[RP Plot] The Founders: Chapter 1

(( A brief recap! Last month we had a thunder clap heard around much of Azeroth by many of our characters, and some of them encountered other strange happenings, too. We’ve only touched the surface with the following questions: Who is the strange void elf that’s been seen around Boralus, and what is he after? What is the truth behind the mysterious dig site in Stormsong, and why is it being invaded by disgusting worms? What is the purpose of the strange spheroid artifacts of unknown origin being unearthed across Azeroth? And what WAS that loud clap of thunder?

Let us begin this tale in earnest!

As with before, feel free to add your own vignette to this thread, if you’re interested. What were your characters doing when the second thunder clap hit? How did they react to the mysterious whisper that preceeded the noise?

I will start using these (and the previous entries) as the list of characters to include starting with Chapter 1. Be on the lookout for in-game activity, and feel free to use these events as a catalyst to start up related RP as well! If you have an RP mod like TRP3, place something like “LFRP: The Founders” somewhere in the OOC field, and be on the lookout for folks with similar. That way we can recognize each other!))

The second thunder clap came nearly a month later. Like the first, there were those who thought it nothing more than weather. The climate was changing, and with the change in temperature came the storms. At least, that’s what many of us assumed. We didn’t quite know then what we do now.

This time, the noise did not come with visions. No, instead it came with whispers. More specifically, it came with a whisper.

“So far from home. So isolated and alone. Let the messengers come to bring you back.” The voice was almost pleading. Almost sorrowful.

I would have thought it one of my companions toying with me, speaking through my whisper-stone, but the trinket remained in my pouch; its rune still dark and no trace of magic having recently flowed through it. I glanced around the library, searching to see if anyone else was nearby, but soon realized that I was alone. Even the balconies, left open to cool the warm interior of the tower library, were vacant.

I was alone.

That’s when the thunder exploded outside, rattling the wooden shelves and toppling a few stacks of precariously placed books. I am not ashamed to admit that I cried out. It sounded…closer? Closer than it had last time.

The silence that followed the thunder was deeper than any other silence I have experienced. It was the type of silence that accompanies that sensation of being homesick–that sensation of sorrowful nostalgia at what has been lost, and what is currently missing. In that emptiness, I almost hoped for another whisper. I hoped for something– anything –to indicate that I was not the only being on Azeroth at that very moment.

Nothing came.

I was alone.

–Excerpt from “The Founders’ War”, author unknown

4 Likes

The draenei moves her warframe through the city of Boralus. The robotic machine’s bulk prevents it from passing between some of the tightly clustered buildings, but she makes her way by the wider streets. Citizens, innocent and otherwise, step aside to allow her passage, not wanting to get crushed under the thing’s gilded legs. Some of the people look upon her with awe and wonder, others with anger and suspicion. She ignores their looks. She has learned that the mere presence of a lightforged and one of their warframes is often enough to quell some of the more rough-and-tumble behavior of the city, and that is fine with her.

The communication crystals on the machine’s primary console flicker, as if receiving an incoming signal. She brushes her fingers over the shimmering studs, allowing the Light from her very essence to activate the device. As the channels open, only the harsh sound of static is heard–the sound of nothingness. She frowns.

A tiny spliss makes her look up. A small, purple-silvery worm has landed on the front of her warframe’s viewport. It wriggles frantically as the energy starts to boil the critter, leaving a sizzling mess of dark fluid against the Light-field that serves to protect the machine’s interior. The draenei paladin frowns deeper, a look of disgust forming on her face.

A voice suddenly crackles through the static of the warframe’s communication system. “So far from home. So isolated and alone. Let the messengers come to bring you back.”

The paladin turns her attention back to the warframe’s console. She manipulates the crystals again, trying to pinpoint the origin of the voice. However, the readings indicate that the channels are clear, and have been the entire time…

Another spliss. Then another. Then two more. Then three. Suddenly, the draenei realizes that the tiny worms are raining down upon her warframe in a deluge of purple-silver flesh. The sound of cooking meat grows to a roar, defeaning inside the tiny confines of the machine.

A crack of thunder explodes overhead, and the Lightforged Warframe shatters into countless shards of crystallized Light. The paladin lands easily on her hooves, having had plenty of experience dismounting from the robotic conveyance after an emergency integrity breakdown. As she crouches to the ground, she instinctively calls her hammer and shield to her side, the weapons forming from the crystal shards still suspended in the air around her. As they manifest in her hands, she raises them up to protect from the inevitable mass of wriggling flesh that was about to collapse upon her as it had been upon her warframe.

Only… it never came.

Opening her golden eyes after a few breaths, the draenei looks up to the overcast afternoon sky. Around her, the citizens of Boralus move about their daily business, with the ones closest to her having backed away in surprise. They all stare at her in fear and confusion.

There is no trace of the worms.

7 Likes

The younger man nods his head with reluctance, accepting the pages from the older man in front of him. “You’re sure you wish to do this? You know what’ll be required of you.”

“I know better than you, son,” the elder responds. His greying hair exists in little more than a thin stubble around the sides of his bald head, a sign that he needs to shave again. “I’m aware of the responsibilities. You know I am.”

The two of them sit in a wooden room atop a small two-story structure. The salty sea air permeates everything around them, and the sound of waves can be heard through the walls. Papers and books are stacked atop a wooden table at which they are both seated, some neat, some loose. It has the look of a makeshift office.

“Yeah, I do, but…” the other man sighs, then nods again. He pauses for a few breaths, seeking the words. “Do you wish to return to command?”

“I wouldn’t scoff at a few soldiers to bark at.” The elder winks at his son.

Ignoring the choice of his father’s words, the younger man asks, “Over the whole organization, or–?”

The elder laughs, a harsh sound, but under-pinned with amusement. “Hell no. That’s your responsibility, now, and you’ve been doing a fine job of it. Just give me a few pawns and I’ll whip 'em into shape.”

The younger man’s shoulders soften, and a grin forms on his face. “I’ll see what I can do.”

The elder smiles as well, a rare expression of warmth on his typically hard features. “I’ve been pushing papers too long. It’ll be nice to get back out there. Especially doing something like this. Something…different.”

“It’ll be good to have you back, father.”

The two men stand and embrace for a brief moment before separating quickly. They both straighten their uniforms, pulling coats and cuffs back into position and clearing their throats as if nothing actually happened.

“Yes, well…”

“…of course. Duty calls, right?” The elder snaps to attention and offers a crisp salute to the younger.

