments him. Dreven responds appreciatively, hitting it off pretty well with him.

Suddenly, the area is filled with a thick mist, and the Alliance attempt an ambush at the Horde, thinking that they’re tired from the big battle. Of course Dreven and his group just turn into bats and, using echolocation, completely destroy the mist totems being used and those who operated it, causing the mist to disappear. After destroying the Alliance, Rokkhan asks you to report to Talanji what had happened, and asks you to take Dreven with you to speak on his behalf.

We arrive in the throne room, where you explain the battle and also vouch for Dreven.

Talanji: The champion speaks highly of you, Blood Prince. I will admit, I had my doubts before, but it seems you are a useful asset to dis war and my people.
Dreven: It is a pleasure of mine, Queen Talanji. I am sure my people can offer much to help you with this Blood Troll problem.

Suddenly, we have a visit from our old friend…

Bwonsamdi: What be goin’ on here, ya majesty?! So dis be where mah missin’ elf souls went and…wait a moment…dis be the work of dat banshee queen again?! Oh no no no mon, it bad enough she be taking human souls away from me, now she be takin’ elf souls?! Pah!
Talanji: Bwonsamdi! Dis be a private meetin’ an noone invited you here!
Bwonsamdi: Mind ya manners, ya majesty. De loa have a right to be anywhere they be pleasin’…bbbuuutttt I tell ya what, though. I be offerin’ that deal again from before, only dis time, ah be offerin’ ya fadda’s soul to be in peace.
Talanji: You mean you’ll let him live again?
Bwonsamdi: No no no, mon, ah be crazy, but not DAT crazy. Nooo, ah be offerin’ his soul to be restin’ in peace in da afterworld and not tied ta dat offer he made ta me. And you…be free too!
Talanji: I told ya before, I’m not interested! Now get out of here! I’m done with ya!
Bwonsamdi: Ahh…shame, shame. But don’t be thinkin’ I be forgetting dis…
Dreven: What a cheerful fellow…must be fun at parties.
Talanji: I’m sure you can imagine.

This cutscene just adds to the tension between Talanji and Bwonsamdi, while also getting her to be a bit more warmly to the San’layn. Dreven is respectful not to be two-timing, but is working diplomacy in hopes of officially getting the San’layn as part of the Horde for survival. Any interaction he has is sincere, and will play a bit later on should a coup occur.

After all that, we get summoned to Grommash Hold in Orgimmar. We need to report what happened in Naz’Mir to Sylvanas. Nathanos is also there.

Sylvanas: Ah, champion. I see that relations with the Zandalari are stronger than ever. I hear also that you, Dreven, perform admirably as well.
Dreven: Indeed, warchief.
Sylvanas: You seem troubled, Blood Prince.
Dreven: I came to you to help save my people, thinking that as former blood elves, you would help save us. Instead, I can’t help but wonder if under you, we’d end up like those forsaken on that ship…
Sylvanas: I assure you, Blood Prince, I do not just take the lives of members of the Horde lightly.
Dreven: Oh? Funny you mention that, as I hear you’ve blighted your own troops haphazardly.
Sylvanas: A consequence of war. It was not a light decision.
Dreven: And then I hear that the Forsaken, this supposed “free-will” that you oh-so graciously “given” them when they raise from the dead, and yet I see them ruled with an iron fist to the point where I can’t tell if they’re living beings or gibbering zombies.
Sylvanas: Watch it, Bloo-
Dreven: And how am I to know that if my people join, we won’t end up that way? Lives to be thrown away, then resurrected, and dying once more. It’s funny, it sounds a lot like what my people had to contend with under a certain king…
Sylvanas: …never compare me to HIM!
Dreven: I find that interesting you say that, because thats what I’ve been hearing in the time I’ve been around, before and after that mission I did for you. I must admit, the parallels are quite noticable.
Sylvanas: ENOUGH!
Dreven: Enough? Enough is what my people had with dying and then being forced into slavery. To be puppets and war tools for years! How do I know we won’t suffer the same fate under you?! You of all people should know what we went through!
Nathanos: holds up his weapon and aims at Dreven
Dreven: Oh yes, lapdog! Do go ahead and kill me for raising concerns for my kind! I’m sure my people will just happily join your cause after the fact!
Sylvanas: Nathanos, stand down.
Dreven: Unless I have promise that my people will not be thrown away and will be free, then we will just accept our fate. It is better to be free in death than slaves in life.
Sylvanas: Very well, Blood Prince. You have my word.
Dreven: Excellent. Then I shall be off to meet with my people. I would advise you to do the same someday…and I don’t mean your zombies.
Nathanaos: Should I have him followed?
Sylvanas: No, I would rather not risk anything upsetting them further. Besides, he’ll know his place soon enough.

