Role player incoming! (Need input!)

Hey folks! Title says it all. Moving onto an RP server. Moon Guard or Wyrmrest Accord. I’m familiar with the past descriptions of each
ERP goldhsire, precise lore roleplay on wyrmrest and that moonguard was more alliance as wyrmrest was more horde.

Me? Human Mage
Faction? Alliance

I very much enjoy an enriched backstory for a character. I always had one going for my toon. Even without the use of addons. I always played in character as much as possible. I stopped playing right around when Burning Throne released.

Many changes have hit WoW since I left
One being the lack of PvP (all around) servers.

LF Guild, one that isnt a bunch of Randall’s eating cheetos in the basement.
Guild that has some RP events. (100% noob to this concept however.) One that likes to play with different members story. Ex. My alt has to embark on a self quest to restore my mage to being himself. (As he disappeared around the introduction of Burning Throne. MIA)

Without trying to publish my very own novel here. I’ll end on this,

I need advice/suggestions and input on which realm to head over to!

1 Like

WRA vs MG to me are complete polar opposites.

WRA is very event driven RP, MG is very open world.
WRA likes to stick closely to the lore, MG is very open with its ideas and will do its own thing.

From a guild standpoint, the one I’m a part of tends to do events twice a week. Adventure events generally speaking. Casual RP is more off the cuff as it comes.

In either case, as an RPer you’ll want to put yourself out there. Don’t just say “walk ups welcome”, actually walk up yourself as well. This single thing along can significantly affect the success and what you get out of roleplay.

Good luck :slight_smile:

6 Likes

if rppvp if what youre looking for its taken a hit all around. only rppvp guilds on alliance i know of are

lionsblade regiment
legion of the dawn
the seventy third
the fortyseventh i think? idk they wont give me their netflix password and it makes me angry

1 Like

Most of the PvP I’ve seen these days have been city invasions. Those can be fun. Although I feel IC PvP itself right now would be kind of tricky given the current state of the lore. Someone will have to play the war criminals/malcontents.

1 Like

Take every opinion posted in this thread and elsewhere as no more than that, Including mine. All you’re going to get are impressions based on what the people who spend time posting on the forums think based based on personal experience and what the people they associate with tell them.

!?! I’d say that’s either an inaccurate stereotype or a gross oversimplification. I’ve encountered players individually and in groups that cover a broad spectrum of lore interpretation.

Interpretation is the key word there. I’ve yet to encounter a single loreyer or lore fundamentalist who does not ignore anything Blizzard staff have said about lore which is incovenient to their personal viewpoint.

Sure there are guilds with officers who are the official lore-enforces. Equally, there are guilds that don’t much care as long as you’re not beyond the pale, and you don’t force anyone else to comply with your particular quirks. Same goes for individual players I’ve encountered.

There are definitely things which are beyond the pale for reasonable roleplay within the WoW mythos. I’ve yet to encounter someone claiming to be one of the Mario Brothers.

OTOH there’s plenty that could pass for lore-compliant in the strictest sense but is equally absurd. Which one of the two owners of the Pig and Whistle tavern that i encountered in the same week is the real one? On a more individual level, it’s amazing how many people claim their characters have a perfect understanding of colloquial Pandaren in all dialects despite the fact that it’s only been possible to hear it for a very few years, let alone comprehend all the nuances, slang, etc. well enough to substantiate they’re claim to be lore-compliant. There are plenty more examples, but you get the idea.

A monolithic server-wide standard of what is or isn’t compliant with a universally accepted interpretation of lore doesn’t exist. It isn’t even feasible.

While there are reliable statistics on total character populations, there is nothing comparable for roleplaying character population. Add to that the fact that there are many many altoholics, and the overall population statistics become even less reliable as a measure of the balance of roleplay opportunities.

Mostly what is stated as if it was universal fact on the forums would be more accurately stated as an anecdote. “There was no RP going on when I was in Ogrimmar for 15 minutes”. I use that specific hypothetical because contrary to what you say people have been telling you there are a lot more threads here about how Horde RP is dead than Alliance. So even if you want to take anecdotes as evidence you’ve still got to figure out whose to take as valid.

The strongest subjective impression I have of roleplay on WrA in general is that currently there’s a lot more neutral, faction-blind, or nonaligned rp than ever before.

The closest I could personally come to saying anything that’s objectively valid about WrA is that roleplay activity is different than it was 5 years ago. Everything about rp opportunities fluxuates and transforms.

My personal experience is that my biggest dilemma is figuring out whether I’m in the mood take a Horde character or an Alliance character. There’s more opportunities than time, even though I only recognize maybe a couple of dozen other players’ characters by name - at most. Every single day I could RP til i’m exhausted if I wanted to. A/H/N - take your pick.

3 Likes

Moon Guard does have more Alliance players, but they’re also practically a mega server, and it comes with it’s downsides for that. And it’s not just Goldshire; I can’t bring myself to RP much on Horde side here because of the sheer number of people. I can’t keep up. Alliance side? Even at weird hours I can find walkup RP, there’s just no massive crowds - and some of us prefer it that way.

Alliance still has a very large population here. The only thing you may struggle to find is Mythic raiding. That’s it. If there’s something in particular you want, you may need to spark it yourself. (I wanted a void cult. There was no void cult. We are now starting a void cult. OC void lord? Pushing the lore? Yes, we do that on WRA.)

wPvP has been struggling for a while, but there should be a resurgence in Shadowlands. The Seventy Third still does plenty of casual PvP, however. And there’s a number of people doing arenas still.

3 Likes

OP, when asked I will always describe Moon Guard as the Las Vegas server. It never sleeps and there is an Anduin impersonator on every street corner. It is, a fun server full of personalities.

If you want structure and fun, WRA is the best place.

2 Likes

Hey there, OP! I’ll try and keep my input short and simple. As someone that’s played both sides quite a bit over the years, the best advice I can give is this: Try 'em both! Seriously. If you have Shadowlands, you can create class trials that start off at 120. Simply hearth out (or teleport out, considering you’re a mage), and make your own observations. These class trials last for about… eight hours, I believe? And it’s really simple to just recreate a character to do it again.

That being said, They really are two different environments completely on Alliance. Both are enjoyable! But only you can know where you fit in best. My experiences have been very similar as described by another poster above…

… except that WRA isn’t entirely lore-compliant either. But so long as one keeping such lore-bending/lore-breaking content to themselves and their own group/guild/clique/etc., it usually isn’t much of a controversy. Not until such things are placed on display at server-wide events and the like. In my MG experience, however, it’s rather openly displayed even in casual walk-up RP.

I personally much prefer lore-adherence and a close-knit community. But you can find these anywhere. As I said, it’s probably best to dip your toes a little in both before deciding ultimately!

1 Like

It’s also worth noting that Wyrmrest Accord is the most balanced server, and thus the best if you’d like to look into crossfaction RP, using the potion of tongues.

Make characters on both, and alternate every other day, to get a feel for which one ya like.