San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed} (Part 1)

Besides Blood Elves obviously lackluster additions, the main point they did for a lot of races was the new diversity options.

Blood Elves have 14 skin tones and the first 10 are arguable shades of white. 4 diversity options? Like that’s great but I definitely thought it was an ongoing thing we’d see more of in / during Shadowlands not some undefined time period of maybe some day later but not this expansion.

But again I was also under the impression that was the ongoing selling point thing this expansion, not a class or races. But I guess it was just a one and done selling point.

5 Likes

So I just thought of why San’layn should be shamans and horde… Just for BLOODLUST. Seems like a perfect support spell for San’layn shaman/battle mages. And if they had released during shadowlands they could have gone Venthyr with chain harvest and door of shadows : / Huge missed opportunity blizz.

Also the lightning magic used by the mages in the Warcraft movie were cool.

5 Likes

Ended up drawing one of my new vampire characters and figured I’d share.

He isn’t a San’layn, this is actually one of the vampires from a new book I’m writing. HOWEVER! I figured vampire art would keep hype going because whyyyy not.

His name is Ambrosius. (Ambrose for short.)

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS: I am a beginner artist so it will not be the best yet!

6 Likes

If they ever nerf Shadowmeld, I’m probably faction changing to Horde and going FULL San’layn with this gal… she even has the tattered wings!

"WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!’’’

3 Likes

How would they even nerf Shadowmeld?

“You put your hands over your face and hope no one sees you”?

4 Likes

Are they? Atal’ai jungle trolls can and have used the sand troll model since Classic.

4 Likes

Could be that. Though we don’t have an explanation of any Atal’ai joining either.

1 Like

There’s nothing saying it’s just the Atal’ai. Darkspear are Gurubashi trolls just like they are.

3 Likes

Do any Darkspear or Gurubashi NPCs have those skin tones?

It’s not a stretch to assume those tribes can, but it’s still a bit awkward with absolutely no word on it imo.

1 Like

Given the fact that you are referred to as a Darkspear troll a few times in character creation I think it’s fair to argue that the onus is not to prove that you are not a Darkspear troll, but that you aren’t.

2 Likes

That’s fair.

Other tribes could’ve theoretically joined the Darkspear, therefore “becoming Darkspear”, but as far as I know we have no hints pointing to this.

1 Like

No, so until there is any discussion of canon Darkspear skin colours I would say the baseline assumption is the simplest: that’s just a colour jungle trolls can be.

3 Likes

Forgot to say before, I do enjoy those red gems. See indeed, as mentioned on the thread, I would probably like the jewelry a lot more if there was variety but unfortunately there isn’t!

Edit: Also, to the people who constantly have this hate train on playable San’layn/those that roleplay them, think it might be time to give it a rest and sit down. Don’t play with people if you don’t like them. Getting tiresome to see THIS much bleed on other threads from certain individuals that seriously need to learn to not play with people if they hate them that much. It’s like, who did certain mannerisms to your cereal. Granted, sweet irony is that my existence bothers them this much to constantly mention it :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Argh. I see I made a typo in that quote. I meant to say “why they are now a part of the Horde.” I try to be careful with my posts, but ninja typos tend to creep up on me. x- x

Anyway, the most logical thing for that Sand Troll skin is to say that it’s just a skin variant of Jungle Trolls, which is what Darkspear Trolls are. It even mentions this in the Wowpedia page for Sand Trolls. It would put away a lot of confusion we have and likely be the simplest thing they could do.

The issue is that this wasn’t really conveyed with the reveal. Not to mention they were shown along with Wildhammer customization options. So most people assumed they were one of the Sand Troll tribes that were joining…which makes no sense since the Sand Troll tribes in the game detest the Horde and would need some writing to get around that…or a brand new tribe somewhere.

I do feel it’s important to mention this with regards to other races. Imagine if Blizzard unveiled what appears to be undead options for Blood Elves and didn’t go into detail about them. Are they Dark Rangers? Are they San’layn? Are they even undead or just LARPing Blood Elves? Would this kill chances of seeing Dark Rangers or San’layn at all, playable race, lore, or otherwise? Would they get any story presence or mentions in the game?

These are among reasons I worry about customization races. Especially when stuff gets added for the sake of it and theres no story element or explanation, even something simple as “These are Darkspear Trolls and they can be this way because Jungle Trolls have this type of skin color:” wasn’t really stated.

Anyway, I do appreciate you bringing them up to at least show that it could just be the skin color option for Jungle Trolls as opposed to Sand Trolls. I just wish it was explained better and that we wouldn’t have to worry about the way customization races could be treated.

Sub races becoming playable in any fashion deserve some love and care. San’layn, Dark Rangers, Wildhammer, and many others. :wine_glass::bat:

4 Likes

The Jewelry should have had more Shapes, Color, and Gem options. And males should have gotten it in some form.

The entire thing feels unfinished. Heck I will even say it IS unfinished.

