Rumours and Afflictions [RP]

Ash didn’t like Orgrimmar. Never had. But there’d been another rumour about a half breed child. A goblin in Booty Bay mentioned a friend of a friend said something about a blond halforcen working in the kitchen at Brawl’gar Arena. The supposed prodigy of an orc and a human got Ash’s attention.

It had been a while since she’d been in Horde territory. Fortunately, she still remembered the illusion the Old Man taught her. But it had been even longer since she’d used it. A trial run seemed prudent.

The Crossroads would do for a test. She’d been there once and knew the layout. Hopefully, that would keep her from dumb mistakes a member of the Horde would inherently know to not do.

She learned the boat to Kalimdor wouldn’t leave until morning. So at dusk, she left Booty Bay and made camp behind a thick copse in the southern wilds of Stranglethorn. It was best to stay out of sight and get used to the illusion by herself until it was time to set sail. Just the thought of putting it on again made her skin dance. As a distraction, she busied herself finding game and herbs for soup. After she ate, Ash leaned against a tree, let her stomach settle and waited until full dark.

The Blood Elf shimmer slipped on like an old robe left out on the clothesline too long—itchy and bit stiff. She had never really felt like herself while wearing it. The urge to scratch at her skin made her fingers ache. Coughing, she clasped her hands to her chest and laid face down, her chin pressed into the folds her blanket. She chanted a one word mantra—Kaalis—over and over into the wool.

It took several hours to reorient herself to the illusion she once wore for the better part of a year. Feeling dazed, exhausted, and dissociated from her sense of self, she attempted to rest. But her dreams were disjointed, scattered, and each fracture had a blond Orc screaming in rage and confusion.

4 Likes

((Well. Effs that I can’t reply to my own post. I guess I’ll have to do this a different way.))

The door slammed, causing the front window to shake inside the already loose frame. Nabbi halted, her shoulders hunched and her face squished into a grimace as she waited for a shout from the kitchen. None came.

“Phew.” She grinned. “Gerty must not be home.”

The gnome skipped into the kitchen and began opening doors at random. Finding nothing of interest, she scooted around the lopsided pantry door. “We gotta get that fixed.”

She would have rummaged, but there wasn’t much to rummage through. “How am I supposed to snack if there isn’t anything to snack on?” She grabbed a nearly empty box of crackers and headed to her room. She wasn’t supposed to eat there because they’d had some trouble with critters a while back. But what Gertha didn’t know wouldn’t hurt Nabbi.

On her way upstairs, she heard a clink of metal and turned in time to see a couple of envelopes flutter from the mail slot to the floor in front of the front door.

She set down the box on the first stair and went to pick up the mail. “Water bill, hearthstone bill, rent, everybody wants money.” Sighing, she set the landlord’s envelope on the sideboard but kept the others. No need to worry Gerty about all of them. I’ll pay these .

As she leaned over to grab the box of crackers, a triangular section of manila sticking out from under the sideboard caught her eye. “Great. I bet Vainaa forgot to pay the storage unit fee.”

Nabbi picked up the crumpled envelope. It looked like it had gotten stuck in the middle of a Tauren hoof fight. She could barely make out the postmark it was so mangled. But the handwriting—

“Oh my titan-forged goggles!”

3 Likes

The boat to Ratchet wasn’t crowded and for that, Ash was grateful. As usual, she stood at the prow, her gaze focused on the swell and plunge of the sea. The dark violence of the deep churning into white spray. This untamed element, savage and wild—it settled her like an eagle’s eyrie was its refuge. Always had done. Her favourite places on Azeroth were harbors where she could watch boats come and go.

It was one of the reasons she disliked Orgrimmar. Its connection to the sea was inconsequential at best. Situated outside its borders as if it were an afterthought. Plus, the harbor was piddling compared to Stormwind.

Despite her discomfort in the shimmer, the briny air was good therapy. By the time the boat reached Ratchet, she was focused on the task ahead. Her improved mood made her briefly consider the idea of going north immediately. But she chose to stick to her plan. Besides, she might be able to learn more about the halforcen if she asked around before entering the capital. A lot of nefarious Horde denizens travelled through the Crossroads. It was quite likely many of them visited the fight club.

