San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed} (Part 1)

I can give an example to better build up what I’m thinking;
Say the ‘flavor’ racial on an undead elf race is two things:

1. Embrace of the Vampyr
  2. Embrace of the Banshee

I am not doing zombie as an example because that might encroach upon forsaken. Your two undead elves would therefore be the banshee (and therefore dark rangers if you’re a hunter) or a San’layn.

Now, this Allied Race would have a variety of markings for indication like Mah’gar, but it wouldn’t really be the markings that make you different. Since vampyr and banshee do look so similar, you’d pick regular ears for banshee, or bat-like ears for San’layn. Both could have fangs, and both could have either red or black eyes. Eye markings could indicate banshee, but I suppose also work for San’layn. If you want to be a Banshee that looks like a San’layn, I guess that’d be on you. Just like how you can claim you’re one orc clan I guess but have the markings for another, that’s a RP-esque idea that sounds odd, but hey, people can do it.

The spellskins wouldn’t apply to every spell, as that would not be fair. Basically, it’d apply to only the racials of this theoretical allied race. For example:

1. Active lifesteal buff
    Under embrace of the vampyr, you would put your hand out and see blood being drawn from your target. Under embrace of the banshee, you would see a ghostly effect, life essence, being ripped from the target. Gameplay-wise, both spells would do the exact same thing, but flavor-wise, it wouldn’t.
  2. Supposed Racial Mount spell
    Under embrace of the vampyr, your mount cast would make you turn into a cloud of bats. Under embrace of the banshee, you would gain a banshee form. (Come on, this would be epic)
  3. A random proc ability?
    Under embrace of the vampyr, you would gain a bloody aura/shield. Under embrace of the banshee, you would gain a ghostly aura/shield.

So these are just my ideas an examples of what this would do. This way we’re distinct from Mah’gar, as markings aren’t the real differentiation, and we’re different from Zandalari, as the “Embraces” are for flavor and don’t modify how the spells work in gameplay. Just the looks.

Now, I wouldn’t suggest this for every single class or spell because that would be giving us too much, if you catch my drift. That is better fit for class skins. No, these ‘embraces’ would only affect our ‘racial spell looks’ if you know what I mean. We also could gain a cool aura based on the ‘embrace’ we select.

5 Likes