San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed}

There was something on twitter I saw once with that entire scene (gnome walking along, then getting attacked by the San’layn) where this song:
https://youtu.be/Sg0CeRog-yQ

Was playing and then cut off when the gnome was attacked. It was HILARIOUS but sadly… I can’t find it again.

4 Likes

I was going to just leave the forums completely but I figured I’ll just stick to the ONLY two threads I’m interested in and that’s San’layn and Stonemaul Ogres.

I did put in a suggestion for an Exquisite Costume Set for San’layn for next Hallow’s Eve. It would probably have to be a blood prince or queen costume though since they focus on heroes/villians. It would be the next best thing to actually getting them and you would just horde a crap ton of charges for the rest of the year. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:+1: Playable San’layn

Side Note: I started doing digital art so might have a San’layn pic within the next month. I’m not as bad as I thought I would be with the digital stuff. It’s just not as good as my free hand pencil and paper art.

6 Likes

No love for the Sethrak? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ogres are awesome. So are San’layn.

I’ll throw a suggestion like that at them too. That sounds neat.

7 Likes

Now that wings are available i’m really hoping they’ll give us some Venthyr-themed vampire wings.

THOSE I would buy.

4 Likes

I’ve never really been into reptile races but I know others are. I hope Blizz adds as many races as they can. The more diverse the better imo. Would be really boring seeing nothing but orcs and humans all the time imo. I LOVE orcs but I would get sick of it at some point.

EDIT: I miss read that as Saurok, lol. I actually was hoping Horde got Sethrak instead of Vulpera tbh.

Can’t hurt to suggest it. That’s what that thing is for as far as I’m concerned. I ALWAYS suggest stuff to them that I think would improve the game or make it more fun imo. And it’s Hallow’s Eve so why not include other costumes/races especially a vampire race.

6 Likes

Think I’ll be doing the same with the Allied Races threads. I wander sometimes and immediately regret it. Truthfully, there’s not many on the forums I get along with or like, especially lately. There’s an abundance of personal attacks, lies, and rudeness. It’s why even if I see someone insulting this community in another thread without context, I say nothing. Not worth my time or inciting an argument. If someone has a problem, they can bring it up in here. I think I made myself clear in this post on it anyway:

Would be interesting to see. I don’t think they’ve added costumes in a while but perhaps they will again. Going to be honest, I don’t bother farming for them anymore considering they’re charges and not toys. Just seems… meh. I don’t like the costumes. I wish we could actually choose what boss we want to turn into with the Transmorpher toy. It’s so stupid that you can’t, especially since it’s purchasable.

Nice! Huge congrats on starting it! I admit, I haven’t been doing it much lately. My spirits have been very low when it comes to virtually everything (not really game related. Just in real life woes.) Perhaps I’ll get back to it again eventually. We’ll see.

Yeah I agree! I was sad to see no bat wings for the Revendreth wing-cloaks. Hopefully someday they’ll add something like that. I feel like such a thing would have made far more sense anyway, considering Halloween is close and they coulda had a vampire/gothic theme for the 6-month reward. Ah well!

5 Likes

This has always been my opinion on them. The fact that they’re consumable has always prevented me from caring about them in the slightest.

This would be great. Even if we were presented with x amount of choices that we could choose every time he spawns, and then given the option to choose random. I’d prefer just choosing in general, but this is Blizzard we’re talking about.

3 Likes

I’m 100% with you on this. It seems that anyone can just flag you for absolutely no reason and get away with it and the moderator doesn’t even appear to check on these things. I’m much happier without the forums or just visiting the AR threads.

I’ve never farmed for those costumes, not even the Grom one that this avatar is transmogged after. Charges = no fun imo. A toy would be better but Blizz ruins toys by making the CD far, far longer then the toy stays active. An example of this are the Burning Blade toys that give you their banner and other gives weapon and banner. They last like 10 mins. each but have something like an hour CD. Really? Where is the fun in that?