Years ago, she’d gone to The Crossroads on an errand for the Old Man. He wanted to purchase some mushrooms for gods-knew-what and had insisted only Helbrim, the local apothecary, had the proper kind of fungi. Helbrim was the only citizen of the hamlet who had seen her up close. One time, years ago, made it unlikely he would remember. Still, she avoided his tent on her way to the inn.

It was midafternoon when she arrived and the bar was open. The menu had blood sausage listed as one of the specials. Ash made a valiant effort at not gagging. She decided to stick with ale and smoked sagefish. They were close enough to the fishing port of Ratchet that she assumed the fish would be fresh.

The locals were friendly and unsuspicious. A Tauren couple invited her to join them. Later, a Blood Elf and an Orc, both friends of the Tauren, sat down as well. Ash touched her strange ears less as each hour came and went.

When Om’tok, the Orc, propositioned her, she concluded she passed her self-imposed test. She was about to beg off when Helbrim entered the inn. The apothecary walked straight towards the innkeeper and began an intense discussion. They were too far away for Ash to hear their dialogue, but they appeared to be in the middle of some sort of negotiation.

She smiled at Om’tok and leaned closer, hoping the Orc’s girth would shield her form. The innkeeper gestured in apparent disagreement with Helbrim, but the latter must have been as cajoling as she remembered for the men’s conversation ended with a handshake. The innkeeper headed to the front to greet some new guests and Helbrim strode to the bar.

Ash took a long sip of her ale then swung her hair forward as she set the mug on the table. Helbrim seemed unconcerned with the other patrons as he lit a cigarette, leaving it dangling between his decaying lips. He pulled out a small book in which he began to jot some notes.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Ash finished off her ale and ordered another. And another. By the time Helbrim looked up from his notebook, Ash had consumed far too much alcohol to continue travelling. She asked the innkeeper about renting a bed for the night and Om’tok made a second attempt at seduction.

“The beds here are big enough for a High Mountain Tauren. Or two.”

“That’s nice.” Ash rose from her stool. Unsteady, but able to hold her own. “If you find one, I’m sure you’ll have a great time.”

“I would. But I was thinking you and I could…” He didn’t exactly grab Ash’s arm, but moved as if he was thinking about it. She backed up, nearly knocking her chair over.

“Oops!”

“Allow me to help you.” This time, Om’tok did reach for her arm but Ash swung away.

“I’m good, thanks.” They were starting to get noticed. Even Helbrim was looking over and Ash wanted this scene over. “Good night.”

Helbrim turned now and was staring in their direction. In her inebriated state, she shrugged in his direction as if to apologise for the commotion. To Om’tok she said, “Thanks for the conversation but I must get my beauty sleep.”

The way to her room led her past the apothecary. She was just on the other side of him when he spoke. “Have we met?”

She wanted to hurry but willed her feet to move in the slow dancing walk of an intoxicated elf. “I don’t think so,” she said.

4 Likes

((You can reply to yourself on different characters, so just need to hop back and forth between two of them. :slight_smile:

Great story so far!))

((Fortunately, I figured out the character switch in order to reply. The work-around does the job but it’s dumb we have to do that.

And thanks!))

2 Likes

The following morning, there was no sign of Helbrim, but Om’tok was sitting at the bar, methodically making his way through a sizeable breakfast plate. The sight of food made Ash’s stomach threaten revolt. She asked the innkeeper for some tea.

“Tea alone won’t settle a stomach plagued by drink.” Om’tok stabbed an extra-large bite of blood sausage and held it up to Ash. “Here. Have some. It’s good for all ills.”

Ash waved him off. “Thanks. But I’ll stick with tea.”

“Will you be staying in the area for a while, or…?”

Her rebellious gut was distracting but Ash was able to recall some of the previous evening’s conversation. Om’tok had mentioned his hatred of corrupt kaldorei caused him to keep his distance from the area southwest of town.

Putting on her best smile, she said, “I am of a mind to take a tour of the Wailing Caverns.”

Disappointed, Om’tok set down his fork. Last night, he had made broad hints that he was likely going in whatever direction she was. But at the mention of her intent to venture into the caves he shuddered and murmured, “Lok’tar ogar,” claiming he needed to get his axe to the blacksmith.

Still, as a precaution Ash took the long way around the Caverns and then travelled north through the Mor’shan Ramparts then east into Azhshara.

