[RP] Lurid Lore & Frightening Fables

You are walking back home, it’s a chilly night, a full moon guiding your path. You hear a pack of wolves howling in the distance.
Suddenly, everything stops, and you feel a presence staring right at your soul, shivers run down your spine.
A herd of bats rushes towards you, you cover your face and close your eyes, waiting for the herd to go away.
As you uncover your face you spot a scroll falling down slowly, as if waiting for you to pick it up… You can almost feel its calling.
You gather enough courage and grab it. It reads as follows…

Are you afraid of the dark, little girl?

There is no reason to be ashamed! Being afraid of the right things can keep you alive. Assuming you even worry about such a thing
It is only natural to be afraid of ireful wraiths, or a hungry vampire… But what about fear when there is no clear, or obvious danger?

In a collaborative effort, The Desolate Conclave is proud to announce the first of many nights of Lurid Lore & Frightening Fables!

Get ready to explore the unknown, the spine-chilling, the blood-curdling… One single night packed with the most frightening fables in all Azeroth.

You flip the scroll to reveal the following note on the left bottom corner.

It would be wise of you to bring spare underwear.

OOC:

We would like to start hosting a monthly storytelling event focusing on horror stories, but to allow for more variety and maybe even more participation from all of you, all stories involving dark feelings are allowed (fear, anger, hate, suffering, etc…) but you will get extra praise for a spoopy story of course!

• When? Saturday, on the second week of every month, 8 PM ST
    NEXT SCHEDULED NIGHT: July 11

• Where? Darkmoon Faire (I will update with a detailed location once we get close to our first night)

• Warmode? ON

• Who? The Bureau of Diplomacy and Statecraft has dictated that all alliance, horde, or autonomous private parties may attend this meeting, we can’t guarantee your safety but that’s part of the fun, isn’t it?

10 Likes

Oh boy. I’ve got to start writing! Rubs hands together.

2 Likes

So I guess I will be your host this first night, kids.
Remember, next Saturday!

Official soundtrack for the night: Spooky ST

1 Like

Hey folks, reminder that we will be hosting the first night of Lurid Lore & Frightening Fables tomorrow.
Darkmoon Faire, 8 PM
WM ON
Cords: 44, 24
And look, I made a map so you don’t get lost in the dark forest… :ghost:
Link below!

bit. ly/LLandFF

3 Likes

A group of bats is actually called a camp or cauldron, but that aside from that this looks absolutely delightful!

1 Like

We know. But ‘Cauldron of Bats’ is also TDC’s solution to approximately 71.6% of the problems we face. So, we didn’t want the confusion.

1 Like

Quick OOC update here.

Plan is to make this monthly. But some changes.

A. Speakers will have time limits. Current idea is to put it at about 7 minutes. With the Oscar’s ‘wrap it up’ music coming in the form of a giant ghostly specter appearing behind you.

B. We will be awarding prizes for at least 1st place. Working on something more spooky but really money is the root of all evil so its gold for now.

If an Alliance player wins the solution will be to have them put a vendor trash item up for auction on the neutral AH for the winnings gold amount.

1 Like

A reminder that the next FF&LL will happen on August 8, it’s getting closer!

I won’t be putting a strict time limit on participants (don’t listen to that old man above, he has been diagnosed with a cranium void infestation)

HOWEVER, here are some recommendations:

1. I strongly encourage you to come prepared, have your story ready and either copy and paste accordingly or use the Story Teller addon, especially if your character speaks with dialects.
  2. Time is of the essence! You shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes telling a story, consider that other people also want to tell their stories and most people will lose interest if it gets too convoluted and long, so keep that in mind when designing/choosing your story.
  3. Short stories are preferred. Why? Because you can take some extra time adding suspense and deliver it with extra spookiness.

Hope to see you there once again!

2 Likes

Are you ready kids?

Only 2 days away!

2 Likes

As emotionless as ever, she drones, “I am the Punmaster, Master of Puns. Some of you I met just a month ago, under the boughs of these very trees. Others of you I am meeting for the first time. Greetings.” She inclines her head. “Just like last I was here, I do not bring puns; I bring stories. I collect them, you see; they are like blood, bringing joy, lessons and life to all who hear. For that reason, I am all too eager to share a story with the group of fearmongering vagabonds I see before me.”

She pauses here, grinning to herself. “Apologies to those who have heard this introduction before. I would be loathe not to let the new ones know how blackened my soul is.”