And that transmorpher is a cool toy but I’d hate to end up with a character I don’t like so I agree it would’ve been better to have your choice of character. Far more RP value I’m thinking if you got to choose and probably more players would’ve bought it. I haven’t bought because I am not into RNG BS.
Looks at Invincible the invisible horse

Thanks. I’ve already learned to use layers and I found a nice link that showed how they do layers and I actually like their way. You do a rough, basic sketch and that will be the middle layer. Your background is the lowest layer, layer on top of that is basic, flat colors, layer on top of that you do a basic shading, layer on top of that you do a basic lighting and then your basic sketch is on top of that. From the one pic. I’ve tried this with it actually starts to come together with just those.

On top of your basic sketch is more detail, lighting, shading, color, reshaping/moving parts, and changing looks. You can do a layer for each of those and put them in any order though I try to keep them in the same order as the basics variety that are layered below your basic sketch.

And real life sucks. I’d say don’t let the woes of life be an anchor and drag you down. Find something you enjoy like your writing or art and let that be a life preserver. Hopefully it will help keep you afloat when the seas of life gets rough. Hang in there. :hugs:

4 Likes

This happens all the time.

I’ve ended up with this yahoo so much that I’d like to never again hear about how he is ‘the greatest of his father’s sons’.
https://www.wowhead.com/npc=28586/general-bjarngrim

4 Likes

I went through a spree of getting Benedictus constantly, to the point I’d get him back to back. Now I haven’t seen him in months. RNG is crazy.

2 Likes

People use “Twilight” to insult this community when in reality I think most of us prefer vampires like in Castlevania.

https://youtu.be/0uLFL4b4jYg

I LOVE the Netflix series, I think it has to be my favorite piece of vampire media right now, to be completely honest. They are a perfect example of looking nice but also being absolute monsters–and Alucard is a great example of a good antihero.

Also sad to hear the new VtM game, Bloodlines, looks to be pretty much dying. Another important person working on the project left. I was really looking forward to it. Oh well :frowning:

7 Likes

Less Twilight, more Romanian

I always get female elves.

Always.

Elisande, that one from The Nexus, one from one of the Tempest Keep Dungeons

Not a single Blackhand, ever. No ogre. A single troll, but it was at least a forest troll so I was happy. Like one orc ever.

Blizzard is adamant about me and female elves.

3 Likes

I found this video on youtube showing off music and ambience of Revendreth, showing off several sections of the area. I figured I’d share it in case anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkH-vxrB58w

It’s a bit of a long video, but you never know if there is anything of interest in the area. :bat:

4 Likes

Hey everyone, I drew my vampyr rock band, they’re called “Those Bloody Whelps”. I love the Darkmoone Faire band, so I made one myself out of San’layn a while ago. :slight_smile:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/419589093593317377/769807759012003850/Those_Bloody_Whelps.jpg

Note: I’m a beginner artist and still learning a lot!

12 Likes

They gave Dracula back his stache!!

And yes that’s reason for me watching. It was in the original designs for Dracula but was excised for the stage and the two 1931 Draculas. (btw watch the Spanish version of 1931 Dracula. Although it used a similar script and the same sets the actor playing Dracula made some bold choices which ended up with a drastically different Dracula than Bela Lugosi)

4 Likes

You’re getting better at framing out the forms and poses.

5 Likes

I still haven’t watched that series and I should since I use to play all the Castlevania’s back in the day.

I actually prefer Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (2000) the movie, which I own. I also own Vampire Hunter D (1985) special edition which wasn’t as nice art style wise. Also appears to be an animated series of Vampire Hunter D coming out but that has been n the works for 5 years or so and I won’t keep my hopes up.

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyFfyDpy7Rk

Vampire Hunter D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6k6TrnLvZo

Mainstream vampire movies I’ve enjoyed have been Dracula Untold, Bram Stokers Dracula (1992), Interview with a Vampire (1994), The Lost Boys (1987), Blade 2 (2002) especially the extras with the vampire covenants to explore, the Underworld movies though they start to get more stupid the further you get into them, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012), Priest (2011) and Daybreakers (2009).

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003) has a vampire in it but I don’t consider it a vampire movie but I still enjoyed it. I also like the old black and white movies and the Abbot and Costello with Dracula ones also. Van Helsing should’ve been better imo. It wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t really all the good either.

