San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed}

If so, I hope it comes with a matching voice you can toggle to.

1 Like

My question would be if we could be DKs with the undead elf skin that way we have the red eyes, then can play the blood spec for DK, add the Venthyr powers and you have a really good San’layn going.

Well, DKs can be anything a non-DK can be so far, plus their extras as optional, so I’d assume yes.

Would be pretty great. Too bad that one San’Layn mog is cloth only though. :frowning:

I was more worried that the DK blue eyes would override the red eyes of the undead elf skin.

Oh right. Maybe. Though DKs can have Night Warrior eyes if I recall correctly, so hopefully red eyes would be the same.

1 Like

Just subbed again for the anniversary mounts so back for a month.

I was thinking they might forgo the next AR’s which are the Forsaken and Worgen and instead give us access to the four covenants as new AR’s. They would obviously have to be neutral since both sides have access to them but your character would be Horde if you become exalted with them as a Horde toon or Alliance if you were Alliance.

I know we haven’t seen much of the vampire covenant but would you guys be willing to trade San’layn models for the Venthyr? Something just kept telling me this is how we are getting playable vampires. Look at who is with the Venthyr . . . .Kael’thas Sunstrider. One of the suggestions/theories running threw this thread was that he would lead the San’layn. I feel like Venthyr are easier for Blizz to explain and they are hoping they will fill the San’layn itch.

So I’ll ask the question again. Would you guys be willing to trade San’layn models for the Venthyr?

If they got some of the cool ideas talked about in this thread I could go for it. If they turn out to be lame I am against it. I’m also against it because Alliance has doggies so giving them access to both werewolves and vampires ruins any possible rivalries imo.

i NEED san’layn in my character pool, I would grind out what ever nonsense you toss at me for them.

5 Likes

Nah, the Venthyr are ugly as sin. If we get vampires that come from the Venthyr in some way I would hope that it is San’layn for the Horde and Vampyr (the ones we see in Stormheim) for the Alliance.

Like the Venthyr end up turning Blood Elves into San’layn and then Humans into the Vampyr.

5 Likes

Not me, I hate their models personally (not a fan of Nosferatu and nightfallen) and was in this for the San’layn lore. I’m in the minority lately though, but it’s whatever. I’d at least want San’layn customization. Could be through a Night Warrior questline of sorts, who knows.

You’d think I’d be more excited about it, but I’m not really. Tired of seeing everyone abandoning the idea of the blood curse and San’layn for this new out of the blue concept. As someone who likes story and roleplays, it just is meh. None of my characters fit for the Venthyr themselves.

I feel like there could still be the best of both worlds. If people are adamantly against San’layn as an Allied race in favor of Venthyr, at least customization would be fine, and we could get flavor racials via the covenants to make up for no racials at all if they end up customization. No unique voices, jokes, or flirts (unless they add an option for that which is doubtful) but that’s something I’m sure people could live with.

I just want to be thrown even the tiniest of bones with lore, like what the San’layn from wrath have been up to, where Dreven came from, origin of blood curse, and why they’d join horde if via ‘night warrior’-like questline of sorts. :sob:

Something I WOULD roll though would be the gargoyle (version…?) of the Venthyr.

10 Likes

Nope. I’ve wanted San’Layn and/or Undead Belves in the style of Dark Rangers since Wrath. Something new won’t fill the void just because it happens to be a vampire.

6 Likes

I would, the only way they add San’Layn into the game was if they gave em different animations then blood elves for combat and stance, I know people want San’layn but if they just gave another Blood elf reskin people would be mad af. The males look different but their attack animations are still the same as BE, I honestly also prefer the more monstrous looking Venthyr over the san layn.

1 Like

and what race do you think Alliance will get to balance it out? if High Elves are not happening neither are Sanlayn. Alliance already complains about Blizzards Horde favoritsm. Imagine the sh*t show if they give Horde Sanlayn and ignore High Elves. Nope. Not good.

Yall are gonna get a worgen styled allied race.

I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t roll one, because a vampire is a vampire, they hit absolutely everything I ever wanted out of the aesthetic, and I think their models and concept art look amazing so far.

That being said, it’d also be a tad exhausting, as the lore so far seems to have adopted a stance of expanding outwards infinitely but with the depth of a puddle.

Races like the ankoan, the Highmountain, and the lightforged, for instance, could all have easily just been the jinyu, the taunka, and the broken. We would have had the benefit of getting races we’ve already worked with over the past few years officially on our respective factions, and we’d get to dive deeper into the lore of these sub-groups.

If the first playable vampire in the game is anything other than a San’layn, then it would be a huge missed opportunity. Aside from the Nathrezim, these are the guys who introduced the blood curse into the lore of WoW, and questions like “how they differ from the typical undead,” “where did they go after Wrath,” “how has their society evolved,” and “is the blood curse virulent and infectious to other races” are all potential plot threads that could have been addressed.

