RX 6700 XT, viable upgrade from RX 580?

I also got a motherboard with PCI 4.0 support as well.

That should be quite the upgrade.

I’m finding it a bit les of an upgrade than I hoped, but It may be a CPU problem since it’s running at 95 degrees Celsius. I might have had an accident with the thermal paste when I was putting the cooler on.

But at least the RPG bling is cool.

Out of curiosity, what CPU/board are you using?

Depending on the CPU, that could very much be an issue. WoW as a game can get highly single thread CPU limited, and really likes cache.

Aorous Pro Wifi X570 B450 variant I believe. AMD Ryzen 5 3600 I think. Standard Wraith cooler no oveclocking. 64 gigs of RAM.

Yeah, the 3600 would probably be the limiting factor in wow.

Staying on AM4, you’d notice an uplift with a 5600x3d or a 5800x3d.

I’m not seeing more than a 40 percent CPU load I think the CPU may be throttling because of overheating.

possible, but windows reports cpu percentage as all core/all thread. So it’s possible you’re maxed out on 1 thread, which (if nothing else was happening) would show as about 8% usage in windows (3600 is a 12 thread setup).

I’m going to have to run task manager and check it out.

Your gpu is more than enough for wow at 1080 to 1440p. Your cpu is whats costing you fps. You’re on a good platform for a drop in upgrade at least with the 3d cpus. Games just old so gpu doesn’t do much.

What CPU do you recommend for an AM4 socket? Are you sure it’s a CPU matter since task manager doesn’t see it as being choked?

I should probaby cut down my display resolution since I’m using the Samsung 4k M8 monitor.

MY CPU was running at 98 degrees celsius so I recapped the thermal paste that got it down to 87degrees.

This thread is kinda old from the original post, but that’s pretty spicy for a CPU, especially AMD. 6700 XT would be a huge upgrade, and it’s aimed at being a 1440p card.

I’d recommend upgrading to a 5600X (65W TDP) or 5700X, or a 5800X3D if you want to push your AM4 build to the limit. Though, it might be better to just run it with a cheaper setup and rebuild to AM5 or beyond if you’re not trying to spend much right now.

I’m running a 7800X3D and 6700 XT, and the GPU will push up to 77-80 ºC, but the CPU will stay around 53-56 under load while gaming. I use a h100i Capellix AIO cooler, though.

I’ll weigh my options if I were to go with the 3D I’d definitely would need to upgrade to an AIO cooler.

I’ve had a RX 580 for years and liked it, and went to a RTX 3060 for a short time, and finally a 6600 XT. The RX 580 compared to a 6600 XT is a huge performance jump, and I was even on PCI-E 3.0.

However, the one situation I wouldn’t recommend that upgrade is if you’re doing VR with any headset that does an encode/decode process (notably Meta Quest headsets); AMD’s encoder tech, driver mess since May 2022 with 22.5.2+, lack-of cooperation from Meta for supporting AMD’s encoding specifications, and even Meta’s lack-of caring about PCVR (Quest 3 doesn’t even support 120Hz over Link yet; Quest 2 does it fine) was all that I ran into when I had a 6600 XT, and I sold it for being more hassle than it was worth. In this specific situation, I would recommend anything NVIDIA. The encoding quality from a RX 580 to 6600 XT was not impressive at all and was notably worse than my RTX 3060, and the encoder situation was so bad with the 6600 XT and Quest 2 that I had notably clearer image quality and lower-latency back when I was still on the RX 580 with an ancient Rift CV1.

Anything video encoding will be better on NVIDIA even today with RDNA3 vs Ampere and Lovelace. 3D is fair-game and that would be fine on a 6700 XT and a good upgrade from a RX 580.

With my 6600 XT, I was playing WoW at max 1080p, and a mix of med/max settings at 4K. I had a 2700X.

Ugrading to AM5 would mean having to ditch my motherboard and RAM so I’m not that big on it.

What is your budget?

Reason I ask is if you have a Micro Center near you (or willing to order online) they have a great bundle right now - 7800x3d, mobo and 32 GB DDR5 ram for $499:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006637/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d,-gigabyte-b650-gaming-x-ax,-gskill-flare-x5-series-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-bundle

The reason I mention this is I was thinking about doing this with taxes. I originally thought about doing the 5800x3d which they have for $289.00 right now since I already have a am 4 mobo - but I need ram - mine is mismatched slow ram - prob only be about $120 more to go with the am5 and ddr5 over just swapping the cpu for me

If the price stays low, I might just pick up the 5800x3d and maybe something better than my 6600 since I went 4k since I built my system

That’s interesting… I’d have to add an AIO water cooling system to my budgeet but at least it has three nvme slots. I’d probably also have o figure on a windows license as well.

1 Like

I have been using windows “trial” or whatever the actual term is for over a year. If you dont need all the customize features and can handle the watermark, windows is free :slight_smile:

As it turns out I have three Micro Centers reasonably close to me.

1 Like

So saying I did all of this, how much of a performance gain could I expect?