The younger man nods again, returning the gesture. “Right. That’s… that’s gonna take some getting used to. I’m not used to having you salute me,” he said after relaxing.

“You’re telling me?” The elder laughs. “Come, let’s–”

“So far from home. So isolated and alone. Let the messengers come to bring you back.”

“–what the hell was that?”

“You heard it, too, then?” The younger asks his father.

The elder nods, and both men jump as a sudden crack of thunder erupts from the skies outside the building.

“Well,” the younger man starts, frowning. “It looks like you’ve returned to duty at just the right time.”

The elder clenches his jaw and frowns as well. “Yeah. It looks like. Bring me the rosters. I’ll begin selecting my team.”

3 Likes

Wintflink couldn’t hold back a giggle at how quickly Gobmat grabbed the piece of breakfast roll she’d handed to him.

“Don’t eat so fast!” she said, shaking her head. “Do you want some coffee to wash it down?”

She handed the flask she’d been drinking from to the imp next to her and watched as he took a few swallows. When he handed it back to her, he held his hand out even after she’d taken the flask back. Wint shook her head again and tore half of the roll away to give to him.

“I don’t know where you put it all sometimes,” she said with a grin.

Gobmat chittered at her with his mouth full, spraying crumbs everywhere. She laughed for real this time, and couldn’t help but glance around at the lovely day. The mission she’d been sent on seemed odd, but she’d forgotten about it for a moment as she and her friend walked through a rolling field in Stormsong Valley, the morning sun shining down on them and a slight breeze ruffling the edges of the tall grass and bringing a fresh salty scent. Even though she couldn’t see the sea from here, it seemed there was no escaping reminders of it in Kul Tiras.

As they cleared the next rise, Wint’s humor seemed to fall away as she spotted the digsite below and stowed away all the food in her bag. She saw no one working, and she noted the site seemed new, with only several yards of overturned ground to be seen.

Taking a few steps closer, however, Wintflink frowned. “Gobmat, what’s that?” she asked, pointing to a dark mass on the dug out ground below them. As she and her friend leaned forward for a better look, a whispered voice sounded out.

So far from home.”

The moment it began, Wintflink could feel her feet slip on the grass. She gasped, throwing out her free arm to grab for purchase, but there was nothing there. The whispers continued as she slid down the hill, careening for the dark mass below, which she could now see was a bunch of purple-silver worms.

“No!” she yelled out as she fell, but somehow still heard the remainder of the whispers.

So isolated and alone. Let the messengers come to bring you back.”

Gobmat screamed out and began leaping down the hill in the direction Wintflink had slid, but all he could see in the pile of worms was the top of Wint’s staff. A moment later, however, a fiery light began underneath the worms, and most of them exploded into flames in a large circle around the staff. A crack of thunder deafened Gobmat and Wintflink momentarily as her second spell hit and a rain of fireballs began. Wintflink stood in the middle of them as if under a warm rain shower, her eyes closed and one hand held up. Gobmat stood by her side again once she opened them.

“I’m guessing you heard those whispers, too?” she asked Gobmat, who gave her a nervous glance, then shook his head once.

“Well, I am far from home, but if they think they’re going to isolate or separate the two of us, they’ve got another thing coming. Let’s see if we can find any pieces of these worms left and report back to Boralus. They’re going to want to hear about this, and I don’t see anyone here to talk to anyway.”

She looked at Gobmat, who returned her gaze and nodded, stepping close to her as they began their search. Wintflink smiled at him and put a hand on his shoulder before scanning the ground below them in earnest.

2 Likes

(posted on wrong character, please disregard. this’ll teach me to check the icon before hitting post.)

(( let’s try this again, shall we? ))

For the first time in weeks, Tereshka enjoyed the luxury of sitting on a real bed in an inn billet, warm and dry with mail to read. Her mother’s neatly looping handwriting marked a lumpy, battered envelope that gave off the faint aroma of the dried Nagrand sweetgrasses Mother tucked into all of her knitting. Rushed, blocky script surrounded by a crayon landscape meant the Davies household had found time to write… news from the resettling in Stormwind joined by the children’s demands for piggyback rides from Auntie Resh. Brief messages from friends in the field, scattered across both Kul Tiras and Zandalar, offered carefully uninformative accounts of the day-to-day execution of the war.

And then, unique for its absolute lack of identification, there was a single folded page. There was no seal to hold the paper closed, no stamps or postmarks to provide a clue to its origin. Curious, Tereshka unfolded the page, watching in puzzlement as a shimmering greyish-purple shape fell out of the folds to land on the floor at her feet. When the thing started to slither toward her hooves, she slid off the bed and lashed out reflexively to give it a quick, hard stomp. A thin sheen of slime spread out from beneath her foot, shining in the flickering lamplight.

Outside, a sharp clap of thunder split the evening quiet. Like the page in her hands, the thunder was unheralded and untraceable. A mystery.

Tereshka deeply disliked mysteries.

Looking down at the piece of paper, she saw a single line, written in a hand she could not place, underscored by the purple creature’s glistening slug-like trail. “First comes the thunder, upon the far horizon, then come the whispers, to call your soul home…” A moment later, a soft, sourceless voice added, So far from home. So isolated and alone. Let the messengers come to bring you back.

“They can bloody well try,” Tereshka muttered. She opened her footlocker, drawing out her sword and shield. Taking comfort in the solid presence of her weapons, she closed the locker and sat perched on its edge to watch both the window and the door to her room. “Let’s just see you try.”

1 Like

The night elf demon hunter sits in silence upon the edge of the cliff, his fists resting against his thighs and his feet beneath him. The wet spray from the nearby waterfall casts a fine mist into the air, cooling the normally hot jungle. He breathes in and out in a rhythmic pattern, pulling in the scents of the trees around him.

“Meditation is not unfamiliar to me, demon hunter,” the old orc blademaster says. He, too, is kneeling on the same large stone. A large, curved sword rests in front of him. He wears little armor, having stripped his chest bare in the Zandalari heat, and, like the demon hunter next to him, he wears a blindfold wrapped tightly around his two ruined eye sockets. Unlike the demon hunter, however, he seems far less accustomed to it. “I doubt that this will help m–”

“If it is familiar to you, blademaster, then you already know that silence is important, indeed?” The demon hunter does not turn to face his companion on the stone. He keeps his face forward, towards the cascade of falling water.

The orc grunts, half in irritation and half in embarrassment. He does not respond in any other way.

After nearly an hour, the demon hunter stands and turns to the other. The blademaster, hearing the movement, stands and turns towards the night elf in return.