This scene is meant for two reasons. First, we’re establishing that Dreven had emotions, a love for his people, and does not want what happened before, with the Lich King, to ever happen again. Do not worry, the San’layn are still planned to be an allied race in this scenario. It also establishes a reason that, if there is a coup, why the San’layn would side against Sylvanas.

The other is meant to show that Sylvanas is really starting to head to the deep end. She is use to people being scared and adopting an obsequious posture. Dreven’s attitude plays on her trying to keep her composure, bringing up what she went through to give a form of internal conflict, and since she wants to get the San’layn into the Horde, she has to swallow her pride. It sets in stone any actions that start a Horde civil war.

We’ll also foreshadow this in this last cutscene…

The player character walks out and a quest opens up, mentioning a beckoning chill that leads to a private area, and we see our old buddy just relaxing there.

Bwonsamdi: Hmm, maybe dis be workin’ out after all…ah! Da “champion” of da Horde! Glad ya be makin’ it mon! Oh don’t worry! Ole Bwonsamdi isn’t mad or here to waste ya time. In fact, I don’t have an offer to be makin’ ya, but I wanted ya to keep somethin’ in mind. Dat Banshee Queen, she not very popular, ya? Dat much ah know, and it be seeming to me that her time as warchief is dwindlin’ and dwindlin’. Now, I’m not askin’ ya to just go and off her, bbbuuutttt should circumstances occur dat be leadin’ to dat outcome, weelll, les just say ole Bwonsamdi will be pleased. And he already be pleased with the souls ya be deliverin’ to him thus far. Jus keep dat in mind, champion mon…"

As a player character, we can’t really sell our soul to him, but this is meant as foreshadow that eventually, actions may be taken that require Sylvanas to be removed, and we all know how much Bwonsamdi wants her!

Anyway, thats the questline I thought of that would lead into the San’layn allied race unlock quest. Sylvanas still wants them to join the Horde, albeit with her pride having been wounded, it establishes who they are, albeit it needs some more work to show them off completely, and sets up some future events.

Fun to type, but I need a break now. Maybe more term paper typing…blah! _o _;

6 Likes

Absolutely GLORIOUS!
A perfect distillation of what too many of us have been saying for MONTHS now!
Her word means NOTHING! Nor does the Horde mean anything, to her!
Our ‘debt’ to her, for helping us get into the Horde has been long repaid!
#NotAnArrow
#ShoulderOFF4Saurfang
Flips hair MOST defiantly!

3 Likes

In this scenario, Dreven did what he did on the ship out of necessity. His actions would have caused him to go into a blood rage because he felt he needed to survive, and Sylvanas did mention that the crew was expendable. We give him emotion by having it bother him after the fact, and applying this to his people.

His attitude in the scenario is also meant to show his status as a Blood Prince. One that does give respect, but isn’t afraid to back down and bare his fangs should he feel threatened. He leads his people, and they have been through a lot. The San’layn would see how similar she is to the Lich King, and it causes a distrust. He accepts Sylvanas’ promise not because he believes he, but he wanted to hear her actually say it.

Sylvanas also can’t just outright kill him out of rage. Not just because it would cause problems with the Horde, and it would, or that she wants the San’layn within the ranks, which she does akin to how she wants to decimate Stormwind to add to her “people” so to speak, but she knows he is right. If she kills him, he wins, and she knows it. She would get no satisfaction, and this drives her crazy.

Dreven: Thats the thing with you, isn’t it? You got a taste of it when you were under his command. And now, you just let go of your feelings, your memories, your true people, and for what? Toys you call an army. Toys that you just have no problems breaking every time you have a hissy fit and want things to go your way. You like the power, don’t you? It’s funny, I’ve lived for so long under him, and I remember who I am. You just remember what you want…and that is why, my dear warchief, you will fall one day. Just. Like. HIM.

5 Likes

This is the winning description for the day, by the way. Had to point that out. Anyway, carry on, :3

Also this.

This is a good series of discussion, I can almost hear it in their voices (and the one I made up for Dreven in my head, of course). It captures both of their personalities well, and fleshes out Dreven more too.

This would make me so happy to see. Argh, the more we talk about it, the more I hope for it to be reality. I really hope Blizz is actually looking at our feedback, especially with the work you put in to put all of this together.

I love this bit too haha, humorous and shows more of his personality :smiley: I’m gonna bookmark this thread too for reference, this is a very important well thought out one.

Yeah I read through it and really enjoy it. This captures something well that many people just forget conveniently about the San’layn. They died trying to avenge their city and save it by traveling to Northrend. Devout to their people, they gave their lives in that snowy desert and surely as intelligent undead would hold the same loyalty as before, but perhaps with somewhat twisted ways, as we’ve seen from time to time. It would be up to the individual to make these choices.

