Rsham mana problem

I think everyone that plays resto sham will agree with me on this, resto shaman eats through their mana bar way too fast if youre not paying attention to it, i play with a pres/mw/disc/hpriest/hpal in my raid, ive noticed that resto was the only spec that requires heavy mana management, and any fight thats longer than 6-8 min, requires even more management, so i feel like resurgence needs to get back to df value that would help us with our mana issue, making MTT a % based regen could also help not only the sham but the whole healing core, and would make it actually good unlike its current state. Anyway, im hoping for future patch to review the rsham mana problem, maybe lower the cost of spell would be good too, surging totem cost 216k mana and ch is 5% mana, its wild…

Yeah Ive whisped our two rdruids to innervate me on CD cause I blow through mana quick.

I always try to get Source of Magic from my evoker.

Yeah it seems like a problem. It will get better with more Crit. The problem evolved from the current playstlye. The current “meta” (Totemic Chain) is very mana intensive. Of course if you are spamming chain heal, you are going to run OOM fast.

If you are finding yourself running OOM on some fights consider going Farseer Riptide which is much more efficient, or otherwise refrain from casting some spells until it is really needed

1 Like

Farseer sure is less mana intensive,but also isnt as good hps wise as totemic, so for high end raiding, its not as viable as totemic. But you are right, for the lower end, if youre having heavy mana problem, farseer is the right choice

I do think they could use a little more mana balancing. I chug mana potions and still if I don’t get Source of Magic I’m sweating. Meanwhile, my disc priest basically has infinite mana.

Yeah, exactly what im saying, and even my disc is saying the same, he has infinite mana while doing good hps, meanwhile rsham burn through their mana bar to do the same

While I agree that RShaman’s have mana issues, I went digging to see if it was a rotation issue I was having or legit mana issues. Turns out it was a bit of both. Riptide, though arguable weak, should be used on CD, then chain heal for 0.5s or even faster depending on procs/buffs. I really only use healing rain/surging totem when there’s a lot of melee dmg. the other issue I had is I wasn’t moving my totems (Totemic Projection I think), and this has helped me a lot with healing tide and surging totem, because instead of waiting for it, I started moving my totems and that made a huge difference in my mana. Finally, I’m starting to notice that Rshamans scale very well, so the higher the gear, obviously the bigger the heal, meaning less casts needed. So, yes, mana issues no doubt, but it could be bit of a rotation issue too, or at least it was for me. Now, it bugs me to watch my holy pally have no mana issues at all :frowning:

I just think it’s funny that Surging Totem makes such a noticeable dent in your mana bar.

It doesn’t help that basically everything a shaman does uses mana. When I’m running on fumes and astral shift, maybe I no longer have mana to use Healing Tide, which sucks.

1 Like

Totemic has been the worst healing experience I’ve had in terms of mana problems. I am trying to review how I played Resto but even many logs have Shamans running on empty the last 30% of some fights.

I’m certainly not a fan of needing external help with mana under normal circumstances, just as how tanks dislike being beholden to healers for routine survival.

The movement portion I completely agree with. I could be far better in moving the totem and is quite annoying right now for me on Rashanan due to the movement.

Surging Totem is certainly strange though, you want your ground healing ability always out but it cost so much to do it. Surging totem is also arguably more mana efficient than Healing Rain (what with hits cost recouped over time), it’s just that the upfront mana cost is so absurd.

I definitely have a bit to learn about Totemic Resto, by no means though do I think I should go oom 50-70% into the fight just by using basic rotational abilities (and I don’t mean chain spam).

1 Like

Totemic is super harsh on mana. You need to utilize the buffs to CH as much as possible, use Protection Totem and double layer it whenever possible and your cd’s chain with CBT or HTT passively very effectively.

Farseer is excellent for Mythic Plus but it does fall short in raiding.

I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t tried Farseer in M+. I’ll give it a go tonight, but I was struggling with mana on +4/+5 last night, drinking in between pulls. Aside from the mana issues, I’m loving both resto and ele this expac.

Question about gearing, as I’m not that experienced in M+, this will be my first season to go a little bit serious semi-hc M+. Do you guys attempt to get your trinkets first, running +4/+5 keys and then upgrading or do you make due with the trinkets you have? I’ve had some bad luck on trinkets and they are all C tier. Just wondering how you guys gear for M+, what you gear first, etc.

It’s very good simply because you don’t have to rely on healing rain as much nor the mana cost. You can also do very efficient healing with the ancestors and riptide. You can use totemic projection to move Surging Totem but due to the often chaotic nature of mythic plus it becomes more annoying than useful.

Honestly trinkets do not matter as much as simply getting gear and tier first. There are good dungeon trinkets like Gale from Grim Batol you can look for.

1 Like

Thanks!
so now, how do we fix the mana issues we’re all having aside from switching specs which is only slightly better on mana?

1. If you reduce the mana on some spells they’ll feel over powered (surging totem).
  2. If you buff the amount healed to reflect the mana cost, they’ll feel over powered, but you’ll still run out of mana because higher keys or MRaiding require more HPS.

What if you reduce the number of jumps and mana on CH, but increase the healing?
AND make healing rain more powerful?

Could you also buff mana tide totem and reduce the CD from 3 mins to 2 mins?

anyways, just some thoughts.