So that’s where I’m at. I’m really looking forward to the storyline of Revendreth, I’m excited for the customization options the covenant will give us, and hopefully we get an even deeper intimate relationship with these guys, playable or otherwise, because their models are straight baller.

But at the same time I really wish the writing team would take time to revisit concepts we’re already familiar with and give them a bit more depth. If venthyr become playable, there will probably be very little reason to ever see the san’layn again, and I already feel like this kind of stuff is happening with the Broken, the Taunka, the Jinyu, etc. And it really is a shame because it definitely doesn’t have to be this way. The lore doesn’t have to undergo a radical metamorphosis every expansion pack.

8 Likes

I agree with you, it does feel out of place to put Venthyr as a allied race of San’Layn but personal opinion of like the monstrous models more. If they wanted to make the San’Layn an allied race, they would have to increase their rendering but also on top of that change the female model and their animations. The male models look different from the blood elves but the females look like a exact copy. On top of that they share the same animations as the blood elves and another exact copy of the blood elf model is just lazy af.

1 Like

Thanks guys/gals for your responses. Hopefully Blizz will take a look at the answers and hopefully either make San’layn or Venthyr with San’layn customizations.

I actually prefer the Venthyr look to the San’layn. I’m a fan of Nosferatu and the Nightfallen which I wanted instead of Nightborne. As I first posted in this thread so many months ago that I am not an elf fan. San’layn remind me too much of NE’s which I really don’t like. I can put up with BE’s for some reason but I can’t stand NE’s, lol. BE looking San’layn would be better imo.

Unfortunately, too many players equate San’layn for Horde then Alliance better get High Elves or sh!@ will hit the fan as one player mentioned a couple posts above and I’ve seen it many times before that. When did High Elves get attached to Horde getting San’layn?

As far as lore goes it appears that Venthyr are going to get more then San’layn has from what I can tell. San’layn were only ever teased at while Venthyr are getting a whole zone and even have rep attached to them.

Of course, they could use the Venthyr lore to further expand on San’layn lore. Maybe the souls the Venthyr have can be used in mortal bodies on Azeroth thanks to the anima. That could be what the rituals are that we see happening. And maybe Kael’thas is our go between. Could even be that he lets the Venthyr know about the San’layn, if the above isn’t true, and that’s how they get into the Horde.

I’ll just have to wait and see like everyone else. San’layn or Venthyr as playable and I’ll be O.K…

1 Like

I think it came from the elf balance thing. The sides have had the same amount of elf races since TBC. Obviously this is moot anyway if San’layn end up as customization options, but players have already attached the two I guess.

I personally want both, but I’m fine with just one or the other.

1 Like

I don’t understand how you can put the sanlayn as a customization option, the males look way different then normal BE and they are vampires not just undead, they need racials to match that.

This would be a no for me.

Aside from different aesthetics, there is an entirely different culture between the two, and I’m more interesting in seeing the San’layn evolve as a race and seeing the possible storylines of said evolution as opposed to just getting a brand new, out of nowhere vampire race as some sort of “compromise.”

I’ll again state that one of the big problems here is that San’layn appeared in and were teased in an expansion where the allied race system started. To add in the Venthyr would imply that San’layn were never on the table and that for some reason adding in a general vampire race was only an “easy response” to those wanting San’layn in particular.

It’s kinda like if, for example, instead of adding Saurok as a playable race, we get some new humanoid gecko race in an expansion. Sure, they’re both lizardmen, but the geckos act and look much differently than what Saurok would act like, and having said gecko race playable instead would feel more like a “compromise” as opposed to working with something you already have and adding to said race and the game as a whole, generally speaking. It’s not a fun feeling for those wanting an existing race that Blizzard could easily just expand lore on and tweek to fit the narrative.

Throwing San’layn as a customization option would worry me as well. This either means they were not planned at all or were planned and to cut development costs, they instead throw them onto Blood Elves. Likely it would just be a “Hey we decided to give Blood Elves some San’layn customization. Enjoy!” thing that comes out of nowhere, doesn’t get represented in-game with any sort of storyline, and they still get referred to as Blood Elves with the same voice lines, racials, and such. This after there is suppose to be lore and such relating to San’layn where all of a sudden POOF! Nothing but Blood Elves cosplaying vampires and not a word spoken about San’layn, no development or storylines, and it all feels like the race was shoved aside and abandoned.

People are going to complain no matter what races get added to the game. Doesn’t matter what it is, doesn’t matter if the majority of players want it or despise the race becoming playable, people will be all “rabble rabble” at first and then get on with it. You can’t please everyone, sadly.

Anyway, as I stated before, had San’layn not been in BfA at all or the allied race system wasn’t in BfA, i’d have a different view. If nothing ever comes of it, or they just end up as some sort of customization option, it’ll feel like a really missed opportunity that’s just disappointing altogether. -grumble grumble-

2 Likes

Just so you understand, Im not against San’Layn, if they were introduced I would probably main one tbh, but giving us a blood elf reskin is ugly af, If your gonna introduce the race do it correctly and give us new animations and models not just another void elf cop out.

3 Likes