“You have me at a disadvantage, if your intent is to spar with me,” the orc says, a measure of amusement in his voice. “You have been blinded for thousands of years. I am unsure I have yet achieved thousands of hours. And yours was voluntary.”

“Indeed,” the demon hunter replies. “And, I can still see.”

The orc grunts again. “And that, yes.”

“I trained in blindfighting for many months before gaining the felsight, blademaster,” the demon hunter explains. “I have taught many others to do the same, and I will do so with you. Demonic power can be taken away, and my vision can be suppressed. Understanding how to see without seeing is integral to the path I have chosen to walk. The injury you now face can be overcome, if you are ready.”

The orc’s brow furrows as he considers, then he bows at the waist. He crouches and feels for his blade, grabbing it by the handle and hefting it with the ease of familiarity. The blademaster then lowers his stance, his feet a little uncertain in the darkness of the blind, but his grip is as iron upon his weapon. “Very well, then. Let us begin.”

“So far from home. So isolated and alone. Let the messengers come to bring you back.” A small, purple-silvery worm-like creature falls from the sky, landing with a splat onto the wet stone before sliding off and into the water below.

The demon hunter’s face immediately turns upwards as the blademaster’s lips curl into a deep frown. The orc growls, “Is this some sort of trick, an attempt to disorient me?”

“No,” the night elf replies. “No trick. This is–”

An explosion of thunder cracks overhead, shaking the trees and causing flocks of birds and bats to scatter into the winds, each one screeching its displeasure. The sound is deafening in the wilderness, and is accompanied by a physical impact felt deep within one’s chest–in one’s soul.

The demon hunter braces his footing against the force, but the blademaster, unused to living without sight, slips on the wet stone and begins to tumble. His large form careens over the edge, a look of disoriented horror crossing the old orc’s face.

The night elf’s arm snaps outward, reaching for the blademaster’s free hand as the orc’s green form falls off the edge…

1 Like

Rain drips steadily from the wide canopy of the large tree Veldrinas is taking shelter under in Stormsong Valley. The demon hunter’s forearms are resting on his knees and he is staring at nothing, an expression of shock on his face. Clasped in his hands is a crinkled parchment, written in common. On it is a list of names, Alliance prisoners taken by the Horde who had been taken to Dazar’alor and were to be interrogated and summarily executed. It was even signed by Sylvanas herself. The night elf did not recognize the names on the list and thought nothing of it until a familiar name jumped out at him near the end of the list: Fendassa Stormwing, his sister.

It had been years since he had spoken to her, much less even seen her, but he still cared for her deeply. It did not matter that they had been worst for many years, it did not matter all the bad blood between them, Veldrinas would find a way to rescue her from the Hord, no matter if she was guarded by the warchief herself, he would find a way.

The demon hunter stands up, folds the parchment and puts it in his leather jerkin where it would be safe, and as he makes to leave towards Boralus when suddenly a massive earth-shattering thunderclap is heard and felt by the demon hunter who falls to his knees with the impact. The strange thing about it was though, there was no lightning to accompany it.

When the echoes of the thunderclap finally die away, Veldrinas returns to his feet, wary.
“Two similar thunderclaps within the last month cannot be a coincidence.” He begins as he brushes off the dirt from his trousers.
“Perhaps it should warrant further investigation in the future, but I have more pressing matters to attend to. It probably isn’t that important anyway.”

As the hunter makes his way towards Boralus in the rain, a strange purple worm slithers it’s way halfway up the trunk of the tree whose canopy Veldrinas just vacated. It turns its head and after watching the demon hunter fade into the distance, it begins to slither back down the tree trunk and to follow the night elf.

3 Likes

The bright sun shone in a cloud-dotted blue sky, peaceful and warm and gentle on the soft, smooth sand of the beach. The surf, quiet in the small inlet shielded from the harder parts of the wide ocean beyond, whispered as it shushed out and in, out and in, caressing the land like a tender parent might a sleeping child. Beyond the thin strip of sand, the Pandaren island rose steeply in a silver cliff and then a grass-covered verge that gave way to a short, sharp, brief little palm-fronded and dappled rainforest. Seagulls called overhead, and occasionally crabs clicked further down along the beach, chattering in the language of claws and chitin.

Settled on their pair of borrowed blankets, two creatures who were once kal’dorei lounged in the idyllic setting, protected from the sand and basking in the sun. In their scant bathing clothes, their tattoos and scars were on display… but neither the crabs nor the seagulls seemed to care.

Rhianys Fel-Lash lifted both arms straight up to the sky, laying on his back. His ruined eyes, covered in black felstalker leather for modesty, were aimed up toward the clouds as if he could almost see them in backdrop to his fel-tainted, splayed fingers. He yawned softly and flicked his attention to the figure beside him without moving a single muscle.

“How’s the book, my love?”

His mate mumbled in answer, her soothing voice a gentle caress to his long ears, “Oh, very… ah… thought-provoking. Have you found a cloud that looks like a wyvern, yet, darling?”

He had to chuckle at that, his dark lips twisting up wryly. “At least three. And there’s a diorama of the Battle of Crestfall in perfect cumulonimbus detail over that way.”

Lash waved a hand in a vaguely lefterly direction, and his lady giggled at his whimsy. “Oh, Rhian. You are so ridiculous.”

The demon hunter grinned, pleased with himself, and the pair lapsed back into silence for a while under the beauty of the day. The surf whispered. In and out, in and out.

Some short while later, Temirra Heartsguard shifted and rolled over onto her stomach, tugging her demonblood-writ novel with her as she moved. She sighed softly and turned the page back, rereading for about the third time.

“Mirra?” Her partner questioned almost immediately, as if he jumped at the motion.

“Just getting comfortable,” she answered softly, rolling her shoulders before she settled in on her elbows, sightless eyes toward the paper of her book.

“Mm…” It was his only response, and silence lapsed again as the surf whispered. In and out, in and out.

Five minutes later, Rhian suddenly shoved himself to sitting, crossing his legs and facing out over the water. Mirra made a little face and snapped her book shut, doing the same. They didn’t bother to actually turn their faces toward each other; they didn’t need to.

“Bored?” Mirra asked.

“Yeah,” her mate answered with a wince. “You?”

She sighed and ran her fingers over the cover of the novel. “I don’t remember reading being quite so dull ten centuries ago when I tried it last.”

The black-haired demon hunter beside her smirked and squirmed over to her side, wrapping his arm around her. “And I don’t remember vacations being quite so… quiet ten centuries ago.”

