RP related jobs

hi all im very new to this rp world, (only reason why im trying it, is because i love to watch GTAV rp on twitch). and i was wondering if wow rp had “jobs” to rp. i saw that people were “bartenders” so im sure its a thing. what else do people like to rp for gold…other then erp…

1 Like

erp mention!! reset the clock!!

hello new dwarf

the neat thing about any type of rp is that you can make your character have any job you want them to have, within the confines of the lore you’re following. or, sometimes, even not. who knows? who cares. if it works, neat. welcome to world of warcraft rp, where we’re perpetually in the middle ages, but also not, because there’s trebuchets that can fire across an ocean but also giant spaceships and robot people but talking bipedal bears and goats and ye olde blacksmithing alongside lore figures that shout “enough” and teleport away in lieu of any exciting plot developments ANYWAY

• yes, there are bartenders. most tend to frequent (alliance-side, anyway) the blue recluse, or, if they’re feeling extra triggerhappy, they can claim to be a bartender at the slaughtered lamb (that’s generally seen as the popular ‘bad part of town’ bar), as they are the most populated. the dwarf-side of stormwind is usually seen as the ne’er-do-well area, run by crime guilds. bartender characters do not last long because they are typically newer rpers or characters that have not been fleshed out yet, and quickly develop past (as a character, or, by the player’s own bored decisions) not standing in one place for hours at a time waiting to interact with anyone who wanders inside.
  • horde-side bartenders typically like to occupy the wyvern’s tail in orgrimmar, claiming to work for gravy. poor, poor gravy. goblins keep sitting on his bar and strangers wander around breaking stuff. very rude.
  • i’ve seen a gilnean tailor wandering around, offering in-character services to facilitate people getting fancy cosmetic armor upgrades through transmog.
  • there are also farmers; some who have lost their lands to war, others who thrive in rich continents like pandaria or boralus.
  • in that vein i’ve also seen a beekeeper at the weekly market. it was neat.
  • there’s always a market for guards. find a guard guild and apply as a recruit, then work your way up the rankings protecting the city.
  • traveling merchants selling pretty much an open-ended variety of goods are very popular, especially if you have a market for what you’re selling.
  • armorers and blacksmiths can lend to a great story for your character, especially if you stay a dwarf.
  • bards and buskers can be both an ic class and a way to make IC money. fight with screaming, make money with screaming. win-win, really.
  • brewers are huge, again, especially if you decide to play a dwarf, or even a pandaren. it’s kinda their thing here, as i’m sure you’ve seen the quests for them, being 115.
  • there’s also just flat-out hired muscle. there’s always someone out looking to hire people to punch other people in the face for them. some lawful, some unlawful. who knows.
  • apothecaries (alchemists) can make potions of almost any kind.
  • herbalists can sell collected herbs to those apothecaries, or become naturalistic healers with them.
  • traveling chaplains are a thing. be a nomad priest. spread the word of the light, or the void, or whatever. get paid in tithes. make bank, ye faithful.
  • messengers, or couriers. overlooked, but important, unless people want to just magic away receiving messages or trusted packages.
  • a butler. i’ve seen a couple unemployed butlers walking around, too. i hope they find jobs, they’ve got spiffy rp profiles.

i’m sure i’ve forgotten a ton but yes. jobs on jobs. people will use jobs to facilitate all kinds of roleplay with partners or guilds or groups or the server; it’s usually a key factor in your character’s existence.

there’s also a ridiculous amount of inspiration you can glean from the in-game professions. maybe your guy’s a tinkerer and sells toys, or spare parts, or builds weaponry for sale. maybe they’re a gemcutter or jewelry setter on the side who makes bank off of selling to royalty. who knows.

the elephant in the room, having said all of that, is whether or not you’re after actual in-game gold and not just an rp profession to play with. if you want to make money with rp, that’s… significantly harder. you’ll likely want to take the route that people like myself and other entertainer guilds do, and put on shows or perform for people to, sometimes, but not always, obviously never required, give you game currency tips. no lie there, it’s very validating to have your work rewarded, but do not count on it. rp for the fun of it, not to make gold.