Twilight is not a vampire movie to me. Never seen it and never will. It reminds me of a teens version of vampires and werewolves where they get EVERYTHING wrong. It’s O.K. to rewrite some vampire lore sometimes but it has to be written as good or better NOT worse as is the case for Twilight.

SPECIAL EDIT: Two things to add to your art that will make it stand out more are highlights and shadows on different layers from your sketch and colors. Even minor or simple versions.

2 Likes

I haven’t, but it’s important to remember it doesn’t follow lore exactly, from what I’ve heard. My lover did and said as such (same with Witcher) but it ended up great despite that (in our opinion).

Fair! I tried watching it but am very picky with art style, so unfortunately I didn’t end up doing so. It just… isn’t a style I like. Also why I can’t watch “Dragon Prince” or something on Netflix. That isn’t an art style so much as the animation gives me a headache.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ReadyNeatCurlew-small.gif

IT MAKES ME SO SAD THAT IT DIDN’T DO WELL. Like argh… people were first whining about “historical ACCURACY IN A BLOODY FANTASY MOVIE” for gods’ sakes. But it set up PERFECTLY for an urban fantasy modern sequel that we’re now never going to get.

It’s so weird because vampire fans I talk to generally really like it, yet it didn’t do well, so. :frowning:

I saw this very recently and enjoyed some of the concepts (not all of them though). I love the vampocalypse idea (it’s what my own series is based on though my lore isn’t like that). The ‘cure’ and ‘blood substitute’ not so much, but it works in the context of that world.

Trust me, I do this, and RIGHT. Agreed, twilight does not.

Yeah I’m still learning highlights and shadows more, I could probably add shadows on top of the minor shading I do, but I’m not good with light sources yet. I’ve been focusing a lot on anatomy and getting that right, and it’s difficult for me to sit through a learning video (very short attention span). I’ll prolly look at some guides for it and such as I move along.

1 Like

Researching historical accuracy for anything isn’t my thing, but I usually like seeing others do it, and if I find out that something is inaccurate I do tend to be quite critical, but considering the type of movie this is I don’t think it’s very necessary to be accurate, as long as it doesn’t pretend the other stuff is accurate, for obvious reasons.

That said, some people can’t think for themselves very well and when they see anything that isn’t in the modern day they take it for history, which is probably why most people complaining about historical accuracy in such movies do so. I don’t entirely disagree with it, tbh.

If you add this type fantasy in a historical setting taking the history part seriously isn’t a bad thing either, in my opinion and the opinions of many others it makes things better.

1 Like

Um, what historical accuracy are people complaining about? Vampires are a myth and not real. People will complain about anything it appears.

From everything I’ve heard over the years it always points to Romania. They even use to cut off the heads of people they thought were vampires and put it between their legs and bury them if I remember correctly.

And Vlad the Impaler, or Vlad Dracula, I believe just use to stake people and eat in front of them. I think he is the person Dracula is loosely based off of in myth. But not an actual vampire. Not sure if he drank blood but that could possibly be part of the myth that got the vampire lore ball rolling.

And in your art I could just make out your shadows. I’m not a great artist but I would suggest you make them a little darker so they are a little easier to see.

And either take pictures of you or people with a light source or sun in the direction you’re going to draw your characters. You can somewhat copy the highlights and shadows minus the bone structure differences. Could even search online for faces/body parts with a light source in a particular direction just to get the basic highlight/shadow locations on faces and body parts.

Keep up the good work. :+1:

EDIT: I saved your pic and will try to add some basic highlights and shadows. If it turns out well I’ll post but my sub time is up tomorrow so might not be able to post till I resub.

2nd EDIT: Fallynn your shadows are rather nice. I started to shade it a darker color and your shading is good. It’s better then my shading imo. Definitely start shading darker. Your art is better then it appears because your shading doesn’t really show up unless you’re close up.

Also, I was going to highlight your art but it appears you have some highlights also, lol. Lighten those a little more. The highlights I did on the females face look nice. Not even going to mess with your art tbh. It is far better then I gave it credit for. You should probably just make the shades darker and highlights lighter.

:+1::+1: Fallynns’ art

2 Likes