RuneScape relaunched a classic version multiple times, and never thought it needed a boost

The reason Im bringing this up because, yet another TBC Boosting thread.

RuneScape has launched RuneScape classic, RuneScape 2 (Oldschool), and Their current generation.

With the CM response of:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/character-boosts-are-not-in-keeping-with-classic-we-dont-want-to-break-any-hearts/883607/10

RuneScape’s content begins almost at level 70 in EACH skill +.

With the THREE revisions of it taking to level 99 in each skill (with the exclusion of 120 in some others), Not ONCE did they ever add a level XX boost to the game. Did they lower the exp required? Sure. But NEVER added a boost (and they LOVE to add micro transactions to the game).

TBC does NOT start at 58. The Dark portal might, but there is MUCH much more to classic.

1. Classic is ABOUT the community. You MAKE friends by leveling and gearing up your characters. I haven’t played classic since about 3 months after launch, and after giving it a try and making a new character, I’ve already made friends that I like to talk to and see in-game and try to level up with them. SOMETHING THAT ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS IN RETAIL.

2. Adding a boost removes this interaction of MAKING friends, and removes a sense of pride for working for your character’s level and gear. This isn’t retail again, where gear is just handed to you left and right with minimal effort put in. Classic does require some thought put. Not to mention we can already see how boost work on Retail. A new player boosts, either doesn’t know what they are doing, doesn’t know what they want to do, either WASTE the boost, or continue with it not knowing a thing about the game or their class and ruin the game for others for not having the experiences they WOULD of had if they just started from level 1.

3. You guys stated multiple times that some of your actions that you did in the past removed the community aspect of the game because of convenience, and that CLASSIC was an EYE OPENER to see how community is important. Well this boost is a step in the opposite direction.

4. You state that this is for players to be able to “jump right in and play with their friends”. This is a cop-out. Realistically, anyone interested playing with their friends in classic wow, has ALREADY done so, ALREADY leveled, and more than likely has ALREADY quit. It’d be delusional to think that a group of friends interested in the same game do NOT play together. Even if that was the case, see my issue stated on #1 how that breaks the aspect of beginning to make NEW friends while playing.

5. People are going to say that “people are already boosting anyway with gold”. That’s going to happen REGARDLESS of what you do. It doesn’t make it right that Blizzard is making it part of the game. Boosting is not something intended, and has been nerfed over the years when these expansions initially launched. However, a lot of this stuff is being done against terms of service, and at which rate you shouldn’t be becoming PART of the problem, but part of the solution to stop this from happening in the first place. it’s definitely possible to nerf dungeon exp gained with an out-leveled player in the party clearing things.

Boosts are not something an mmorpg should have. It’s obvious you see the grind to 60/70 as a problem to even consider a boost, and again as we usually ask, you should be doing something to make the game more FUN to level, or add more spice to the game that doesn’t require being a max level for EVERYONE to enjoy, but you DON’T DO THAT EITHER FOR BOTH GAMES!

17 Likes

Here let me compare an apple to a carrot!

22 Likes

It’s my perception that those who are not interested in the journey will race to level cap and/or get boosted. I hear retail has lost 40% of its subscriptions already. Those folks certainly aren’t interested in the journey, but I can see where boosts to 58 may be an attempt to regain some of those subs at least for a time. If the game doesn’t make money, it will be retired and I’d rather see it around for a few more years. I don’t care if others get a boost either in game or via Blizz because, for me, it’s about the journey and folks that get boosted don’t interfere with that. I do not insist that the way I play the game is the only way it should be played.

1 Like

Just because their subscription numbers dip, doesn’t mean you ruin the integrity of the game that has the possibility to bring them back with day one launch.

The thing is though is that they do. I’ve come into people on retail all the time who just freshly boosted and have no idea what’s going on or what they are doing, where to go. It’s not healthy. The time spent leveling and learning teaches you things.

Boosting in itself is BAD for a new player because it will overwhelm them with a high leveled character without any of the knowledge of the game itself. This not only ruins their experience with an over-flow of information they need to catch up on, but it also derails them from any sort of lore, attachments, or care to what each place has to offer or give, and in turn can effect veteran players who end up either partying with them or inviting them into a guild, because the information they WOULD have learned was lost because of the boost.

