(RP Topic) Does Magical Healing Cheapen RP?

So we all use it, the magical fix it all button. But if we take a step back, what does it really do for us as writers, or even as DMs? Where as not many people want their character to die, or even become too harmed in their stories, so let me preface this with; We all understand this, but just wanted to pose the question and the rational behind it.

Healing while extremely needed in adventures should never completely remove the aspect of failure, or even death in these adventures. Even if you want your character to come out in complete working order, giving it an immediate full health back effect. What was the actual risk your character took? If that was the case and anyone could just be insta healed immediately why did your character have to go and deal with the problem? Why couldn’t they of just sent in Joe Smoe instead. Stories without any risk, is that even an adventure?

But don’t let me get you down, Healers you’re still VERY needed. I’m just posing this as a food for thought for consideration to the next event you may have. And to those writers, how do you address this issue?

Me personally I usually take a decent amount of time off IC to recover, and/or go into the next event still injured with a lower HP pool.

depends on the writer
some just wiggle their fingers and wham0 blam0, theyre done

others get intimate with the spell, how it affects the wounds and the patient, and sometimes the spell isnt enough and needs non-magical assistance

I recommend attending one of the Healers of Azeroth rp events, they get into all KINDS of detail about standard/magical healing practices, even using the more controversial methods like fel healing

1 Like

From the Office of the Empress:

The effectiveness of healing through spell-work, potions, herbal administration should depend on the severity of the wound. In the world of magic and DND there are 5 levels of injury to rate the type of healing.

Level 1: Scrapes, cuts, bruises, rashes, sun burns. These are simple in healing to remove injury and promote a sense of wellness in the individual. Stamina is restored and the player can feel good as new.

Level 2: Slashes 1/8 to 1/2 inch, broken bones, second degree burns, poison, infected wounds. These are categorized as the uncomfortable or inability-to-focus injuries. They can be draining and require temporary self-attention or aid from a fellow practitioner. If left untreated they can develop into stage three injuries. Bandages, herbs, or potions of restoration to help promote healing and rest less than 24 hours is mandated.

Level 3. Deep cuts, stabs, bullet holes up to 3, 3rd degree burns, shrapnel from explosions. These injuries are the most severe and require immediate aid and attention from others. Self care is not an option. Elixirs, continuous casts of magic, revive spells, powerful herbs applied hourly is required. This stage is where the patient is in need of long term rest while aid is administered around the clock. Patient may take 2-5 days to recover.

Level 4: Amputation, bullet wounds - multiple, internal bleeding, explosion damage or body disfigurement. This is the unknown stage. These require the same care of level 3 but are weight by time from injury to aid application. If treated immediately they can move to level 3 but too much time and is an immediate move to level 5. Sleep spells, time manipulation, freeze spells are the only counter to bring the patient up to level 3.

Level 5: Death, body dismemberment, incineration. This is the shell stage, the body is no longer feasible and yet the soul can be saved/captured and placed into a host or shell if necessary. Beyond that, not even resurrection will work unless through some form of necromancy.

These 5 levels should help aid the fellow adventurer in determining the potency and level of response to the injuries of each RP event.

Sincerely, Her Majesty the Empress.

WoW is heroic fantasy. Plenty of healing can be done in heroic fantasy , and yet the adventure still presents risks even to high powered characters.

If you confront the evil sorcerer while he’s channeling his powerful summoning spell, and his minions wipe the party… even if the party fully resurrects somehow, the party has failed to stop the sorcerer. The threat isn’t against the party. It’s against who they were trying to save in the first place- the innocent noncombatants.

No amount of healing spells can undo the lost time you spent trying to defeat your nemesis. While your healer may be capable of clutch saves with your party members, they can’t save every noncombatant now caught in the crosshairs of your rampaging nemesis. You’ll spend a while picking up the pieces. That failure has weight, and you’ll feel it when you see the ashes and rubble in their wake.

I kinda solved my own problem with this by taking a practical lean on healing. Xan is a priest, but he’s also a trained medic, and he approaches most all issues from the medic’s point of view first. He considers the Light to be a sacred power too great to be squandered on silly things like cuts and bruises-- asking him to do so would be an insult. When we get into MAJOR life-threatening injuries that can’t easily be solved by a band aid, stitches or casts, then he’ll bust out the big guns… but it’s gonna hurt. It won’t hurt him. But it WILL hurt you. :slight_smile:

Obvs is up to every individual how they’re gonna treat healing, but I like that angle. Makes my character feel more useful and prevents people from trying to use him as a personal pocket healer, which he quite despises.