The Rear Gate of Orgrimmar was less daunting than the front but no less intimidating to one who should not be there. She’d never been inside by herself. Someone from the Old Man’s estate had always accompanied her whenever she used the shimmer.

As she entered the back door of the Horde capital, the guards grunted “Throm’ka” which she took as a good sign the illusion was still holding up. She knew it wouldn’t suddenly fade, leaving her exposed—that’s not how it functioned. She was more concerned about her mannerisms betraying her. Her nerves were as spiky as the Blade’s Edge Mountains. But her experience at The Crossroads gave her enough confidence to kept her feet moving down the hill into the Valley of Honor.

2 Likes

“Gerty! Gerty! Gerty! Guess what! Guess! Guess!”

Gertha hadn’t opened the door halfway before Nabbi came running. “I’m sure I could no’ even if ya were ta let me get a word in” Gertha nodded to the two shopping bags still outside the door. “Grab those and bring ‘em in, please.”

“Bu—”

“No buts, Nabbi.” Gertha set the two bags she was holding on the table. “Now ‘elp me get these things in the pantry. We’re havin’ roast boar fer supper. Vainaa promised she’d bring home the meat.”

“Nobody cares about Vainaa’s meat!”

“Ya seemed ta be ‘ighly appreciative last week when she brought ‘ome a shark an I made yer favourite fin soup.” Shooing Nabbi to get the other bags, Gertha began putting things away.

“I meant nobody cares about food at a time like this!”

“Since when do ya no’ care fer food?” Gertha mumbled something about Nabbi’s desire for second breakfasts and late-night snacks. “Yer always eatin’. Even when ya shouldn’a be.”

“Gerty! I’m being serious now.” She slapped the opened envelope on the table. “We got a letter from the boss lady!”

3 Likes

Eh, I’m sorry, I should have been replying instead of just enjoying.)

1 Like

((No worries. I’m just glad people are reading and enjoying!))

The dust inside Brawl’gar Arena was aggressive. Recent fights had stirred up the earthen floor, pushing a large plume towards the entrance. Nearly everyone was coughing and those with allergies were leaving. Ash already had a headache and the dirty haze made it worse.

In addition to the pain in the back of her skull, she’d been feeling nauseated all morning. Nerves , she figured. She was anxious as well as eager to find the halforcen. If the rumour turned out to be true.

The path to the back where the bar and kitchen were located seemed interminably long. She was stopped at least four times by peddlers of odds and sundry and once by an arena employee asking if she were there to fight. She was almost there when the ringmaster announced the appearance of a previously retired champion. The crowd cheered as a blood elf warrior in old, well-used armour entered the ring. A small, foxlike creature Ash had never seen before followed the warrior.

Everyone who had been in the bar exited when the new fight was announced. A crowd pushed against Ash as they made their way to the ring or bookies. Frustration shook her as the steps that should have taken less than a minute took nearly ten. By the time she entered the bar it was empty, save the barkeep.

He looked up as she came in. “Not interested in seeing the old champ get dusted by the newcomer?”

“Not really.” Small talk will loosen him up, she thought. “Who is the newcomer?”

The barkeep gathered dishes and glasses from the tables. “Did you see ‘im? He’s a little horror, that vulpera.”

“Vul-pera?” Ash sat down at the bar so that when he came back, she wouldn’t have to yell her questions.

“Yep.” He tilted his head toward the wall of pictures behind the counter. “He’s the one on the right. Ya haven’t seen one before?”

Ash shook her head. “I’ve been away.”

“Well, they’re slowly making themselves known around here. Baine sure misjudged them at first.” He set the tub of dirty dishes behind the counter. “What can I get for you?”

“Baine? Baine Bloodhoof?”

The barkeep stopped what he was doing and stared at Ash. “You have been away. You do know we’re under council rule now, right?”

Ash wasn’t curious enough to ask. She had more pressing matters. “Yes, of course. I was just distracted by the fight.” She motioned towards the ring where the vulpera had just fired a large hand-cannon and his opponent was rolling on the ground.

“Hmph!” The barkeep leaned forward. “Celoren is going to get his behind kicked. Again. He should have given up seventeen fights ago.”

“The announcer mentioned he’s come out of retirement?”

“He claims he’s back and ready to reclaim his title.” The barkeep pointed to another picture with Celoren holding a large, ornate belt. “Personally, I think he needs the money.”