This can totally piss her off, and very importantly? It also establishes further something we need. That’s more show of the undead being unhappy with her actions. This will put a divide in the intelligent undead, and we have only seen that with Lillian. Reasonably, a lot of undead should be absolutely pissed at the denial of free will. With what Dreven says, it makes perfect sense. It’s why my toons hate her so much. Nevermind her destroying any hope of the undead not being looked upon negatively–but upon finding out that she wanted to deny someone of free will, regardless? Absolutely rabid.

4 Likes

Dreven serves ultimately as Sylvanas’ foil. She wanted the San’layn for her. To be her “people.” But actually getting the San’layn?

Dreven: I have been a part of the Horde for only a few days at best, and I understand it much more than you ever have in your “lifetime.” I even know names of different citizens, who welcomed me with open arms. Did you ever accomplish this, warchief? Did you know those people that got blighted had family? Friends? I’m surprised we’re not all part of your undead army at this point. It must drive you crazy to just be so SPITEFUL at all of us. At least I remember that I am a leader, as did the other Horde leaders!

A bit of a double-edged sword. Whats Sylvanas going to do? Turn into a banshee?

Dreven: Hahaha! Excellent! You are pissed off beyond belief! Let it be known that it was Blood Prince Dreven that finally broke the Banshee Queen! Well? What are you waiting for, go ahead. You want to end me, don’t you? End all of your problems, all of your frusteration, just so you can play god-emperor. But I warn you, dear Warchief, that if I die…so too shall your reign.

I’m having too much fun with this. <- <

5 Likes

So in thinking about the allied race unlock questline, although I haven’t fully thought of it completely, there are a few things that should be in it:

1. Lor’themar should be the one to start the questline. Liadrin did recruit the Nightborne, but in this scenario, Dreven and his San’layn posse would go back to Silvermoon at some point, wanting to learn more of what has happened with Silvermoon. They would hit it off very well.

2. The questline should involve the Alliance making a push across the Ghostlands and Eversong Forest and by ship. They want to remove the Horde off the Eastern Kingdoms. This can lead into the warfront rumored to be there, but this also shows how loyal the San’layn would be to earn their trust with the Horde members and how valuable they would be as allies.

3. Part of the questline involves Sylvanas planning to blight Silvermoon if it becomes overrun with Alliance. This makes the battle even more tense, shows that the San’layn and everyone involve keep fighting to prevent it, and adds more to Sylvanas becoming Looney Tunes. The San’layn even more than ever, once they join the Horde, have a good reason to help a coup if one happens.

4. Every Horde race should be represented in some way, including new ones. Nightborne especially need to be there. If Vulpera have joined, have them led by Nisha in the attack as they help scavage items, with even a quest to collect items for them. If Gilgoblins have joined, have them assist at beaches to attack Alliance ships or in water areas in Ghostlands as an ambush. This also goes for the Alliance. If Mechagnomes have joined, have them as mooks you fight and tie in that they don’t have blood.

5. At the end of it, all the leaders support the San’layn, which is a reason Sylvanas induct them into the Horde, even if she might start to be dubious about it with Dreven’s attitude. After that, he can act the way I had him the last few times just to act as her foil.

I still think before this, there needs to be a meeting of sorts to find where all the San’layn currently are in Northrend, but I honestly will admit I’m not currently qualified to work out the details.

Also, I want to say that I hope that I am not stepping on your toes, Fallynn, as I realize that a lot of work has been done by you, and I know you mentioned thinking about making a video with your own ideas for questlines, and as such I don’t want to upstage you if you had ideas of your own.

In the future, I may try to flesh out the allied race unlock questline whenever I can. This Greek Art and Archaeology term paper is, sadly, not going to type itself up. x_x

3 Likes

Don’t say this silly! Am responding only to this bit for now, because I like sitting and thinking a bit about the important chunks and delay a while because of it (it’s why you’ll see me like but won’t get a solid response for a while). I think your ideas are wonderful and anyone here should be able to come up with them. All ideas are usually good ones, and there’s no primary idea holder, haha. I’m just the gal that slapped the thread together, everyone else is relied upon just as much with their ideas too ^^ I appreciate and love it.

1 Like

I think there needs to be some sort of button pushing by a character at some point, that brings up a ranger fighting to defend her homeland aganist invaders only be to killed by a monster and raised into undeath…then a comment like then that monster sat fire to her home, Teldrassil, or something to flip it on Sylvanas, maybe she’s unaware how much like Arthas she was in that instance. It’s a really weird situation with how much she hated him, and now she’s done to another, what she hated him for.