I think magical healing cheapens RP the same way as forcing IRL medical stuff or any IRL stuff does.

I came to a fantasy world to roleplay a fantasy character with fantasy abilities and access to fantasy things like potions. So I don’t really want to hear how unrealistic the Light is and I need to have stitches to heal my cut. But I also think it takes away from character devleopment to lose a limb and be fine ten minutes later.

There is a a balance for fun and creativity but also just ask. Want me to patch you with the Light or drop you off at some medical facility. Player’s choice.

The good 'ol cop out answer: it comes down to what you want to do with the narrative.

Recent example. The very first event my character attended with a new guild when I first returned to DF was hit by a critical failure, and then almost critical damage immediately after, going from 100% HP in their roll system to something like 10-20%. I ended up roleplaying it out and saying that their armor was pretty much shredded and spent some time writing out their recovery, visiting a healer or two in the Stormwind cathedral, and shopping around for an IC leather armor seller for a replacement…Actually, I still haven’t found any IC leatherworkers >_>

For additional context, though, the character I was using is meant to be extremely hardy. Insofar as I know, they have the highest health of anyone in the guild so far using said guild’s roll system and the highest to defense, so I elected to take the near-0-HP stuff as extremely damaging and spawned off some roleplay interactions, but I didn’t have her down for the count for OOC or IC weeks/months on end. I actually spent a little time having the character do some more lightweight research on a side thing for the story campaign we’re doing and counted that as their recovery time.

Also, one other thing I want to point out in the case of battles, either emote or d20 based - taking ‘damage’ can mean fatigue! On one of my characters, a battlemage, I count half her health as, well…‘flesh’ and half as ‘ward’, and healing the first half of her HP is just regenerating her own wards. On my less magically inclined characters, I’ll sometimes count a strike reducing HP as forcing them to expend additional endurance to avoid getting their skull smashed in. This also gives healers some more leeway to work with as well, since it lets their heals regenerate allies’ stamina instead of something like internal bleeding, flesh wounds and the like.

Finally…Last thought. It’s relatively easy to see mighty warrior-type characters, or mighty mages. Archmages, archdruids, warriors and paladins in full plate with powerfully enchanted weapons. Less commonly seen, I’ve found (admittedly, it might be 'cause I’m not super involved in dedicated healing communities, but still) is the healer equivalent. One character I made recently to explore that sorta thing is a priest Lightforged who is exceedingly old and spent almost her entire life cramming allies full of green numbers. Full disclosure, I’m of the opinion that unless it’s mid-battle, every encounter with healing should include mundane methods first, and sometimes only if only time is required to heal the wound. I like to play healers who have extremely limited mana pools, limits to their mental endurance, and so on. The best way I’ve found to let healers feel cool and whatnot is to boil it down to ‘unless someone is cutting your head off right this moment, the chances of you dying on the spot are very slim’…and that’s it. Everything still hurts. Trying to walk on a broken leg while being healed would still definitely make it worse in new and interesting ways. For my uber-priest in particular, I play up to her history - she was a battlefield priest, so her spells and ability consist almost entirely of ‘you can keep fighting’. And, well…you can keep fighting - in some cases, you probably really shouldn’t, but you can if you want. In the aftermath of a fight, I’d treat Renew/Heal spam more as speeding up recovery, and any extremely complicated wounds such as organ damage, or heck even multiple organ damage + bleeding + probably some sort of magical effect fighting against the heals as taking just as much effort and concentration as actual surgery. That is, something that 99% of the time isn’t - and really, mostly can’t - be done in the middle of battle or something to take effect immediately even if it’s successful. If someone is injured but is probably going to be fine without magical intervention, she’d likely refuse to help them because stamina is limited and there are probably other people who will actually need that kind of assistance.

There’s always that ‘what is the risk you took’, and maybe that risk is ‘they got used to having a healer to patch them up…until they didn’t’. DMs, target healers in your events! :smiley: Sprinkle in some ‘you’re wounded, but also magically infected with a DoT and the first person who tries to heal/dispel also gets rekt’. Maybe the villains lost the initial encounter, but that was their plan all along and they’ve sent out assassins to target the healers while said healers are hard at work zshwooping wounds away, kinda like interrupting an important magical ritual.

