Rune of power needs to go

It’s massively unpopular. It ties mages to a turret play style. And it outperforms its mobile competitor drastically.

It’s antifun. We do not want it. Please redesign the skill entirely or get rid of it and buff mage’s baseline.

57 Likes

I still can’t explain why it was added back in mop and why people took so long to finally figure in number how it is bad.

Maybe because it start to annoy pro-players too, now ?

Can’t explain myself why it made its way in release back in mop and how could it last so long. THIS IS THE WORST burst principle ever made.

JUST. FLAT. DAMAGE.

0 gameplay interaction
0 satisfying VFX
0 power feeling
0/20 in quality of life
0 damage out of burst because of it.
0 alternative choice

Even BL, which is still a very simple buff, feel a lot more satisfying, because it’s haste and make your rotation go crazy fast…

Blizzard just forgot that the first purpose of a skill and a class design was to be fun, before to be a constraint.

15 Likes

Can we talk about how rune of power does more damage boosting than every mage spec’s major cooldown? Because that’s insane. That’s how mandatory it is.

16 Likes

Because in MoP, when Rune of Power was first created, it was on a talent row that was exclusively terrible mechanics and it was the least annoying of the three.

Seriously, Invocation and Incanter’s Ward were terrible. One was effectively Rune of Power on a 5 second channel and one forced you to actively try and stand in fire just to activate it.

And then in WoD, Rune of Power’s competition was Prismatic Crystal, an ability so despised and unbalanced that it broke an entire raid tier. It wasn’t until Legion that Rune of Power got trimmed down into its current form where it was pitted against Incanter’s Flow and Mirror Image and won in almost every scenario.

Yes. Rune of Power is actually so bad that it’s existence bred some of the worst mage abilities that have ever been seen just because they had to invent talents that could compete with it. It is a cockroach that keeps flying low enough under the radar that it keeps surviving until the next expansion.

16 Likes

Your right, i didn’t exactly calculated how much it was… But yeah that’s an INSANE part of our damage

RUNE OF POWER is why we deal under the tanks constant damages and is also why we do ridiculously low damage for solo content. and to get what in return ? one of the most unfun, constraining and punitive CD ever made in wow.

I’m so angry and disappointed and everything

I wasn’t, but i’m now absolutely sure that none of the class designers plays a mage seriously anymore. Can’t be.

The whole class could litterally be renamed Rune of Power at this point

9 Likes

Rune if power is great strategically. You need to know the dungeon or raid once you do its great to line up cds for great damage. I love it.

2 Likes

Are you playing a mage ?

Did you read the post ?

Are you aware that a character is not starting to exist at the start of a dugeon or raid but is also existing for the rest of the content including outdoor place where ennemies are spread out everywhere ?

Are you enjoying loosing 50% dps when you fail a timer or RNG screw you, where every single other class can catch up and deal descent damage anyway ?

This is ALWAYS the same single argument when it comes to defend RoP. You RoP lovers are either robots or perhaps RoP has only a single quality. This is not a satisfying argument. RoP is not a satisfying or interactive payoff. It is mathematically too strong, and i don’t want to be forced to play it just because 0.5% of players actually love it. WHICH is actually the case because its over-performing.

Tell me if i’m wrong, but your mage is probably an alt. That’s signifiant.
It means that you log your mage, do dungeon, and go on.

My mage is my main, meaning I do all content with it. Exploring, Bashing, Farming, Solo play is a pain because of the ultra low constant damage and constant need to setup.

Oh god : this statement should be framed. This is absolutely 100% real

7 Likes

Now that i put arguments on what i don’t want, i wanted to make a little statement on what i want.

I told in another post that i want something very different. The objective is not to replace a 40% damage buff with something similar. the damage should be rebalanced in the core mage abilities.

The talents that should replace RoP and IF should be really differently frame-minded. It should not be something that gives you insane damage buff. I want something fresh, an agressive or defensive spell, or an interactive passive or something like that.

I’m not a game designer. So i don’t want to pretend i’m able to imagine something where everyone could find fun.

But what i have in mind as “really different” is like something like

• For an AoE idea “Every 3 (or $) hot streak/clear mind/finger of frost, your next fire blast/arcane barrage/ice lance is replaced by “Detonation”, an arcane targeted spell that deals $ damage to all ennemis within $ft of your target”. Detonation is not triggering gloabal cooldown.
  • For a defensive/group utility idea “Conjure a time zone around you for 5 sec. ennemies and ennemie’s projectiles that enter it are slowed by $%. Any damage dealt to your allies standing in the zone are instead dealt over 5 sec while the effect is active”.
  • Another AoE idea : “Disintegration : you channel a ray of pure arcane magic up to 30 yd in front of you. Dealing $ per second to every ennemies it hits”. (Could totally be one of those new hit and hold spells)
  • Defensive/CC spell : “Conjure a black hole at targeted position for 3 sec. within $yd, all targets are strongly attracted to the center and suffer $(low) damage (could be an alternative for when you have not any DK)”

Those ideas are probably not good. I was of course inspired by Diablo. But i don’t necesarly want any of those integrated. i just wanted to show what i would like to tell by “REALLY different thing”.