Temirra giggled and leaned her head on his shoulder, her long, pale-teal braid tumbling down his arm at the motion. “I suppose maybe one or two things have changed in the past handful of decades.”

As she said it, she poked a finger first at her own chest and then at his, conveniently leaving it resting against his felfire-hot skin. Her teasing grin was quiet but answered just as fully by his own.

“So we’re agreed?”

Mirra nodded and released him, standing and stretching, her great, dark wings unfurling behind her. “We’re agreed. We’re officially too old for vacations.”

That earned a deep-throated laugh from her mate as he followed suit, stretching his arms once more toward the sky for a very different reason. After he yawned and scratched at an itch behind his curving, demonic left horn, he grimaced a bit. “So… Sargeras is gone. The Legion is in tatters. We’re bored… what do w-”

So far from home. So isolated and alone. Let the messengers come to bring you back.

Thunder followed the words whispered straight into whatever corrupted things served for their souls, shaking the rainforest across from their little island and sending rocks skittering down the cliff at their back. Birds launched into the sky in screeching panic, and the crabs scuttled off into the water or burrowed deep into the sand. Suddenly even more alone on the secluded little beach and filled with a strange, foreign, untrustworthy longing, the two demon hunters turned their faces toward each other. Mirra frowned, but Lash just grinned, his white teeth flashing in the sun.

“Well. Second time’s the charm, my love. I don’t think that’s Elune calling our ruined souls home, and that probably means that someone or something needs fighting.”

He held out his scarred hand toward his mate, and she giggled as she wrapped her fingers around his. “Rhian. Try not to sound quite so gleeful about yet another threat to the planet. It’s uncouth!”

The unrepentant old demon hunter just smirked and pulled her knuckles to his lips. “I can only promise to try, my love. Boredom brings out the evil glee in me. Now, where should we go to find the appropriate amount of trouble?”

Temirra Heartsguard considered that for a moment, tapping her chin with one long, slender finger. He waited patiently for her, his love being one of the only things in the world that he found worth his patience. Finally, at length, she smiled gently and focused her attention back on the demon hunter before her.

“What would you say to finding an old friend, Rhian? You know he’s always at the heart of a big, world-ending trouble when you need one. Probably frowning. Most certainly looking dour-faced.”

Rhianys stilled for a few thoughts before he made the connection, and then his own grin mirrored hers, only brighter and wider. “Tharion?” He chuckled and rubbed his hands together, looking mischievous. “Oh. Oh, I do like that, my love. I haven’t annoyed him for a good century. Is it close to two?”

She laughed and kissed his cheek. “Not quite two, darling. We’re agreed, then. To Forest Song?”

“To Forest Song.”

2 Likes

“No, no. It’s fine, Rhoelyn. I just appreciate you and Sarren being there to watch them. Just knowing you’re there puts my mind at ease.” There was soft rustling from the other side of the white stone, its blue swirl pulsing with magic, as the huntress moved.

“They are healthy and happy, and we would protect them from any threat with everything we are.” Rhoelyn paused before she gently added, “But I understand your fear. I share it when you both are out in the field, even though I know well how strong you are together.”

“It’s understandable, but we’ll be careful. We don’t want to take risks that could keep us from our family. Speaking of which, Yami is growing up so fast. I suppose he’ll need to fight soon.”

Once the words reached her, Rhoelyn barely heard her sister’s forlorn sigh through the hearthstone, staring blankly at the half-sliced apple on the cupboard in front of her and clasping her hands together in white-knuckled tension. Her heart pounded in her throat at the very idea of her sweet nephew fighting for his life, his innocent face filled with the rage-sick terror she’d seen on so many others at the battle for Darnassus, his hands and armor splattered in blood.

The priestess shuddered until a pair of young, strong arms wrapped around her from behind, startling her out of her mad reverie. Her nephew’s kiss on her cheek was full of his love and warmed away some of the icy fear.

“Oh!” Rhoelyn gave Yami a tremulous smile, taking a moment away from the conversation to return his embrace. “I thought you were rushing off, darling boy.”

Yami nodded and gave her a little squeeze. “Yeah. An’nui needs me, but I didn’t want to go without a hug.”

His aunt’s expression warmed, and she kissed his cheek in return. “Dear Yami… Will you say hello to your mother before you leave, then?”

Her gesture toward the pulsing hearthstone was brief but graceful.

Min’da! Hi and bye and I love you!” The young man’s black eyes crinkled at the corners as he waved at the device. And then he chuckled at himself for the silly habit.

“I love you, too, my darling boy. Make sure you behave and help an’nui. I’ll be home soon, and I’ll tell you all about our travels.” The young woman’s voice took on the sweet tone it always did with him. Her love overwhelmed the feeling of fear for now.

Yami nodded, again - not that she could see it. “Don’t worry, min’da. I’ll help take good care of everyone. I can’t wait for your stories!”

The muffled surge of a baby’s wail sounded from outside, and the young night elf winced. “I’d better go.”

Rhoelyn nodded and shooed him off, an imperious wave of her hand. “Have a nice walk, Yamiriel. I will have dinner ready when you all get back.”

Her words were practically offered to no one, and scant seconds after she finished came the click of the door from the other room.

The huntress through the hearthstone added, “Actually, I need to go anyway. Rhese just got here. Oh wait. Surfal, do you want to say hello to Rhoe before we go?”

“Of course,” came the deep chuckle, and the healer’s gaze softened just that much more to hear her beloved brother’s voice. There was a telltale pause and a small sound, and she could just imagine the druid’s quick kiss to his wife before he spoke again. “How is the home front, sis?”

“It is just how I like it at the moment: quiet save for the dearly missed voices on my hearth stone.” A rumble from her stomach prompted the silver-haired elf to finally claim back her dagger and continue slicing her apple. “Will you two be on your mission for much longer, Rhese?”

“A few more days, I think,” he answered gently, reading the hint of wistful longing in her tone. “We’ll be home before you know it. Listen, we need to move, Rhoe, but we’ll reach out to you tomorrow. Okay?”

“Of course, my brother. Be clever and careful and safe.”

“Always,” he answered, a cocky smile in his rumbling voice.

The hearthstone started to dim, but suddenly the priestess dropped her knife and slapped her hand onto the stone, shoving magic into the connection to keep it open while she blurted out, “When you hear it, make certain she isn’t still in the cavern!”

“Rh-”

The hearth went dead the moment Rhoelyn pulled her hand away, startled and blinking and utterly unsure why she said what she did. She peered at her trembling fingers, turning her palm over, mystified and suddenly terrified, convinced that her sister was in danger.