Uh. Anyway…

Does magical healing cheapen RP? TLDR it depends on the kind of narrative you want. I’ve found that matching the narrative significance of the situation (or even specific attack) in the healing process is a good way to go, because ultimately I’m after character growth (or regression) of some sort. Sometimes you get hit and your character has to ponder their life choices, expand their combat style and all that, and other times…Well, you can’t do that with every injury just like not every Stormwind walkup has to or should be a life-changing adventure spanning decades.

I tend to feel like, in most cases, nothing done in rp is inherently bad; it’s just a matter of how it’s done. Magical healing is only cheap if the writer in question makes it so. It’s a tool, and like any other it’s only as good as its wielder.

1 Like

Have you been losing limbs again?

exasperated sigh

Okay, where’s the last place you remember using it?

(In all seriousness…or at least all I can ever muster around this place…this is a “salt to taste” topic, and tastes differ, often…wait for it…

…dramatically.)

2 Likes

100% it does. It’s why I state when I’m doing healing rp, that your wound is never completely healed and will probably scar a bit. It’s also why my characters get pissy when someone using the Light heals them because people treat the Light as a cureall. Worse when someone has a concussion. Bright light coming from your hands is going to make that concussion worse. A lot worse.

If my character is injured, I will typically just shelve them for a few days if not a few weeks. As that’s more logical than just snapping your fingers and going “they’re cured!”

I feel like magical healing on it’s face is fine.

People come in injured and are expecting maybe an interesting time of being injured, having scars or forcing their character to have to basically act differently for a while, but some players use magic to basically erase and kiss the boo boo all better. Sometimes that’s fine.

It’s something that should be pre-arranged like all things OOCly so that people aren’t forced to commit to something they aren’t cool with. If both parties are okay with that limb getting fixed up in two seconds with a flash of light, no harm no foul. It’s their story.

Personally, I find the fun in magic is finding it’s limitations and how your character faces or tries to exceed them. Not in having the answer to every problem.

1 Like

I feel like magical healing -does- exist in the WoW universe and should be utilized by RPers- however it would have its limits.

For myself, I basically view magical healing on the battlefield to act as a temporary bandage to the situation. I still list my character’s injuries and go see the medics after the mission is over.

It also depends too on how the healer player described it. Healer players that might not be able to heal a DK will sometimes emote them providing a magical -barrier- instead for a certain amount of hit points. Say that my stock HP is 12 and I got hit for 4, so I’m down to 8/12 HP. Then a healer comes and gives me a barrier for +3, I will still list my HP as 8/12 (+3 barrier) and deduct from the barrier before dipping into HP loss again. That way it does not nullify the fact that they CAN’T actually heal my character.

For medic tent RP, I prefer a combination of IRL and magical healing methods. However, dependent on how long the RP campaign is, I will not always heal my character to full. They get 1d3 for the amount of rest they received, and 1d3 if they managed to see a healer. The second one is waived to a 2 HP bonus if there were no healers available to continue RP after the mission.

If you heal accurate to lore instances that aren’t from hero characters or ooc abilities, you’ll find it actually isn’t all powerful. If people heal realistically, it is typically a perfect balance between being better than real life comparisons, but not too magical to instantly save lives.

People need to remember they’re not RPing the hero characters of Blizzard.

2 Likes

It doesn’t have to. I mean as the Pook I literally roll the hard mechanics of the game into my character including the curse of immortality (not the good kind of immortality where you’re invincible but the bad kind of immortality where you just die over and over and over again to be resurrected until Death is finally ready for you).

OOC I’m old and IRL have suffered a number of tragedies of the limitations of flesh that modern medicine has repaired but there is a psychological toll to be paid for physical trauma even if things worked out okay in the end for this aged body. Magical healing can fix the body but there is no magical healing that can fix the mind. You can also have characters that suffer from psychosomatic injuries, a grievous wound that the healers all tell you has been fully and properly healed but the trauma of which still makes it feel like it is fresh and bleeding.

Physical injuries pale when compared to mental injuries.

1 Like

Rubs hands together
I have many thoughts about this & I am pleased I get to share them :crazy_face:

Personally, I like to impose a fairly a few major drawbacks for my OC, Celassa who is a Priestess of Elune.

