Rogues what spec will you play and why?

I plan on boosting a rogue and want some feedback on what is the most fun spec to level and pvp as. I have never played a rogue outside of retail so I’m pretty excited to play the class in tbc.

Combat maces for PVP (due to resiliance)
Combat Swords or Daggers for PVE (highest DPS)
Shadowstep for pure fun in BG’s (not great in arena though).

There’s also an argument for a Hemo/AR spec but I believe that was more towards one of the last 2.X patches.

There are other “viable” specs, but those were the best performing back in TBC.

I should also mention, rogue is mid-tier in PVE DPS in TBC. Don’t expect to be at the top of the meters like in Classic Vanilla.

1 Like

Destro Lock

1 Like

Sub rogue. Period. I plan on only doing pvp for the most part. I’m not looking to aoe pull my way through leveling, and I want to have the tools to world pvp if I have to.

4 Likes

Resto Druid. Rogues fall off in TBC and I miss being a healer anyways. Flight form OP. I was gonna go resto shaman but it turns out someone else in my friend group is going shaman so I’m just gonna be my old favorite class. TBH, I miss soaring around Outland in bird form.

Also, I can’t wait to sit in front of the Aldor bank in bird form going MINE MINE MINE! like seagulls from Finding Nemo at everyone who passes by.

1 Like

?
shadowstep is the best spec for arena. No1 is going to play combat maces in PvP since it’s launching with the nerfed version of Prep

7 Likes

Shhh let him play combat maces brother. The better it will be for us.

5 Likes

I plan on pvping mostly as well but I will dab in some dungeons. Idk if I’m gonna raid cause of the time it takes. Is sub pretty good for dungeons?

PvE will definitely be swords/daggers. Maybe some maces? I don’t remember how good the crafted 1h mace is early on.

Harp (hemo, adrenaline rush, prep) was the “combat” spec back in the day for arenas (with maces for #rngstun) but that was earlier on as prep used to reset AR. They nerfed prep to not refresh AR later in TBC.

Since they’re starting with a later build of TBC I imagine most rogues this go around will be shadowstep for arenas.

1 Like

I mean it’s ‘ok’ in terms of it gets the job done because rogues do decent dps in dungeons anyway. But combat is way better for obvious reasons. Combat has AR, blade flurry for aoe, as well as just better talents for dps in general.

Sub is top tier in pvp tho without question.

1 Like

Combat swords for PvE- it’s a must. AR is a massive CD for burst windows. BF is rogues only cleave.

Deep sub for arena- SS is too good to pass up. Subs ability to amplify a rogues ability to control a fight beyond what their static kit provides takes them from strong to god tier in arenas

Edited for the “why”

1 Like

Shadowstep swords is the only pvp spec anyone plays man. Mutiliate somtimes, but rarely.

Please let me farm your arena team when you aren’t speccing shadowstep thank you kind sir

1 Like

100% crit chance ambush spec.

1 Like

The main pvp spec is shadow step Hemo this is what 90% of the rogues will be.

You can level as hemo just fine all though combat is slightly faster due to Adrenaline rush and blade furry being able to mow down 4 mobs every time the cds are up.

This is so blatantly wrong that I have to assume it was a poor troll attempt.

1 Like

Guy didn’t even mention mutilate, I mean… dude why play nerf’d HARP over mutilate? I wish step was baseline, would be so freaking nice, all the various builds that could be if Step was a trained skill (IMO should have been trained)

1 Like

If I remember correctly, in season 1 all the top rogues played combat over hemo for some reason. Hemo must of been really weak in season 1. I do remember playing combat myself back in the day specifically for season 1, then going hemo season 2 and on.

Wait what…?

Did you just say shadowstep is the bad build in arena? It is literally THE arena spec.

1 Like

Combat Swords for PvE
Deep Hemo for PvP

Hemo for tryhard arena.
Mutilate for non meta arena.
Combat swords if I raid.

Although hemo is the most fun of the 3 imo overall.