And then she heard a voice from somewhere, whispering soundlessly. So far from home. So isolated and alone. Let the messengers come to bring you back.

All the little priestess managed was a whimper before the fit hit her. No warning, this time. No slow build of pressure at the center of her chest. No dizzying tilt to the world as her perception started its shift. No chance to stave it off with medication or breathing exercises.

There was only the entreating, mournful words and then a crushing wall of golden, sizzling awareness that threw her head back and drew her taut like a bow, her back arching and her hands tensing into claws at her chest.

Suddenly, the power was everywhere. Light like fire and blinding sun. Light like everything living at once in her head. Light that surged outward from her heart and filled her with awareness. Too much awareness.

The past, present and future in nonsense flashes and nightmare possibilities, in wriggling, hungry horrors and screaming faces with bloodless holes chewed in them. Yawning pits in pockmarked ground. A fist poised to pound on what it should never touch. The horrors and mistakes of the past carving tracks toward doom. The warmth of Life and Light and Love being smothered by the cold of Death and Decay and Demise.

She filled with it, overflowed with it.

And she hurt with it. She couldn’t keep it. But she struggled to get rid of it. The power that burned her resisted her panicked attempt to form it into her most familiar spells, those of healing, burrowing instead deeper along her singing nerves and into her besieged awareness. Wriggling. Consuming.

Until a peal of thunder rang from outside, echoing into the small apartment and shaking dust from the rafters.

What followed was a perfectly blank moment. The night elf froze. It all froze. Infinite possibility, infinite awareness became… nothing. A nothing worse than the nightmares of what could come.

While the priestess fell like a puppet with its strings cut, Light burst from her in a blinding wave, flowing outward, guided by what she was. For six square blocks around their home, Kul’Tirans and visitors alike raised their heads in confusion. They suddenly felt… better. Energized. Headaches gone. Sniffles cured. Wounds healed. An inexplicable miracle.

And at its epicenter, Rhoelyn Silverwing lay collapsed on her kitchen floor, restlessly unconscious and shuddering until the magic finally stilled… and so did she.

Her long silver hair spilled around her crumbled form, as did her fallen dagger and cutting board and exactly as many fresh, whole apples as she’d once had slices.

1 Like

“Maybe ya didn’t hear me,” the man snapped, slapping his fists on the table and leaning his face closer to his target. “I asked whatya think yer doin’ in my tavern.”

Vasedra raised a brow at him, deigning to look up from her drink for the first time since the drunken Kul’Tiran had approached her table, her short, dark hair swinging back from her face to reveal its angled lines and the false blue light of her azure eyes. It also revealed the cold disdain within them, and the stranger shivered at a sudden, visceral chill, his breath frosting visibly.

“I thought dhat answer vas obvious enough,” she said calmly in her affected draeneic accent, taking a swig of her ale and enjoying the way his expression darkened as she made him wait. “Even somevun of your clearly leemited faculties can tell dhat I’m drinking. Or so I vished to believe. But you prove me wrong.”

Something in her thrilled at the growing rage in her assailant, the restless hunger that had been eating at her all day crawling up her spine to poise on her shoulder, grasping and eager. As a consequence, her cool look became a toothy smile. Too sweet. Too smug. A smile that didn’t reach her eyes.

“Mainlander b-”

“Outlander,” the ‘warrior’ corrected, interrupting his attempt to insult her.

“Wha?!” The human, probably some sort of dock worker by the size of his musclebound shoulders and bulging arms, reached for her blue and cream breastplate only to find his hand knocked away by a whip-quick slap.

“Outlander.” Sedra repeated, her smile dying and her eyes narrowing as she surged up and kicked her chair back with a skittering screech, forcing him to dodge back or end up taking a hard, gracefully arching horn to his stout chin. “**OUT**lander, you great, haulking vaste of fresh ayer. Do I look like I am Azerothian stock?”

She enjoyed it as the man gogged at the cheek of this stranger, this blue, tailed woman who, now that he saw her on her cloven hooves, was every inch as tall as he was. The ‘draenei’ didn’t actually care what he called her, and wasn’t even an Outlander in truth. But she also wasn’t a Mainlander in any sense of the word and was supposed to be practicing her role. Keeping a ‘low profile’. Perhaps the kind of profile that didn’t include picking fights in seedy taverns at the bottom of the seawall, true, but… he had started it. And she was… she needed something. Something that wasn’t sitting there, calmly drinking her mead and waiting for her contact.

Her attention fixed on the Kul’Tiran as his face reddened and his fists clenched, feeling that restless hunger claw and gnaw and demand, eager to see the point where he exploded into violence, into madness. It was fast approaching, and the ‘draenei’ suddenly yanked her plate gauntlets from her hands, tossing them away to clatter on her table. The urge was specific and consuming and simple: when she hit him, she needed to feel it on her flesh.

He’ll swing at me, first. The realization came with no small shiver of anticipation down the knight’s spine, the slow, languid thrum of Viskarri’s heart suddenly loud in her ears. Darkling things, shadows and phantoms, crowded the edges of her vision and whispered in her head, but she ignored them, instead staring at her opponent as he lifted one arm. He’ll swing at me, and… no, I won’t break his arm. It’ll be more fun to toss him around a bit.

So she did. He was slow, the stranger. Not particularly a challenge. When he roared a foul word and flung a meaty fist at her face, she grabbed his wrist in one hand and the front of his dirty, sweat-stained tunic in the other and let his own momentum swing him around until she lifted him from his feet and threw him into the next table, dumping him across the top and watching as the sturdy wood gave. The pair of sailors sitting there gasped and kicked back as their dinners and their drinks dumped all over themselves and him.

Yes. Sedra grinned, an excited, feral expression of lips pulling back from fangs. Her hands still felt the texture of his skin and the scratch of fabric, her powerful, lithe form still filled with the moment of strength, that hunger leaning in, pressing its claws over her heart as it lapped at the surge of adrenaline, the growing hubbub of grumbles and cries of alarm. She ran the fingers of one hand through her chin-length hair and over her horn, watching the table’s upset occupants surge to their feet with incensed shouts. But far from alarmed or contrite, the ‘draenei’ kicked her chair out of her way, conveniently hitting another nearby table, and faced the pair of them, her bare fists clenched.

“Y’apologize, an’ mebbe ya walk outta here in one piece, bluebonnet.” The man who growled it swiped stew from his tunic as he drew a wicked looking longknife from his tattered, leather boot.