1 Like

I have multiple friends and relatives that only made it to around level 30 in Classic but are interested in playing TBC with me. I have other friends that didn’t bother with Classic but originally started WoW back in 2007. They might be interested in playing if they don’t have to slog through 58 levels of content they’re probably not interested in.

I leveled to 60 on Skeram as an Alliance player. I have never purchased a boost and will not this time around either. I don’t care if people can boost to 58 and the attempted gatekeeping of TBC content on this forum is bizarre.

8 Likes

What is stopping them right now then from logging in and playing the actual game to get to level 60 so they can play with you at launch of TBC?

Nothing.

I don’t see how people think it’s acceptable to put zero work or effort into a game you want to play and still get “somewhere” in it. If you want to play the game and do stuff with friends, you should ACTIVELY be playing it. Not waiting for the company to give it to you.

There is nothing wrong with gatekeeping. Especially for integrity of classic servers. The problem isn’t the people who would be using these boosts. The problem is that they are being given in the first place.

If you don’t have the time or effort to be putting into a game, the game shouldn’t change for you, you either need to work it into your schedule some how, or find another game that works better for you.

6 Likes

I want to play the game but only if I don’t have to play the game…

4 Likes

The fact that Vanilla is boring as sin and if people don’t want to slog through it they won’t have to

The boost is not for you. It’s for people who want TBC and only TBC. They’re happening. Get. Over it.

7 Likes

Yeah let’s change the fundamentals of a video game just because little billy didn’t want to actually play the game.

Let’s add raid finder, group finder, and cross-realm play while we are at it.

VERY constructive feedback. “Get over it”.

6 Likes

the reasons for the boost have been argued to death over and over, and you people continue to say “no that doesn’t count shut up” while repeating the same nonsense about “it ruins the spirit!!1” and “muh achievement!”

so don’t act all offended and surprised now that people are done trying to be civil with their arguments

8 Likes

Looking at your forum activity, your reasoning has never been “civil”.

Clearly if people are up in arms about it, it’s something that should be addressed or looked into or discussed more. Not thrown to the side and say “yeah too bad; so sad; deal with it”.

4 Likes

This isn’t RuneScape.

3 Likes

Nobody said it was.

1 Like

imagine spying on people for the sake of an argument, and clearly you didn’t even look back that far

the same handful of people creating multiple topics =/= people being up in arms about it. the loudest hugbox isn’t always the most populated

5 Likes

Then what RuneScape did, or didn’t do, isn’t relevant.

The Classic Devs have spoken on the matter of boosts and why we’re getting them, so that is that.

Classic is being marketed as an opportunity to hit your preferred era of nostalgia, which means jumping straight in. Everything else you’re arguing about is irrelevant, and it is also not barred from those that wish to grind up, explore, see the world, etc. A lot of people won’t pay for boosts, they’ll just level like normal.

You act like we’re all jump starting by force. Don’t be silly.

11 Likes

I don’t think you know what spying means. I literally just checked your profile once and saw your “civil” comments and then left. I wouldn’t constitute that as “spying”.

1 Like

The same as always, a vocal minority are up in arms.

3 Likes

You are not forced to boost, so you won’t. That should not affect another person being able to. You are not in charge of everyone else.

6 Likes

You can compare MMORPGs for similarities. Not every MMORPG is totally unique to not have same design mechanics or leveling up experiences.

Just because a dev states it, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. This is why forums exist for them to get feedback on decisions to either tweak, change, remove or add to the situation that they are trying to achieve.

If you think otherwise, I suggest you look at the amount of backlash and feedback from shadowlands launch, and the changes addressed there. Same thing here.

Also let’s be realistic. If someone offers you $100.00, or you can choose to work for it, you aren’t going to FORCE yourself NOT to take the $100.00 offered to you just because you have the option to work for it or just to take it. That’s just silly. The argument of “You don’t have to use it if you don’t want to” is ridiculous because of course anyone who has the option to take it, will.

That’s the problem.

not even close to a proper comparison. a more accurate one would be “you can work for a few days and get this game for free, or you can spend the money to buy it now”

3 Likes