RP-PVP solution

When the servers are announced, if there is no RP-PVP server, the people and guilds across reddit, discord, and the official forums need to agree on a server to use as a makeshift PvP server, and all of them roll on it.

One of two things will happen.

1. The server will have many times the normal population, making it hard for Blizzard to ignore the need for an RP server, while not impacting players due to layering (since a server with a population that high would be massively overpopulated once layering went away)

-or-

1. The server population won’t be huge, it will turn out that Blizzard was right (unlikely, but possible), and at least you’ll all be in the same place to roleplay with each other.

Personally I think they need to have an RP-PVP server that loses the RP tag if its too PVP and not enough RP. At least start that way.

1 Like

Since it is in everyone’s interest for Blizzard to estimate Classic demand as accurately as possible. Perhaps later in beta, they can open up a RP and PVP-RP server and let more people into beta. See how the population breaks down and use that it improve server planning.

The general idea is we’ll pick a PVP server, and go from there and advertise it as the unofficial RP-PVP server.

It’s odd if nothing else that they just make a RP-PVP server and IF big IF the server pop is low or bad etc. They can just make it a normal PVP server and send new folk there. Odd they didn’t say or think of that, I mean it’s obvious THEY can do that if they choose to with the current tech. Anyway, if you haven’t go check out our Mega post here and Feed the Machine

3 Likes

Pintero,

I absolutely agree. One of my mains was on ED. I believe it still has a large population and was always highly populated. Not sure how war mode impacted it but I would imagine its not popular with that group of players.

One ED server is needed. Its a no brainer. Otherwise I am rolling on an RP server. I don’t RP beyond a simple acknowledgement but having RPers around makes the game so much more immersive for me and I am always respectful of those that are.

I joined a Guilnass RP raid group for the first time. I wanted to see if I would be interested in joining 1 at launch. I joined and was ordered to guard a door. It then basically devolved into some messed up version of speed dating. People were asking me if I was into furries and they was some very sexually based things going on. Wasn’t what I expected at all is this what RP servers are all about?

I actually think Blizz not creating an RP-PvP server might make for a tighter, longer lasting rp-pvp community. Choosing a specific PVP realm (instead of a strict rp-pvp realm) has a number of benefits.

The server will continue on with or without RP. It will not die if RPers quit. RP guilds will be able to recruit pvp players for strictly pvp-related things always. It’s a win-win for everyone. This pvp realm will have a distinct culture different than all other pvp realms and it will draw people, just like Moon Guard, for example, does.

I see your point however those not aware of the unofficial server and looking for pvp but a bit more may never find out about this server. Or long after they’ve leveled.

If they are not having an RPpvp server, why an RPpve server? This tells me they will only have a few servers initially and rely on layering through phase I. Afterwards, they crunch the financials to see if more servers are warranted and if so, you get the official RPpvp server but without transfers. So you re-roll there.

Its a business.

lol you guys are asking for a ton of griefing, the more you guys try to organize i guarantee a bunch of PVPers are also organizing against that idea.

Emerald Dreamer here. If we don’t get an rp-pvp server, I am fully in support of this. What’s crazy is that ED is full ??? As are many of the other RP servers. Ion is a theorycrafter, so I would hope he would respect that he doesn’t understand RPers and give us our server and leave us alone just as we leave the theorycrafting 1% raiders alone who seem to be setting the game direction.

I would never raid as RP. Different mindset. And if you RP in wpvp or bg, I will kill you as will others. So that scenario might work at the Goldshire Inn but on old ED, someone is eventually going to wreck you and your furry fun friends.

Lok’tar Ogar!

Griefers will get griefed. It will be difficult outside of towns to know if someone is RPing generally. But if a goon squad evolves as I have seen on ED years ago, both factions will come together to make that group’s life unbearable. The community polices itself.

I think this is something the vast majority of people who don’t roll RP realms don’t understand. By and large, most people don’t RP in the mechanical aspects of the game (though there are exceptions). We don’t RP in BGs or raids or world quests or the like.

In fact, most people who roll RP realms don’t even RP at all. RP realms are more about community, not actual RP, which is why I think an rp-pvp community can easily flourish on a normal pvp realm.

1 Like

Uh, you know i played on Kiljaden in iys hayday, you think anything these modern guys can do is bad psh. Theyll probaly kill you four times and get bored back in my day people gankee you for days in Vanilla DAYS entire guilds orginzed it, infact once, my warrior human was in rachet, a 50 something tauren hunter kept killing me outside of it i was level 24, so after 45 mins i logged out, played halo 2 / psofor a few hours. Logged back into wow HE was still there.

People these days always complain how oh i dont have time for this or that. But people like me who grew up with the real victous pvp that was on vanilla warsong kj etc know how bad it is, and these folk aint nothing

Why would any roleplayer play on a PvP realm over an RP realm? Give me a break! It’s either RP-PvP or RP-PvE… that’s it.

It’s not in everyone’s best interest.

It’s in the players’ best interest to accurately estimate server needs.

It is in the best interests of Activision and its shareholders that they launch with as few servers as possible.

If they launch with only a few servers, massive crowds make it look like a success regardless of how successful it is.

If they launch with a few servers, they minimize the chances of needing server mergers. Activision/Blizzard hate server mergers because they imply a dying game.

If they launch with as few servers as possible they get to launch new servers when Phase2 is about to hit and layering has to go away. Rather than being evidence of their poor planning, they will spin it as evidence that Classic is vastly more popular than they could have possibly imagined.

Layering means they could launch with as few as 8 servers (NA-PVE/PVP/RPPVE, EU-PVE/PVP/RPPVE, and OC-PVE/PVP ) and players won’t be able to tell the difference between a server with 6000 people vs a server with 600,000 except that they’ll never see the same person twice, like retail.