His companion scoffed and glared at the ‘warrior’ in front of them, adding, “Y’apologize an’ ya buy us new dinners an’ drinks, he means.”

Behind them, the drunk dock worker was trying to extricate himself from the ruins of the table, and behind that a trio of what could only be Freeholders were scowling and shaking spilt beer from their hands as they kicked an errant chair out of the way.

The knight’s response was a chuckle, dismissive and eager, and a finger pointed at the man’s blade. “You might vant to put dhat avay,” she said casually, stepping away from her table with a careless swagger, her tail swinging despite the darkness behind her smile. “Things might get more serious dhan you can hehndle if you don’t.”

“Oh, izzat so?” came the skeptical response.

Sedra shrugged, her darkling grin never faltering. “Well, I suppose that depends on what you can do with it. You’ve been warned.” Letting her fake accent slip, she looked around, her false blue gaze dancing over to the trio of pirates coming around their table toward her. In all truth, it was annoying to try to play the role, the draenei warrior from the Outlands. No, that was so far from true that it was painful. Instead, she just emphasized in her own tones, “You’ve all been warned.”

“Yer a right cocky thing, bluebonnet.” The man with the longknife growled it out, pointing the blade toward her. “Em’ thinkin’ ya need a few scars on that pretty face t’take ya down a peg.”

“Feel free to try,” the eredar said, meaning even more than that. Meaning “I want you to try.”

The Kul’Tiran and his friend both obliged, one slashing with his knife while the other darted in at her, fists flying. Sedra caught the blade on her cream and bronze vambraces, shoving it away in the instant before she ducked a sucker punch aimed at her jaw. Her hand was steel as she grabbed that assailant’s arm, yanking him across her body with enhanced strength and forcing his knife-wielding friend to step back to avoid slashing his buddy.

With a little smirk, she spun the poor man around and shoved him into the trio of pirates trying to approach from her other side, sending them all careening into yet another table of ruffians. From there, the entire tavern burst into motion like it’d just been waiting for an excuse, and the real fun began.

Ary Valryss stood outside the open door of the Weighed Anchor and stared in with a little irritated sigh. A fight. The ruckus was audible from down the block, and now that she was closer, she could see the swarm of Kul’Tirans of questionable intent surging around, throwing punches and kicks amidst flying chairs, tankards, and occasional knives. And at its heart, a familiar figure in armor of cream, blue and bronze that managed to make one think “Alliance soldier” without actually bearing any of the Alliance telltales.

The short, redheaded human pressed her lips together and strode into the chaos, deftly ignoring the battle around her, side-stepping tussling combatants and dancing around flying debris until she found a relatively clear corner of the bar, one out of the main ebb and flow of the fight, and settled into a stool, there.

She tapped a finger on the bar, leaning over the top to stare down at the bartender cowering behind it. “Do you have wine?” the young woman asked, her voice carrying over the din.

The wiry, slender man shook his head, gripping the back of the bar and staring up at her with wide eyes.

“Mead, then,” Ary sighed, disappointed yet again. “I’ll take a mead.”

When he didn’t move, she frowned. “Now, please. I’m thirsty.”

There was nothing in the slightest about the human that actually looked intimidating, not from her rather ragged purple gown with its barely-decent neckline that aspired to reach her navel to the only weapon she carried: a small dagger with a crystal embedded in the pommel. And yet… fear sluiced through him at her displeasure, a fear that eclipsed the one that had driven him to cower behind his bar in the first place. He leapt to his feet and grabbed for an empty tankard with shaking hands, finding he had no desire to discover just what it was that lurked behind the little woman’s stern face.

When her drink was ready, he shoved it in her waiting hands and disappeared back beneath his bar like an eel scared back into the coral.

Ary barely noticed, taking a sip of her mead and turning around on her stool. She settled in to watch the fight, leaning one elbow back on the bar and sighing once more to herself. A voice she hated in her head estimated that the eredar across the room would down her final adversaries and break free of the bar fight within forty-three seconds, and she couldn’t help but start to count to see if it was right.

Forty-eight seconds later, Vasedra stepped up to the bar beside her friend, wiping a trickle of azure blood from the corner of her lip. Behind her, the fight still raged for the hearty few who hadn’t tried to throw themselves against the ‘warrior’. She felt Ary’s gaze on her, but it was easy to ignore it in favor of the pleasant glow at the core of her, the hunger temporarily sated. It pleased her, and that made her nervous. But she said nothing of that to the young woman at her side.

“That took longer than I expected,” the little human said by way of greeting, blue eyes following the void knight’s bloodied knuckles as her taller companion leaned over the bar.

This time, no one needed to say anything before the wiry bartender hopped back up to his feet, fixing wide, frightened eyes on the pair of women. Sedra pointed to the mead tap without a word, and soon he was shoving a tankard in her hands and disappearing once more.

“I wasn’t feeling motivated to end it faster,” the tall blue figure offered with a little shrug before she took a sip of her drink.

“Mmhm.” Ary raised a brow slightly but let it go as she did so many things, trying not to pry. Secretly hoping her friend would offer more, open up more. Instead, she got silence as she turned around on her stool and faced into the bar.

“Welcome back,” she finally added. “The new armor’s… interesting.”

“Thank you,” the eredar said. “I needed t-”

So far from home. So isolated and alone. Let the messengers come to bring you back.

They both whipped their heads up at the same time, glancing around and then at each other as thunder snapped through the evening sky, vibrating the mead in their tankards. Sedra winced and curled forward, pressing a hand to the center of her chest.

Her friend watched her, brow furrowed, until the moment of discomfort passed, and then she said, “You heard it, too.” There was no question, there, simply certainty. “You felt it? What was that?”

Vasedra frowned and shook her head, staring at the bar beside her mug as a little silver-purple worm plopped down from the rafters above, squirming. “I don’t know…” she said softly, reaching out a bare hand to pick up the creature. Her frown only deepened as she held it close to her face and rolled it around in her palm. “… not for certain. But if it has anything to do with what I fear it does… Well, there’s a reason I’m back on Azeroth early, Ary.”

Dropping the worm into the pool of mead that filled the bottom half of her drink, the eredar shoved to her hooves and stepped away from the counter, the twin swords at her hips chattering nonsense for a brief, mad moment before she silenced them with a glance.

“I need to go find Tharion. Maybe even find Malfias,” she sighed, “… again. Will you come?”

The red-head looked up from peering down at the shimmering creature in its sudden alcohol bath, wriggling uncertainly but not apparently drowning. She nodded. “I met you, didn’t I? I’m free.”