— One of which is that she needs to be in physical contact with the one who she wishes to heal. Such as the brush of her hand against their shoulder or pressing her hands to their literal gaping wound- etc. This mostly serves as a means for me to get creative during our D20 events where Celassa has to fling herself into melee (much to the frustration of her Sentinel BFF)

^^ One way that I get around this is if Celassa slips this person an Elune Stone that they then hold close to their person during combat (such as their pocket) She is able to channel Her divine magic through that Elune Stone which is in contact with that person and she is able to heal them that way.

— That, and the one who is receiving her healing will have a really amplified heal on them if they are a believer of Elune. So one of her kin, say a Priestess for this example, may receive the full force of her (& Her) divine incantation. Whereas someone, such as a dwarf, who is not a believer of Elune will receive a smaller fraction/less optimal version of that same divine incantation. Merely because Celassa is essentially asking the Goddess for aid to heal X (X=one receiving healing) and if that person, X, is not open to the divine magics of Elune, they may not be fully open to Her magics when in a time of need.

— Finally, outside of my guild’s use of a D20 system and spellslots. I personally like to imagine that those who use magic pull from a sort of internal well of magic- not matter what that magic is. Whether it be divine or arcane or chaotic- etc. This allows me to still retain the constraints that I personally enjoy writing alongside, but also drain the character for the drama that may otherwise not exist if they are just meta all the time and never get tired and can just heal whatever any time they want.

^^ This can also be a reason for Celassa to not just slap heal a mere cut when another person has a gash on their thigh because she has to save her inner font of magic for the bigger wounds as opposed to a minor scrape.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your inputs, and I appreciate it not devolving into arguments.

To those still going to post please keep it going, but stay cordial.

1 Like

For me, the RP is only cheapened if the recipient gets a shoddy experience, regardless of outcome. Everyone else looking on is just the peanut gallery commenting on RP they are not involved in.

Lorewise, the Light, and Nature, and basically any other school that has “healing” properties, is, a cureall - provided if the caster is strong enough and the narration goes ‘yes, do it, we need it’. We have had examples of a shaman raising literal days-old remains back to life, and it wasn’t even an important ‘lore NPC’. Or a demon hunter needing to put revived by a blood mage and you were tasked to go find parts of his body, locked away in different parts of the zone and he comes back completely whole and alive. This is the sort of high fantasy world we RP in. And with Shadowlands and its cosmic spoiler, one can even say the very concept of ‘death’ has been blow wide apart and cheapened. (Sigh).

So imo, when it comes to ‘cheapening rp’, it really comes down to whether the person receiving the healing gets a good experience/story or not. As far as healing RP is concerned, it is usually never the healer’s call on ‘how much is healed’, it is the one needing healing that dictates how much is healed. Some players want a one-emote-done so they can keep on running and actually get bored if the healer puts too many emotes in. Some wants a full course meal of emotes with whispers on how their character feels. Others want a full, strict, ‘no matter what you do I will still be bedridden for days even if it’s just a papercut’ experience - because that’s their narrative and they will push it, us, those who RP healers, are only facilitators to their story.

There has been server campaigns where severed limbs are reattached, and the individuals pops right back up and rumbles back out into the field to keep on D20ing the next night. Stories where undead players coming back needing new parts, or coming back in parts and needing to put together. And then there are stories where the injured just suffers what is a basic gunshot (gunsh*ts!) and has bedridden for a week.

So whatever fits their boat and whatever the narrative of the day demands, as long as they have a good experience RP wise? I won’t call it ‘cheapen’.

8 Likes

I Role-Play a healer and when the opportunity arises, I do what I can to give my Priest’s patients a good healing experience. Whether she is just giving someone a healing potion or doing a full critical care heal on someone with stab wounds. I leave it up to the patient RPer’s discretion.

1 Like

This definitely is not a new issue. Personally I’m in the camp of healing helps the body’s natural healing. But players wanting to instantly resolve problems will forever be an issue, not exactly a healing example but once I was playing a poor human (some 10 years ago). She’d talk about how she was saving up to buy a weapon and become an adventurer. And complete strangers would start half-heartedly roleplaying and then trying to throw in-game gold at me to ‘solve my problem’ I don’t have a problem I want to roleplay a poor human. It’s the same with injuries, everyone wants to save the day. It’s not a good temperament for healer roleplayers to have.

I have been looking for a few new limbs. You wouldn’t happen to need that left foot of yours, would you?

3 Likes