Ash nodded as if she cared about the goings on of down-on-his-luck blood elf. “Do you have any Dalaran Noir?” She would rather drink from the Bloodvenom River than take sip of Dalaran Noir.

“Eh, this is a fight club, lady. I got mostly rum and punch. The closest thing I got to the fancy stuff is a wine that’s kinda fruity.” He held up a bottle. “Do you want it?”

The rum sounded fantastic, but Ash nodded and set two silver on the bar. She looked back at the fight ring while the barkeep pulled a glass off a shelf. “When I came in, a large group was leaving yet you are here by yourself. Do you not have anyone to help you when it gets busy?”

He squinted, sizing Ash up. “You looking for work?”

She kept her eyes on the fight. The vulpera was now standing on top of the blood elf’s chest, pummelling the face shield of the fallen man. “No, just wondering how this place is kept running by one person.”

“My wife helps out sometimes. But it’s mostly just me.” He filled the glass up halfway and pushed one silver back towards her. “It might not be to your liking.”

It wasn’t. “It’s fine.” She glanced back at him for a moment before turning to see the blood elf stagger to his feet as the crowd roared. “I was curious because I heard a little rumour a while back.”

The barkeep’s squint became a scowl. “A rumour. About my bar?”

“I’m sure it was nothing.” She took another sip and smiled. “After all, it was clearly unfounded.”

His hand, cracked and dry from years of washing dishes, slapped the top of the bar with crinkled thud. His expression of consternation was almost comical. “What did you hear?”

“I heard you keep underage orc girls in your employ.”

His cheeks swelled. “Baine would have my hide.”

Damn. Another dead end. She managed a smile. “I see.”

“Besides,” he leaned forward. “You can’t trust those jolly green giants with glass. They’ll literally crush the overhead budget.”

“Rumours get started by the wildest of imaginations.” Ash closed her eyes for a moment and rubbed the back of her head. “So you’ve never had any orcs working here? At all?”

“Absolutely not! Who told you that bit of a twisted nickle?”

“I’m not sure. I travel so much.” She wasn’t going to give him the name. Her informant in Booty Bay would never trust her again. “But if I recall correctly, I believe it was at the Speedbarge Bar in Thousand Needles.”

“Damn that Pozzik! He lets the worst kind in there.”

Ash coughed. She was feeling quite unwell. Setting down the glass, she slid several silver towards him. “Thanks for the drink. This dust is getting to me.”

The barkeep took the money with a nod and went back to washing glasses, grumbling about incompetent goblins.

Her stomach knotted like Kypari Zar, Ash left just as the vulpera was declared the winner. Outside, she found a bench, slid down until she was prone and sighed.

2 Likes

Gertha’s red brows squished and rose with a sundering of emotion. Her eyes brightened in elation as her nose squished in concern. She removed the prosthetic from her left arm and rubbed the stump of her wrist as she blinked in rapid succession.

“Well, tha’s wonderful. Where is she off to now?”

“She’s coming home!”

The dwarf put the prosthetic in a cupboard above the sink. “Fer certain?”

“I’m pretty sure!”

“Pretty sure isn’t absolutely sure.” Vainaa was surprisingly stealthy for a draenei.

“Vainaa! We got—” Nabbi turned around and choked. “What did you do to your hair?”

Vainaa stared. Hard. “I cut it.”

“You know there are these people called stylists, right?”

“I went to a stylist.”

“Really? Are you sure?” Nabbi grabbed a pencil and jotted something on a sticky note. “Here’s the number for Kizi in Dalaran. It’s a ways to go for a haircut, but it’s worth it because she can fix any—"

“Move, Gerty. I’m going to kill the gnome. I don’t care if it will upset the boss. She’s not here and I can make it look like an accident.”

1 Like

“Now, girls.” Gertha moved, setting herself in front of Nabbi. “There’ll be no killin’, accidental or otherwise.” Her heel kicked backwards into Nabbi’s shin. “And no more insultin’ either.”

Vainaa’s sword was halfway out of its sheath and Nabbi’s mouth was already forming a protest. Gertha continued, “Or there will be no more of Noikona’s apple pie.”

Both Nabbi and Vainaa ceased all motion.

“Tha’s more like it.” Gertha gave them both her best imitation of a stink eye, which looked more like she just had an itchy infection, but the draenei and the gnome were no longer at odds.