Vasedra nodded and turned to the door. “Then let’s hurry. I don’t think we have much time.”

2 Likes

The forest was dimmer than it should have been, drawn into darkness despite the shining late afternoon sun by the soul-sick spellwork that permeated the tall, old trees and sickened the wildlife with an energy full of rage and death and decay. As the silver saber stalked warily through it, his ears flattened against his round head, stirring the beads threaded into his mane. The land was sick, and it made him sick to feel it, to know that here, again, forces of evil and darkness sought to poison Azeroth. To destroy yet another home.

Rhese Silverwing sighed silently in his own mind, berating himself for his maudlin thoughts. His flat, pale nose brought him scents like a second sight, and instead of moping yet again, he forced his attention on the cat, on the instincts and impressions that filled its awareness and silenced his fearful and anxious heart. He smelled… spiders. And rot. That acrid-vomit scent that seemed to ride all of the vile Coven’s foul magics and wafted in sickening intensity from yet another totem he could see at the top of the gently rolling hill. Squirrels. Crows. Something that was dirt and silver water and the sharp ozone of Arcane on top of another, sicker, older emanation.

At that, he paused, his glowing amber gaze swinging with his head up toward the north, where the snowy peaks of the mountains showed through the canopy. Smells and sounds from that direction were hard to pin down at this distance, but… something was odd up there. With a little snort, he noted his location and tucked it away as yet another place to investigate later, taking a moment to rub his forepaw across his whiskers.

Ah… and there, the sweet, familiar scent of his mate, his wife. The druid flicked his tail happily and turned to refine his bearing before he broke into a light jog, his broad paws still utterly silent against the yellow-brown grass.

“I love you, too, my darling boy. Make sure you behave and help an’nui. I’ll be home soon, and I’ll tell you all about our travels.”

Rhese heard Nysse’s smooth tones well before he saw her, her voice warm with tenderness as it always was when she spoke to their family. To her credit, the huntress pitched her voice extra low from where she hid while she waited for him, wary and wise and only betrayed by the saber’s sensitive ears. As he padded onward, he listened to the other indistinct tones, hollow with that odd ring of a hearthstone’s magic.

Yami. And there was Rhoelyn. He could recognize the musical cadence of their voices, if not their words, and with an eager flick of his tail, the druid turned his jog into a sprint to see if he could be lucky enough to catch them.

“…-ve dinner ready when you all get back,” his sister was saying as he paused outside of a small cavern cut into the hillside, poking his nose through the tangle of roots and vines that quite effectively hid it from view. Tsume snorted at him in greeting, the wolf’s pale ears flicking, and Nysse looked up, wary for only a moment before her bright smile welcomed her mate back.

She didn’t look away, watching the saber’s lithe grace as he stalked into the cave, while she leaned her mouth toward the hearthstone glowing lightly in her hands. “Actually, I need to go anyway. Rhese just got here.”

The druid’s form shifted, the sleek cat expanding into a silver-haired night elf who walked on two booted feet with that same lithe gait. He couldn’t help but grin at that look his love got as she drank in the sight of him. Just as he couldn’t help but give his beautiful green-haired wife one back.

Nysse blushed slightly and fidgeted with the stone in her hand. “Oh wait. Surfal, do you want to say hello to Rhoe before we go?”

“Of course,” he answered with a rumbling chuckle, leaning over to press a warm kiss against her cheek. He took the little white trinket from her hand while she raised up on her toes to steal another from his lips, and then Nysse wandered away to gather up her gear and hide the signs of her little temporary camp.

“How is the home front, sis?” Rhese asked, wandering over toward the mouth of the little dirt cave.

“It is just how I like it at the moment: quiet save for the dearly missed voices on my hearth stone.” His serene little twin’s voice was a special kind of music to his ears, and he smiled just to hear it as the soft tok-tok of a knife against a cutting board picked up in the background. “Will you two be on your mission for much longer, Rhese?”

“A few more days, I think,” he answered gently, reading the hint of wistful longing in her tone. He shoved through the roots and out into fresher air, concealing himself by the hidden hollow. “We’ll be home before you know it. Listen, we need to move, Rhoe, but we’ll reach out to you tomorrow. Okay?”

“Of course, my brother. Be clever and careful and safe.”

“Always,” he answered, a cocky smirk twisting his lips.

Rhese started to lower the hearthstone as it dimmed, but suddenly the swirling rune flared to near-blinding brightness. He shielded his eyes as his sister’s alarmed voice cried from it, “When you hear it, make certain she isn’t still in the cavern!”

“Rhoe? Hear what? Rhoelyn?!”

The druid blinked and looked at the stone, as suddenly dead in his hand as it had just been blindingly, brilliantly awakened. His brows drew down as he flipped it over, pondering what she’d said. “… hear it? What does she think I’m g-”

So far from home. So isolated and alone. Rhese gasped and raised his head at the voice suddenly filling it, foreign and vile and yet somehow… familiar. Enticing. Let the messengers come to bring you back.

He was sprinting back into the hollow before he’d even really thought about moving, before the awful whipcrack of thunder sliced through the cloudless afternoon sky. The cave shook with the sound, the world shook with the sound, and the dirt above them groaned.

Tsume was already on her paws, ears perked and hackles raised, and Nysse was blinking in worried wonder, looking around with her pack held loosely in her hands.

“Tsume! Out!”

Rhese grabbed his wife around the waist and tossed her over his shoulder, ignoring her startled lupine yelp of shock as he swung around and sprinted, clumps of sod dropping at them from above. He only caught a glimpse of her pale wolf’s tail as the obedient pup scrambled for open air, and then they were bursting through the tangle of brush as well, the unmistakable rumble and crash from behind them heralding the demise of the little hideaway.

Dust and leaves polluted the air around them as the druid settled Nysse back on her feet, his heart thundering in his chest. She stared at him with wide silver eyes, gulping, and then looked back at the cave-in that she probably should have been buried under.

“Wh-what h-… H-h-how did y-you…” The huntress couldn’t force the words out, trembling as she clung to him. Tsume nosed against her leg, whining softly.

Rhese wasn’t ready to answer, so he simply shook his head and wrapped his arms tighter around her, trying to get his reaction in check.

He was getting close to succeeding, calming breath by breath, when a movement at the base of the tree behind her caught his eye. The silver-purple worm wriggling there was just small and alone, apparently as harmless as they came as it nosed along the trampled grass… but the silver-haired night elf shuddered as he watched it squirm and decided he wasn’t quite ready to let Nysse go, after all.