here's where the post goes south despite my undying love for mg

however. alert. siren. i will also give you a very very blatant warning right out that wow rp is, in my experience, not like gtav rp. this world is pretty in-depth for as long as it’s existed (lore-wise. we’re pretty far along both in-game and out of it, having, what, 15 years of story now?), especially for those following along with the story on rp realms, and a lot of people in wow rp are - how to phrase this delicately - typically concerned with the health of their characters due to a sunk cost they’ve put into them as virtual extensions of themselves. this is a pretty serious hobby for some players. people spend beaucoup bucks on beautiful art collections of their characters, they stay logged in for hours at a time to interact with others on the server, they establish relationships and animosity and attend guild campaigns, they go to hours-long events with elaborate roll20 combat systems and generally, if you armchair psychiatrist it, can be seen as a public extension of the rper’s own behavior or innermost person made digitally manifest. if you subscribe to the idea that people rp out what they want to be in real life. like me. i play a dead elf because i’m dead inside. ha ha ha. also my art gallery is way too big, send help

regardless, this isn’t to scare you off. warcraft rpers are likely to reciprocate kindly to attention but can also come off as pretty closed off most of the time. once or if you get an rp addon you might see the dreaded

‘walkups welcome!!!’

(i.e., inviting you to come up with a reason in character to go interact with them) in their status boxes, but they never really instigate things themselves while standing around in cities. it’s an often-discussed conundrum here. don’t be put off if you try to interact with people at first as your rp character and are kinda cold-shouldered; people may be socially awkward, put off by a lack of filled roleplay add-on, or have a hard time finding reasons to bring you into their personal story (again, armchair psychiatry, they are primarily concerned with the image of their character and who they interact with as it reflects on them personally; it’s nothing against you, they just have An Image that they’ve cultivated that they need to protect). you might want to join a community-owned server discord like the moon guard server discord and find some meetup buddies who can get you into the kiddie pool, as it were.

anyway yeah. dwarf. brewer. guard. blacksmith. it’ll be rad. welcome welcome. go download total RP 3 and stick it in your add-ons folder.

* edit: transposed a sentence mid-edit!! fixed.

4 Likes

I find this tends to actually mean “walkups of my preferred gender welcome”.

At this point in the game’s age I think it’s safe to assume that unless it’s explicitly stated that they DON’T want walk-ups, if they’re standing around in the city, they’re fair game.

1 Like

Barristers. Don’t forget the barristers!

I’m independently wealthy, so I know nothing of these “jobs” of which you speak of, poor person.

1 Like

A merchant perhaps, I know there is a weekly market.

I have an outlaw rogue rat-hunter, on another realm, who wanders the streets of Old Town in Stormwind shooting and bagging rats. He’s paid a silver per rat by an NPC at the docks, sub-contracting for the sanitation department. Since I most often play mornings, when the bell chimes noon, he takes his lunchbox into the Pig & Whistle, sits at the table beneath the stairs and eats lunch.

He gets tons of player interaction.

Engineer reporting in!

RPing a job and playing a character that is more mundane can certainly be interesting, but you’ll have to live with the limitations that that brings as well. The Blue Recluse in Stormwind is one of the most popular RP spots, so I’m sure you could go there and do some type of bartender RP.

I took a five year break and starting from scratch besides some old heirlooms. I’ve been RPing a pick pocket in storm wind. It’s got me some really funny interactions. Also if the RP goes my way and I get the coins most the time (biggest I got was 300 gold from a very kind dwarf) So far everyone has showed me some love and support. If you want to go this route, expect to not come out on top most of the time as you are stealing from other players lol. I always ask permission before I go into peoples pockets. Sometimes I will ask if they have a coin purse or something on then RP and eventually pull off a trick to get into their goods. HMU if you wanna RP us meeting and maybe we can pull off bigger heist together could always use another hand.

1 Like

that actual sounds cool, best way to hit you up?