Ryzen 7000 is here! Intel Raptor Lake too!

Cons so far.

• Expensive platform
  • Long boot time
  • Very hot.

Intel Raptor Lake launched as well.
https://www.techpowerup.com/299288/intel-13th-gen-core-raptor-lake-desktop-processors-launched-15-st-41-mt-uplift
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-launches-raptor-lake-at-amd-24-core-i9-13900k-arrives-oct-20-for-dollar589

Hope we get reviews soon.

Yea looks like I’ll be picking up a 5800X3D to replace my 5700x.

time to sell a kidney…

And it performs in almost every gaming scenario nearly identical if not beat out by the 5800x3D. In some games the 5800x3D beat It by a good bit

Yeah as a gamer it’s not worth the upgrade cost at the moment. I will wait for the 7900x3D. I won’t even consider Raptor Lake because LGA1700 is it dead platform which makes it a bad Buy in my opinion.

To be frank the biggest upgrade Gamers can do at the moment is not going to be a CPU upgrade it’s going to be a GPU upgrade considering most people game at 1440p or better. 4000 series or the upcoming AMD graphics cards will be the biggest upgrade a gamer can do at the moment. Unfortunately they will probably need to upgrade their power supply also

1 Like

I’m sticking to my 12900K and 3080 Ti for at least 4 years. I don’t see any point on upgrading as well.

1 Like

Once we see some real gaming data on the 4000 series not just benchmarks? You know some real world use I’ll decide if I’m going to upgrade my graphics card or not. Im on a 5950x and I see no reason to upgrade my cpu currently.

If 4000 series do indeed deliver double the performance they are talking about? Well upgrading to that will be a no-brainer. It will be the only upgrade I do currently until ddr5 is optimized and actually starts to matter in games which like you said will be a couple years

Quite a performance increase in the new generation.

The 7700x is 4.5 GHZ. My 5800X is 3.8GHZ.

Intel Raptor Lake launched.
https://www.techpowerup.com/299288/intel-13th-gen-core-raptor-lake-desktop-processors-launched-15-st-41-mt-uplift
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-launches-raptor-lake-at-amd-24-core-i9-13900k-arrives-oct-20-for-dollar589

Available on October 20.

I hope you can actually buy these CPUs because the scalping market was extreme.

I could get it if I want to. I got friend that can reserve for me.

1 Like

Dont look at the numbers or benchmarks. Look up the real world frame rate differances at anything 1440p or above where the person has NOT intentionally crated a CPU bottleneck.

Real world use in most test the 5800x3d still beat the 7900x. The 7900x is marginally better in games than the 5900x and 5950x. You would need to be on a 3090 ti with 3800mhz CL16 Ram to notice a difference at all

Just being real. Have tested a 7900x myself. The worst part of it was the initial 3min boot time. Still takes about 30sec to boot after that initial start up. This was on a ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO motherboard with a RYZEN 9 7900x. Did a build for a family member. Was fully testing things prior. I will say RAM atm is more finicky than it EVER was on earlier versions of Ryzen.

This is a smart move. Sticking with my Ryzen 9 5950x and my 3080 FTW3 too. DDR5 has a few years to go before I would call it “mature”. With that said it seems to play MUCH nicer with intel atm. However intel has issues when it first launched the 12th Gen too with Ram. Im sure future BIOS updates with Ryzen will fix these issues.

Saclpers were in the CPU market with bots due to Graphics Card mining. They didnt limit their self to just GPUs they literally used their shoe bots and scalped anything that they felt would turn a profit. The CPU market proved to be a bust. The markup proved to be too slim for them. Very little money to be made on Scalping CPUs vs GPUs. They have moved onto other things now. We may however see somewhat of a return when 4000 series launches

Here we are a full day later and you can still buy the 7900x on both best buy, Amazon and AMD’s website.

IMPORTANT Note to walk away with from this conversation…
Just Remember when you buy into a brand new CPU architecture right away? You are basically paying to be a Beta tester

1 Like

Still for WoW good strong but cheap option is/will be i5-12400F/13400F while AM4 owners can upgrade to 5800X3D. There were some rumors of 5800X3D dropping price a bit soon so we shall see.

1 Like

Great Advice!

Based on the gaming results I have personally tested with 7000 series and 12th Gen Intel vs the Cost to Upgrade (New Motherboard, DDR5 Memory)? This is 100% the best move someone on AM4 can make atm. Personally Id skip 7000 series if you are a PURE gamer. 5800X3D still out performs 7000 series in most games. If you are wanting to make the move to DDR5? Wait for the 7700X3D which we already know is coming at some point. I have said it before and will say it again. DDR5 imo is just not mature yet and is very finicky. Too Finicky for the common consumer atm to jump to it yet.

Its funny but AMDs problem is not Intel its AMD. Their very own 3D cache Chip is the competitor for 7000 series for gaming rigs.

IMO Best new rig a gamer do atm bang for their buck wise is 5800X3D + 3800mhz CL16 Ram and get the Nvidia 4000 series with a new power supply when it launches and call it a day. If on the other hand you want a new rig with an upgrade path? Wait for the 7700X3D and do your build then. 3D V-Cache technology has gaming on Lock atm. AMD knows this which is probably why they will announce the 7700X3D shortly after Raptor Lake drops

If you get one, do this:

Raptor Lake reviews are out! Its very hot!

Techpowerup - Core i5-13600K:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-13600k/

Techpowerup - Core i9-13900K:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-13900k/

They’re all ungodly priced at the moment. Factor in early adopter issues and I highly recommend waiting it out until prices drop from the current insanity levels.

There is tremendous value in the 5000 series CPU, and 6900 GPUs. A 5800 CPU and 6900 GPU will cost you more than half of what it’ll take to put together an AM5 or lga 1700. Why pay double for what would amount to 15% performance bump?

12400F if you want a nicely priced new system, if you already have AM4 then some of the 5000 series with 5800X3D as the top-of-the-line yet cheaper than all those shiny ones up.

The biggest mistake anyone can make is being benchmark obsessed. Will new CPUs and GPUs be faster than previous generation hardware? Sure. The thing is, the previous generation was already fast. So faster than fast is just gilding the lilly at this point.

IMO, the smart thing to do right now is get the best monitor you can afford and then get a GPU that can drive the games you play at that resolution. For most people a great 1440p monitor is ideal for their desk. And there are a plethora of GPUs that will drive that resolution with good framerate. Anything in the 3070 or 6800xt range will be more than adequate for the vast majority of people.

CPUs tend to be overrated when it comes to gaming. Any mid-level CPU from the last 3 years will do fine.

I’m not even talking benchmarks. Early adopters on new gen hardware usually pay a premium. 6900 xt’s are going for under $650, really good 5000 series CPU’s, MB’s and Ram are selling for half of what they were a year ago. DDR5 kits are ridiculously priced, and you need at least a 1000 watt PSU with weird new power rails. And lastly, should you opt for a 4090, you will most likely need a huge (probably new) case. Overheating seems to be a common theme on the high end stuff to, so that’s a problem I personally don’t want to guinea pig.

It’ll cost you probably $3000+ to build an next gen am5 or LGA 1700 system. Again, not all about the bench marks, but for around $1500 you can build a last gen system and not lose much at all in performance.

The new gen just isn’t worth it right now. Maybe in 2024 when they’ve worked out the bugs and prices drop. I highly recommend waiting it out.

Agreed. Sitting on an 8700k for another gen

1 Like