I mean EVERYTHING but a HUGE FLAT DAMAGE% buff would makes me happy. It doens’t have to be powerful, doesn’t have to be game breaking. Just something situationnal, a little interactive passive, a cool VFX spell would be cool.

1 Like

Its the single reason I quit playing Mage

14 Likes

I hate when a mechanic forces me out of rune and my damage goes into the garbage.

But I’m so used to it at this point, I can hardly imagine being without it lol.

it’s so much better.

It’s like rediscovering that you can actually move
It’s like the sensation to discover the world when you always lived in a bird’s cage before.

Seriously. Last time i tried IF as “no care about my damage”, my brain was like “hey, i can actually move during GCD now !”
and i was like “Where is my rune ? Oh god, i forgot, i’m free now”

It’s not a joke, this is abolutely how Rune is taking our brain in hostage as a player.

2 Likes

I am.

Yes. Doesn’t mean I agree with it.

Which means you can talent into IF

Any class that messes up their damage burst windows loses damage.

No one is forcing you into using it.

I like it because I like having the planning to set up my burst damage and burst damage profiles thrive in this game.

Post on your real mage not a level 10.

Sounds like you’re not playing mage correctly.

3 Likes

I think blizzard has listened to this after like 4 years’ish of us complaining and its been removed for Dragon Flight?

ROP is in the general tree

1 Like

And suffer like UNREASONALE loss of dmg. You blind jerk, it’s a non-choice.

I want to be more useful than just intellect and bread. So, no.

Never THAT much. loosing a rune is like being dead for 1 min.

The other classes never totally fail their burst because they always can profit of it, even if not optimal. The loss is mitigated.

Can’t because i am on Europe servers, you know, the place where devs never read anything, and CM are collecting feedbacks in batch, sort them, before throwing it in the trash and burn the trash.

Search Guema on Ysondre-EU. show my history /kiss
Your character is an Alt. That means you do not undergo the rune more than necessary.

The fact that you endure it with smile doesn’t make RoP a good idea.

You say that like you have the choice. You are acting like an alt.

Mage is burst oriented. It’s why IF is so useless and RoP is over-performing by very far.
There is no “alternative constant damage gameplay”. You must be an alt to ignore that. If you don’t believe me, try a constant damage build of your “choice” and enjoy being under the tank at overall.

You clearly also don’t understand what is a choice

Do you want to be strong, intelligent and beatiful or shoot yourself in the foot and limp for the rest of your life ?

This, is, actually, a non-choice.

I’m sorry? I thought I had a choice, and that no one was forcing me to play the “right way”

4 Likes

If you’re out in the world it’s not that big of a loss.

See above. You clearly state that outside of instance content you’re still playing rop.

False.

You clearly haven’t played affliction

You can still link your mage. Though at 280 ilvl you’re more of an alt than I am.

This isn’t an alt.

There’s always a choice. Again not an alt. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t make them an alt.

It’s still a choice.

1 Like

Lol you’re a heroic green and blue parsing mage.

280 ilvl and calling me an alt.

I’m weak.

2 Likes

An important distinction that’s worth mentioning to the crowd here:

Arcane doesn’t feel the pain of RoP as much as the other two specs do (as far as I can tell). Arcane is already very much non-mobile and reliant on stacking buffs, so RoP fits in very nicely with that rotation.

As an arcane mage, I don’t notice the problems with RoP as much. For me, it’s exactly as Snozy said: Once you know the encounter, you can use RoP very effectively. But I already have to plant my feet to cast during the most important part of my burst anyway, so I honestly forget that RoP is even there a lot of the time.

That being said, I’d still like to see RoP removed because I don’t find it to be interesting gameplay. All three mage specs are balanced around this talent. Two of the playstyles are hindered by its existence and the third barely notices that it’s there.

1 Like

Had my time, not doing myth anymore. Because i now play with irl friends.

I wouldn’t brag if I were you, you are just an average mage. It does not really matter if you play better than me or not. You are not a pro or anything. Just an average raider. But do as you want sir.

I wanted to show that i’m an active player and i’m playing mage as main from long ago, with mythic phases, push m+ phases also. Comparing my current state have no sense, i’m playing currently only in raids. Done all the raids in back in time at each expac each time. That’s all.

Anyway even if you were a pro player, it doesn’t make you right, you didn’t make a single argument. You just took me calling you alt as an insult, and misunderstood my point. You are even going on warcraftlogs lol. Are you serious ? How old are you ? 16 ? Have you an urge to compare your dps everytime like that in every situation ?

Do you think it will make your opinion more valid ?

You are the one who put like an ego fight, because idk. I’m not playing your little game.

Just go talk anyone else.

1 Like

People get tired of carrying you?

I’m not bragging. I swapped back to
Mage last week and am regearing. Then on top of that totm was bugged in CN until Thursday of last week.

The only expansion that matters is shadowlands and even then you’re parses weren’t all that impressive. Definitely not good enough for you to catch the attitude you have and talk down to people.

I checked logs because you’re talking to people like you think you’re good and you’re not.

I use logs to check peoples credibility. When people are parsing green and blue in heroic they don’t have much credibility especially with how you’re talking down to anyone that disagrees with you.

I have been playing mage on and off since BC.

Says the guy that claims he has to take rop even in world content