Rosetta 2 support is most likely going away in macOS 15

That would mean for all Apple silicon. WWDC isn’t that far away, and it seems Apple may do a lot of sunsetting and potentially faster than the usual Sep/Oct release. If you’re a macOS developer, it’s a wise time to release a Darwin/Arm64 variant of your app. I wonder if macOS support @Blizzard is on the out for Mac users with Apple silicon hardware, especially the M series notebooks.

I very much doubt rosetta 2 is going away in macOS 15

Apple just released a developer toolkit for companies to test their games on macOS. This toolkit hinges on the fact it uses rosetta 2 to allow developers to test their x64 games on apple silicon BEFORE they port them. It’s the whole point of the toolkit.

It would not make sense for apple to literally less than a year later go “just kidding, our tool we designed speciically for testing intel windows game on macOS is dead cause we killed off rosetta”

Also not sure you realize this, but WoW has been a arm64 app for ages now. battle.net is another story but at least that’s just an app for patching and launching and not something you keep open when playing.

As for other games like diablo, well since blizzard dropped mac support in all future titles they just don’t care there. I’d imagine WoW will be the last app that gets arm64 support and will be last one standing that supports macOS long term.

2 Likes

I think Mac OS 15 is safe. However, I’m not so sure about Mac OS 16 – that will come out over 5 years after the last Intel Mac (the 2020 Comet Lake iMac, I believe) and as such all Intel macs will be officially be classified as vintage, though we might get a reprieve as the 2019 Mac Pro was sold until 2023. I’m sure we’ll know one way or the other about Mac OS 15 at WWDC in June.

But it’s not about intel macs still in service, it’s about the dev kit for APPLE SILICON depends on rosetta 2. The entire design of the porting toolkit is to test windows game on macOS through rosetta 2 before porting them to macOS.

They can’t get developers to do that if they have to build arm application first. That’s why I think Rosetta 2 is safe, beyond the scope of intel macs.

2 Likes

Of course, it’s possible that the porting kit will continue to include Rosetta just for game developers while it’s removed from the general release. But I agree that it seems a little soon for that.