1 Like

A giggle from the kitchen made the young man smirk as he snagged his tall leather boots in two fingers and wandered over to the couch. His aunt’s words, her smooth tones gentle and soothing as always, sounded clearly through the small apartment, though the voice from the other side was too muffled to make out its words. Still… the hearthstone’s magic conveyed a sound he’d know anywhere, and the curious and momentarily unoccupied elf couldn’t help but listen as he plopped on the cushioned couch and worked on getting himself shod.

“Let me guess, my sister. You’ve found yourself with two idle minutes, and you wish to know everything the children have done in the past hour.” The occasional tock of a dagger on the board betrayed the fact that his aunt was cutting herself a snack. An apple from the fresh, sweet smell that wafted around the living room corner.

There was a moment of silence before the other speaker came back through the stone, sounding distinctly sheepish. Yamiriel Whispersong’ef’Silverwing heard the fond warmth and the smile in the little priestess’ voice after the incomprehensible response.

“We’ve just finished their snack, and Sarren took them all three out in the pram. I fear you’ve just missed them.”

He lifted his head, silver hair flopping against his cheek. “I’m still here, min’nu! Just getting my boots on.”

Yami was opening his mouth to say more when he heard a deep voice mutter from outside the front door and a child’s answering babble, their words unclear. He glanced at the closed portal when a whine advanced to a cry and someone amongst the youngest in their family launched into a fruitful wail.

From the kitchen, his aunt said, “Ah. Yami hasn’t yet left, if you wish me to-”

“Sorry, but I’m running out the door! Sarren is waiting for me, and I hear someone crying,” he announced with a wince, tugging his laces tight with a greater sense of urgency.

The click that followed sounded like the healer setting down her knife, and he laughingly wondered if she did it to pat the stone by her hand as a proxy. Rhoelyn was always one for the little touches, and he was endlessly amused by her habit of handling the hearthstone as if it were the person she was talking to. His father tended to do the same.

Yami knew he had it right when she said, “Apologies, sister. I’m afraid I am all that is left to tell you tales of their mischief.”

While the voice from the other side of the enchanted stone said something long and unclear, the voidling young man chuckled to himself and tied the last lace on his boots.

“They are healthy and happy, and we would protect them from any threat with everything we are.” Yami sobered, his brow furrowing while Rhoelyn paused before she gently added, “But I understand your fear. I share it when you both are out in the field, even though I know well how strong you are together.”

The words made him sigh softly. More worry.

The family was so infected by fear, even here in Boralus. Infected and broken in half by whatever his parents and aunt had endured in the fires of Teldrassil. The sensitive young voidling could feel all their emotional scars, but he didn’t know what to do to help heal them, to bring the family back together.

Yami finished the last knot on his boot, looping the leather thong around itself and missing his uncles while he listened to the next indistinct mutter from the stone.

The sudden pang of extra fear that filled his aunt at whatever was said had the young man hopping up and hurrying around the corner. He only paused to be nonchalant for a moment before he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her cheek. Her surprise drowned some of the fear, and her love for him drowned a bit more.

Rhoelyn gave her nephew a warm smile, taking a moment away from the conversation. “I thought you were rushing off, darling boy.”

Yami nodded and gave her a little squeeze. “Yeah. An’nui needs me, but I didn’t want to go without a hug.”

His aunt smiled warmly and kissed his cheek in return. “Dear Yami… Will you say hello to your mother before you leave, then?”

Her gesture toward the pulsing hearthstone was brief but graceful.

Min’da! Hi and bye and I love you!” The young man’s black eyes crinkled at the corners as he waved at the device, and suddenly he had to chuckle. So he was prone to doing it, too?

“I love you, too, my darling boy. Make sure you behave and help an’nui. I’ll be home soon, and I’ll tell you all about our travels.” The young woman’s voice took on the sweet tone it always did with him.

Yami nodded, again - not that she could see it. “Don’t worry, min’da. I’ll help take good care of everyone. I can’t wait for your stories!”

Another surge of wailing sounded from outside, and the young night elf winced. “I’d better go.”

Rhoelyn nodded and shooed him off, an imperious wave of her hand. “Have a nice walk, Yamiriel. I will be sure to have dinner ready when you all get back.”

Her words were practically offered to no one, and scant seconds after she finished he yanked the front door closed behind him with a satisfying click.

An’nui!” Yami rushed over and swept a squalling little infant with a head of aqua hair barely peeping out from beneath his little woven cap into his arms, cradling Rhylian against him. “Sorry I was slow. Did they get impatient?”

His grandfather, looking as calm as ever despite the second infant crying against his shoulder and the toddler tearfully trying to climb out of the tall pram, smirked and answered, “Oh, you know how they are. Mirrase got restless, so her twin got incensed on her behalf. And Alen is just upset because someone is upset.”

He deftly short-circuited Alensyr’s attempt to swing his pudgy little leg over the side of the pram and settled the boy back on his seat. “Come on,” Sarren said, wrapping his hand around the stroller’s handle. “Let’s get moving and see if we can’t distract them from themselves.”

Chuckling, Yami nodded and settled in his wake as the hunter deftly maneuvered the conveyance down the path past the long row of tidy brownstones that was the heart of their displaced family’s little neighborhood. He leaned down to blow a raspberry on his tiny brother’s cheek, another distraction, and was rewarded with a reluctant giggle from the baby. Rhy promptly forgot his tears and reached up to grab fistfuls of the shifted voidling’s floppy silver hair.

Their grandfather chuckled, patting Mirrase as she hiccuped. Alen stared up at them with pale, silver eyes, his face a study of serious contemplation as if he tried to decide whether to be amused or envious, his previous excuse for tears all but forgotten.

“There, now, little star.” Yami looked over at the green-haired night elf as he muttered to Mirra while they strolled. “Your boys are calm, and we’re moving. It’s time to stop your crying and enj-”

As the ominous voice in their heads went silent, a loud crack of thunder rang through the cloudless afternoon sky, and the voidling young man gasped, doubling over, his night elven form rippling like a dusk-shadowed pond. Fear was sudden ice through his whole being, leaving him trembling and clutching his baby brother to him as if Rhylian might be snatched away at any moment.

“Not mine!” he bit out, shuddering, even though he couldn’t have said for sure what he meant or who he addressed. “None of mine!”

The thunder was followed immediately by a rush of golden Light and a feeling of energized well-being, but neither the voidling nor his grandfather noticed amidst the chaos that exploded closer when the twins and their toddler cousin burst into terrified wails.

2 Likes