Another pause, but this one is prolonged. She’s still grinning – the only thing visible in the shadows beneath her hood.

“Once, I was in a world far away – one no one on Azeroth would know, except perhaps a few of your tormented draenei. This world was known for its vast oceans, which stretched farther and wider than any you have here.

“On this world was a man who lived in a house by the shore. It was quite quaint, as not many lived in this region, and he was of modest means. It was a peaceful life.

“But from time to time, usually around sunset, he would hear a call. The voice sounded like it belonged to a woman of his own kind, but it was echoing and dissonant, half a call for help and half a shriek of torment. It came from the direction of the ocean, which was unnerving because despite the ocean’s size, this man and his people were land-dwellers. Who among his kind would survive for so long out there?

“This man became convinced that someone needed help. He had two adult daughters who visited often, and one day, he took them to the shore to hear this harrowing voice. The tormented cry thrummed across the waters, but the daughters merely shared an odd look. They could not hear it.

“Fearing that some dark spell was afoot, his daughters warned him not to chase after this voice, but he was spellbound.

“At first, his daughters’ reasoning was enough. They set up a few protective spells, and he agreed to ignore the voice. But he became hard to control again in just a few days. The daughters took turns staying at his house to watch over him, and once again, it worked for a while. But then he became violent, and the daughters had to bind him to the wall, his wrists and ankles in restraints.

“Clearly, they could not expect to solve this problem by keeping their father restrained forever, so they made a solemn agreement. They would accompany him out to sea, and they would find the source of this voice, their magic at the ready to protect him.

“So out they sailed. Their father was sweating and shaking. His fingers tightened and loosened and tightened again along the rim of the boat. When he spoke, it was in fervent mutters, and the only thing he could manage to say clearly was how important it was that they reach the source of this voice. His daughters were worried sick.

“They had not sailed even 100 feet from the shore when the father threw himself overboard. His daughters screamed and did all they could to retrieve him, but their spells seemed to slide off his body like water off the feathers of a duck, repelled by some strange force. He was gone.

“Time passed. The daughters grieved. New people came to the shore and left.

“And then the Legion came.”

A wicked grin spreads beneath her hood.

“This world wasn’t as lucky as yours, for truly, Azeroth is a pearl among grains of sand. This world was completely decimated. Even right now, as I speak to you, at this very moment, there is not a single soul left alive on that planet. The fires of the Legion melted all the ice gathered at the poles, and the oceans became so filled with water that they consumed all the land. The planet is one big ocean now, full of blood.

“But there is still a call. An echoing, dissonant, tormented cry for help. But this one is not female. No, it is the cry of a man.”

She pauses here. Her shadowy face turns downward, pensive, and then it rises to meet the eyes of her audience again. “That would be a good enough place for the story to end, wouldn’t it? That is scary enough. But no – the truth gets much, much worse. Because you see, I know what the voice was.”

Her grin becomes so wide and wicked that even her serrated teeth can be seen behind her lips.

“There was a curse. Millennia ago, an evil person was cursed to be forever alone beneath the waves, trapped in a small space, with a body so pale and decomposing that he looked like no more than a ghoul. His skin was bleached white and oozing, slippery to the touch. Truly a slug of a creature.

“But he was crafty and cunning, and he knew there was one way for his soul to escape this tormented body: he would have to force another soul into it.

“So he would call and call and call, hoping that someone would come. And finally, someone did. He tore their soul out of their body and stuffed it inside the white, slimy hunk of flesh that he had been forced to occupy, and his soul was finally able to move on.

“And so began the cycle. Every few decades, someone else would be lured beneath the waves, and their soul would be trapped within this body so that the other could move on. It was an ugly cycle, and not one tormented soul was selfless enough to accept this torment forever.

“But I ask you all: what happens when there isn’t anyone left?”

She looks around the group, almost as if waiting for an answer. She continues in a dark rasp, so quiet that the group would have to lean in to hear.

“As I speak to you, right now, at this very moment, that man is trapped in that husk beneath the waves, calling for someone to save him. But there is no one left on that planet. The Legion has killed them all, and all souls that weren’t captured by those wicked demons have moved on. He alone is there, cursed to a life of entrapment and solitude forever.”

She bows her head and clasps her hands together. For the first time, it looks like the Punmaster could actually be praying.

“Let that be a lesson to you: when the Legion arrives at your doorstep, never relent. Thank you for your time.”

2 Likes