“Vainaa, while you were swinging your sword, I forgot to tell you that we got a letter from the boss!”

“I heard.” Vainaa picked up the envelope and inspected the post mark. “I’m quite certain the entire neighborhood heard. Your exuberance is nothing short of one of Nalak’s storm clouds.”

“She’s coming home!” Nabbi pulled all the apples out of one of the shopping bags and set them in a bowl in front of Gertha. “She got a great lead and if it works out…well, you know.”

Gertha sat down on a kitchen stool and began peeling apples. “Tis a lovely thought, Nabbi, but—"

“It doesn’t mean she’s coming home.” Vainaa’s upper lip twisted. “It’s likely just another fool’s errand anyway. Like all the other leads she’s gotten.” She sat next to Gertha and began folding the empty shopping bags. “She’ll hear another rumour and go traipsing off again before she even sets foot in Elwynn.”

Nabbi climbed the step ladder next to her stool. “You’re both so cynical. She’s coming home, I tell you.”

All three of them looked at the empty fourth stool.

1 Like

Stormwind harbour was mostly empty this time of night. The sky was clear and The White Lady out, stretching her her long, shimmering arms across the marina. Several ships were in port, some she recognized and a few new ones. Ash left the deck of the vessel she’d bought passage on and strode down the plank.

She coughed a little as she moved down the dock. She was about halfway to the quay when a drunk deckhand stumbled his way from behind a tall stack of cargo and into Ash’s path. She caught him before he fed himself to the fish.

“Steady on.” She jerked the dwarf’s hauberk backwards, dropping him on the wooden slats.

“Whoa! I thank ya. I do. I wasn’t lookin’ fer a bath tonight. Just washed meself last week!”

“You don’t say.” Her eyes watering, Ash moved back several paces, and pulled her scarf tighter around her nose and mouth. “But perhaps tonight you ought to just find your bed before you get yourself in trouble.”

“Yesh.” He glanced around stupidly.

Sighing, Ash pressed the scarf against her face and held the dwarf’s shoulder with her other hand, propelling him forward. “Which ship is yours, sailor?”

“Well now, lemme see.” His head jerked back and forth, scanning the harbour.

Ash looked up at the sound of hooves. A patrolman from the Watch was moving towards them.

“Gither Sloshdern! I warned you last time you got drunk and bothered responsible citizens, you would find yourself a bed in the Stockades if you did it again. Let’s go.”

“Now jusht a gods darn minute. I’m not ‘xactly drunk and me and thish fine young lassie were havin’ a dishcussion about that crazy region queen Moira and her vile dark irons.”

“That would be the Queen-Regent, Gither.” The guard attempted to take the dwarf in hand, but Ash pulled him to her side.

“He wasn’t bothering me, sir.” The words came out soft and sincere. Sometimes she surprised herself.

The guard hesitated. His lips moved and Ash thought he was about to disagree. “We’re fine, sir. I was just walking Gither home.”

“You mean to that mouldy cave he calls a boat?” The guard pointed to a slip with a small odd-shaped barge.

“Yes. Exactly.”

“Yesh!” Gither reached up and tried to put his arm around Ash’s waist. “She’s comin’ home with me!”

“Well, no, not that type of exactly.” Ash moved out of reach of both men. “You’re almost home Gither. I think you can make it the rest of the way.”

Gither grunted. “I knew it was too good ta be true.” He stumbled a little but was able to climb aboard his floating home.

Ash nodded in the general direction of the guard and started walking. Coughing, she pulled the scarf tighter. She was not inclined to be in the company of a Watchman for too long.

“Are you from around here, miss?”

Ash was almost past him when his question stopped her. She took her time turning back. “Have you been to the Blue Recluse lately?”

His inquisitiveness turned stern. “Miss, you really ought to head home yourself instead of finding a drink.”

“Oh, no. I don’t want a drink. I was just wondering about the owner.”

“You mean the Bards?”

“The Ba—” Ash had no idea what he was talking about. “Yes. I mean no. Of course not the current owner. I meant the one a while back. Noikona was her name.”

“The soup?”

“The what?”

“The Recluse serves a Noikona soup.”

Ash laughed out loud, causing her throat to catch and cough again. The guard narrowed his eyes. “Do you need any help, miss?”

