RPG element vs Min maxing

To me, the term “RPG” simply refers to the aspect of acting out the persona of an imaginary character in some kind of imaginary setting. You’re “playing a role”.

All the rest is simply game mechanics and play style.

3 Likes

And thats why people are concerned about covenants, no one in his sane mind believes blizzard can balance covenants properly after seeing the job they did with azerite, essences and specially corruption in every single aspect of the game, so they would rather have them push the “oh crap” button asap, make the abilities swappable and call it a day, everyone benefits.

2 Likes

Sure, but he’s referring to balance specifically. And trying to argue that maybe blizzard will get covenant balance right.

What’s the line, then, between Zelda and an rpg?

Maybe there’s no real “line” at all. It’s a matter of perception.

…or in some cases, just marketing.

1 Like

Covenants offer meaningful choices. Choices like “what spec do you want to play all expansion” or “do you want to be useless in pvp”

1 Like

I’d say there isn’t much chance for role playing in Zelda because your only choice is the role the designers give you - much like with an interactive movie.

They probably will not to be honest.

There are a few that are dumb and really should be changed but I do think some permanent to a choice is refreshing.

Venythir should be a travel not a port.

Hunter/DH shouldn’t ignore LoS with theirs.

Mage one should not silence and root on final tick.

Overall though for the vast majority it won’t be the difference on if they win or lose anything, that will be decided by their (lack of) skill.

1 Like

Depends. Some are better in dungeons, some are better in raids. Focusing iris is never on anybody’s BiS list, but find one that shells out more damage in a dungeon.

Everyone thought IS was king, but it’s total garbage outside of three raid bosses. TD is powerful, but more and more people are stacking secondaries. They’re actually a lot of fun to play around with.

1 Like

Be that as it may, you’re still playing a role. To me that’s an RPG.

Some simply have more limitations.

I get your point but with min/maxing your character is just a spreadsheet essentially where you plug-in all the options and choices that yield the best results. So yeah, that sort of is the complete antithesis of role-playing.

RPing is ultimately a creative expression where you make choices based on a personality you choose for your character. That’s basically impossible to achieve if you are someone who always prioritizes min/maxing

Having 45% of your damage dictated by a corruption proc is not what you call fun exactly, and shows the terrible job blizz did at balancing.

To be fair, I kinda think its blizz’s fault. Players will naturally try to min-max, its human nature. Blizzard instead of realizing this and combatting it, decide to either go scorched earth NO ONE can min max, or they give up and enable it with swappable options

I don’t get why people need to have blizzard to tell them that they can’t change covenants to role play not changing covenants. Must be 3.5 players.

Honestly the only solution is if wow finishs stealing from final fantasy 14… really shadowlands such a theif mode of shadowbringers lol (they couldn’t even come up with a unique name on their own)

but really the good solution to it is to add (like ffxiv has all things to the roulette (but add item levels and then u can allow ppl to premake parties), why this is good is the issue of it is people the community itself is pure sh!t on the masses to the point ppl basicly play the game not for fun but in fear of of making the character they want and then being kicked out from stuff…

The fix that needs to be added is Myth+raid higher end all needs to be rouletteable(or wows equal number) with a require of must have a “key or item level to do it” then ppl can premake their perfect cookie cutter characters and the people who don’t do that can do the stuff without fear…
Then focus purely on the rpg

The people that actually roleplay in wow is a minority compared to the part that pvps/raids/farms without roleplaying, so lets not pretend that real roleplaying is how the game is meant to be played.

1 Like

The vast majority of dps aren’t using proc ones anymore.

Maybe DHs cheesing Shad’har parses

By that standard every game where you are not playing yourself is a role playing game. I don’t think it is a useful term with that broad a definition.

hey remember in classic when druids were thought to be terrible, then someone realized the gnomeragan pummeler was broken, despite being 20 ilevels in the past remained relevant and made a class single handedly viable due to creative players?

I do

And Xanesh, and Skithra, and Wrathion, and Maut, and Ilgynoth, and Carapace.

Its a terrible system.