10 Likes

Yes this exactly. I wish we got face piercings too. There’s so little … just… variety. Like, not everyone is going to play the exact same type of elf. We have warlocks, spriests, and DKs with no stylization either. No gothic/punk styles for them, and they’re in the Horde, which has a lot of gothic/punk styles depending on who you look at. Forsaken, trolls, orcs, for example. I don’t understand why that can’t be added to elves too, especially with their past in being as dark as they were, before this whole golden eyes thing changed them into being ‘prim and perfect’, which is what it seems like Blizzard is pushing.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t let the naysayers get to you. Every race that has support behind it has people that grumble about it. I still get the occasional “Noone wants stupid smelly Ogres! Terrible idea!” from time to time. I just shrug and move on.

I usually try to think of the positives of our work. I’ve seen several people happy to see the march of support for races I personally support and others who like the idea as well, which helps to keep me going. For San’layn, I’d say they’re popular despite people grumbling about another elf race and such. As I mentioned, people even chanted for them during a Blizzard Twitch stream. I’d say a good amount of people would like them playable.

Besides, it must mean we’re doing something right when someone from the EU forums who doesn’t speak English at all makes a US account somehow to yell at the megathread in broken English. :stuck_out_tongue:

No race is guaranteed playable, but I still find it worth still continuing with support. People will grumble and disagree, but there are some who would love to make these races and have their dreams come true into making the character they want.

And they’re the ones that make it worth doing the work we put in our megathreads. With luck, Blizzard will see our work and consider it also. :wine_glass::bat:

7 Likes

True! It does boggle my mind just how some people are so utterly obsessed to bash it and people who enjoy San’layn at every moment they get a chance. It’s like… maybe you should focus on something else and let people enjoy things. Especially since it’s harmless. Sigh.

Very true. A great number do appreciate the work we put into these. We might not always be a ‘beacon of positivity’, and we have our moments, myself included, when we lose our temper. But at least we are trying to give thoughtful ideas based on our passions, unlike those who bash nonstop and make it their obsession. Yes, we will express ideas we dislike and all, but at least we try to keep creating as well.

I’m glad for the community here, the art, and all of the ideas we share. As frustrated as I am lately, this place is a great spot for idea sharing and thoughtful topics. Much of what’s brought up here is stuff I didn’t even think of. People have some amazing ideas and I love hearing them, especially about my favorite concept in the game. Also, in other megathreads too, and the ideas shared there.

9 Likes

Yeah, there’s a lot of weird stuff going on. It’d have been neat to have seen what Mograine thought when he first awoke/arrived in Maldraxxus.
Like I mentioned a bit later on, having the kyrian all be created beings/constructs would have made a lot more sense. If you need someone impartial, why not make them that way. Guess they needed a reason for people to go to Bastion.
Plus another angle is these aren’t your typical afterlives. They’re the 4 pillars of keeping everything working and running. I’d imagine very few actually end up there compared to the untold number of other realms.

Yeah, I’d caught them…think on WoW head and to only listened to a couple and just thought there was very little difference. Might be other more important lines where there is. From what I read in some other threads, sounds like they should just leave the old lines in place.

Been a lot of those lately.

It’s weird how consistency is lacking all over the place. Feels kinda sloppy.

I’m still kinda of bummed/amazed that there aren’t any new druid forms for each covenant. Here’s some armor you’ll never see…enjoy!

They’d be cool playables.
If they went with some general vampire race and you just chose your racial model, blood trolls would be a cool troll option.

3 Likes

I’ve finished the Shadows Rising novel, and while there wasn’t really anything San’layn related, it does seem like Sylvanas doesn’t really have much in the way of minions.

The Dark Rangers that stayed with her got killed in a battle in Nazjatar with the Horde. I don’t think there were any survivors other than Nathanos teleporting away, unless I’m mistaken. It makes it seem like Sylvanas doesn’t really have any others within her ranks. I suppose there were some banshees from the loyalist cinematic finale, though those make no appearance or mentions that I saw.

Not too surprising that those that stayed loyal to her pretty much get the short end of the stick, which is a reason I feel a bit relieved to not see any San’layn in her ranks, so any that are around would still be independent at the moment. Not to mention we do have Dark Rangers that sided with the Horde too.

Still not sure what to really expect. It could be that Sylvanas would just utilize the Jailer’s minions as opposed to having her usual entourage, at least for the upcoming raid she is a part of. Rumors are that she hightails it out of the raid after you win it, so who knows where she’d go afterwards?

Assuming she has any followers at all at this point, I still don’t see San’layn within her ranks, even with the Jailer having Lana’thel’s soul. I don’t know if anything will come to that either or if it was just an easter egg. As I’ve said before, even if there are some, it doesn’t mean ALL San’layn would be there.

Will continue to keep an eye out for anything else of interest, as well as continue to keep hope for Horde friendly San’layn! :wine_glass::bat:

6 Likes