Still laughing, she shook her head and moved away, wondering why she hadn’t done that sooner. A few years ago, she would have avoided the Watch at all costs. She would have let the dwarf find his own way home. Hell, she would have watched him fall in the water and snickered about it.

She shook her head. “No. Thank you though. I’m just headed home.”

Nabbi grinned as she pulled a small wooden block from the middle of the tower and set it on top. “Boom! That’s the last easy one. There’s no way you can win without knocking it over, V.”

Silence sifted across the table. Vainaa stood—carefully, so as to not bump anything—and walked around the table. She examined the tower from every angle for more than a few minutes.

The gnome began to fidget. “C’mon. Just pick and pull. Dinner’s almost ready.”

“Ya’ve got at least thirty minutes!” Gertha called.

Nabbi scowled in the general direction of the kitchen. Vainaa continued to assess her options. Finally, her brows shot up and those that knew her well would recognize the faint crinkle that passed for a smile. Nabbi scowled harder. The tower barely breathed as Vainaa tapped a wooden block out of the third row from the bottom.

“Top that, midget.”

Nabbi’s mouth opened, ready to spew a retort when the knob on the front door clicked. Nabbi was standing on the seat of her chair in two seconds, throwing stars ready in both hands. Vainaa was already several paces forward, sword drawn, and had whistled at Gertha.

Vainaa paused when the lock tumbled as a key slid in and turned. One brow arched, she glanced back at Gertha. But Nabbi dropped her stars on the table and darted around the draenei.

Always cautious, Vainaa called out, “Wait.” But her sword was down at her side and she was smiling freely now.

The door opened and Nabbi flung herself at their caller. “Azzy!”

Ash coughed, one hand on the doorknob to keep her steady while the other dropped her rucksack. She squeezed Nabbi’s shoulder. “Hey, Nabs.”

Gertha set her rolling pin on the table. It spun into the tower, scattering the wooden blocks across the table and onto the floor. “Why hullo there, Miss Ash.” She moved closer, inserting herself into the hug between Nabbi and Ash.

Vainaa nodded when Ash smiled at her. “Good to see you, Boss.”

“It’s good to see you too, Vainaa.” Ash coughed again, her frame bending at the effort. “It’s good to see all of you.”

((One week after Ash arrived home.))

Slow as molten heat, hunched as storm-wrenched tree, low as carrion insect, the witch moved through the great gate of Stormwind. Her cloak, over-large and ill-fitting, covered almost every detail of her body. She held it closed with her left claw. Her right limb, which hung loose at her side, carried a tangled bouquet of dried flowers. She smelled, almost overwhelmingly, like eucalyptus and mint. Had anyone come close enough to touch her, they would have tasted something else in the air. Something less pleasant—something like upheaved cemetery dirt. Something like Lordaeron after Sylvanas blighted the armies. But the witch was small and most of the people she passed either did not notice her or deemed her inconsequential.

She made her way to Cathedral Square without any interaction from the city’s citizens. She paused and looked to the right, noting the Watch’s office was exactly where her contact said it would be. She noted the position of the sun. Ten minutes until shift change. Plenty of time.

She circled the cathedral on the western side, she passed the gazebo and came round the corner by Stormwind Lake. She glanced at the house just past the small dock then shifted her gaze down the length of the cathedral towards the Watch office. She watched as two officers entered. A few minutes later, two officers left the Watch building. As soon as they were out of sight, she looked back at the empty gazebo area and dropped the bouquet.

She let the front of the cloak spill open, exposing her claw. With a dexterity that belied her fragile appearance, she scaled the wall. The claw was magnificent tool, useful for many things—the least of which was climbing. She made quick work of the ascent and was near the top and hidden by a spire in less than two minutes.

Orienting herself, she sat, pulled out her spyglass and trained it on the house by the dock. The curtains in the windows were only partially drawn. But the gap was enough that she could see inside each room.

She saw four figures. Downstairs, a draenei female with an odd haircut paced the living room floor as she spoke fervently into her hearthstone. A bustling dwarf moved from upstairs to down and back again. Often bringing food or water to the others. In the upstairs bedroom closest to the cathedral, was a gnome, sitting next to a bed. She rubbed the back of the human.

The human female lay on the bed, foetal posture, feverish and coughing. Underneath her dark cowl, a flap of skin that may have once been an upper lip twisted into something, that in another life might have resembled a smile.