Maybe that could be why he’s poking the bear so much…he sees Arthas, and perhaps hated him.

5 Likes

Poking the bear comes down to two reasons:

Lor’themar: Why do you keep antagonizing her? You know what she is capable of doing, right?
Dreven: I know very well, but I suppose part of me just hopes that somewhere in there, our ranger-general hero exists. Either I hope that she realizes the path she is heading, or…
Lor’themar: Or…?
Dreven: …or we have truly lost her, and we’ll be needing a new warchief soon.

3 Likes

I love your ideas here though and read through them. Basically I think indeed it’s important to show that they aren’t just puppets of Sylvanas. Reasonably they would be upset at how twisted she has become because it would remind them of Arthas. I have an idea for where the remaining San’layn can be.

1. Underground of Northrend. We encountered a Blood Prince in Anhket the old Kingdom, where we cleared the area of bugs. That’s gone untouched for over a decade…
  2. Naxxanar. On this thread people have expressed interest in having a horde necropolis, and the biggest concentration of San’layn besides ICC was that area. It’s where we first off Valanar.

Also… The blood orb that rezzed the three princes by Lana’thel has yet to be mentioned or found. We were desperate and rushed through ICC. Hmmm… Devil is in the details :wink:

1 Like

I suppose another question to ask is if the new Lich King factors into any of this. I’m guessing not, since the San’layn group in BfA was trying to join the Horde, and if they were freed forever after Arthas died, then they would be extremely dubious to Bolvar being around. Based on some interactions in the Vol’Jin questline, Bolvar may not be as benevolent as people thought he would be with the scourge.

3 Likes

Ok off-topic somewhat but I just had to share this because I know some of us are horror fans…

and then, after

3 Likes

BARF!

I would love it if she and all her Dark Rangers became Darkfallen. Consolidate all undead elves into the one, superior variety.

Continuing on from the “poking to bear” reply I made awhile ago:

Lor’themar: Indeed, but what of your people? Our people? You know she would likely just condemn all of you, right?
Dreven: Not a moment goes by where I stop thinking about my people, and that is precisely why I do what I do. You see, we San’layn were slaves for such a long time, that we would rather fight than just submit to another Lich King. Were something to happen to me, my people would know, and she would know soon thereafter the blunder of her mistake. Besides, after jailing that Tauren leader, do you think she would just continue to silence us so?
Lor’themar: I…honestly don’t know what to expect with her.
Dreven: Precisely. Tell me, what if you end up as Baine did? Or what if you send your people into battle, only to have her blight all of them to get at the enemy? Friends, family, just gone. In an instant.
Lor’themar: I…I think I understand your reasoning better.
Dreven: There is one thing, since we are discussing this. If we ever have the need to dethrone her…and were something to happen to me…I ask that you help watch over my people. Help make sure that they are taken care of. We…have been through so much and…
Lor’themar: Your people are ours. You have done much for Silvermoon, both in life and in death. All of you have a place here.
Dreven: …it feels good to hear the warmth in your voice. Thank you, Reagent Lord.

This is just showing another side of Dreven. Yes, he can be snarky, towards Sylvanas specifically, but he is someone who is a ruler and wants to make sure his people have a place. It’s important to show that he isn’t one-note and has emotions.

3 Likes

So I’m reading the “Before The Storm” novel I got as one of my birthday presents in March, and it has been a fun read so far. I mention this because it does show Sylvanas being nuttier than squirrel droppings.

Without spoiling anything, shes pretty hellbent on wanting the Forsaken to continue increasing in numbers, wanting to decimate Stormwind and turn everyone there into her zombies, and seems so full of herself being a “ruler” of them all. This is also been shown in game as of late in various forms.

It’s a lot of why I was inspired to give Dreven the personality I gave him in my scenario, and I really think that it is key to play on that for the San’layn to become an allied race. It’ll make things more interesting, and maybe even get people to see past the “no more elves!” argument.

I for one want them to just drive her batty as members of the Horde. :V

3 Likes

I support your desire to get the San’layn, I think they would make a nice foil to the Worgen. That classic setting of vampires vs werewolves.

7 Likes

I agree. Your ideas are excellent and I hope they’re taken seriously. Simply brilliant, and I’m honored that you put so much work into thinking about this. The story and development is really well thought out and a nice refreshing story that I feel the lore desperately needs right now.

1 Like

Woo san’layn ftw!

4 Likes

Thanks for the cheers!

They are pretty much dead. With Blood Prince Dreven death it was said their threat was eliminated. If you want vampires, wait for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2. They aren’t elves BUT there are the Kiyasd, which are fae/vampires. Not that you will be able to play one as they are rare as hell, and Sabbat, BUT they at least exist…