Rogues and Mutilate

that’s how it will work next phase.

No shot.

You will most likely be using carnage so you need rupture and with HAT you’re going to be getting lots of free CPs

1 Like

i’m on the fence about this but it may be the case. SND gets it’s rank 2 version in phase 3 .

Yea but 20% damage is better than not having to press SND.

Especially when we are getting free combo point every 1.5-2.5 seconds.

I can see us staying the same exact build we are now.

Except we get murder and 30% mut CRIT chance.

Rotation goes from just envenom and SND to adding in rupture to maintain the +20% damage multiplier.

Eh, I am sure someone will math this out, but I am not sure this is true and I am also not positive it won’t be more advantageous for a mutilate build to run one of the energy return runes instead of HAT. At some point you are waiting on energy and the CP generation is wasted. I don’t think that is an issue with Saber. I think that will be very common with mutilate.

I want to see the math on this. It might be the first time in a while rogues have actual rotation choices with different runes and they might all math out close enough to not matter.

Edit: and that’s assuming I am wrong and Mutilate remains 40 energy. 60 energy mutilate is a different discussion.

I agree give rogues cloak and some sort of self heal.

4 buttons are enough for me.

2 Likes

Currently on the rogue discord it’s HAT and Carnage.

They are already matching out bleeds and stuff.

Snd and rupture are free anyway.

Not sure how you don’t see a 20% multiplayer being more DPS than not having to press SND especially with all the free CPs from HAT

1 Like

It is the extra damage from Envenom + the extra damage from the poisons after using envenom. Shoot, this entire playstyle is currently in Wrath (it doesn’t have a rune) and they take it a step further and go with super fast MH/OH to maximize poisons. I am sure there are differences between Wrath and SoD which is why I am not trying to say it is 1:1. But the playstyle already exists complete with Envenom refreshing SnD.

The 20% damage probably tops it, but I don’t think it is a given by any stretch.

Yea but a 20% multiplier VS not refreshing SND.

I mean you’re going to have so many CPs anyway and pressing SND is free, it will cost you 0 energy and Envenom will cost you 10 energy.

+20% damage to everything you do is just nuts.

1 Like

And that’s why I am saying I am not positive HAT will be the rune that a mutilate player will necessarily use. Mutilate already has boatloads of CP.

Dunno. I will let the math people figure it out. I just think there is a better than average chance there will be multiple viable specs and if there are that’s at least interesting.

2 of the finishers are free, they aren’t free if youre spamming mut to generate those cps.

Not using HAT isn’t even a question at this point.

1 Like

We will see what the other two runes look like. If they are what we currently have datamined, it is unlikely anyone raiding will choose something other than HAT. But to blanket say “HAT or nothing” at this point seems premature.

1 Like

If we are running carnage there is a possibility of running saber slash once you get that awesome fist weapon, Haven’t done the numbers but that would atleast change things up.

Imagine a 2 minute fight and every 2 seconds you’re getting a free CP.

Even if the data mined stuff is buffed it’s still not even close.

1 Like

You have a 20% chance to gain 15 Energy every time you deal melee damage with your off-hand weapon.

You honestly think they can’t buff this to make it better than HAT. That’s crazy talk. Make that a 40% chance instead of 20%. Make it return 30 energy instead of 15. Both are ridiculously OP and both would be better than HAT.

You gain 2 Energy every time you deal a melee or ranged critical strike.

You think they can’t buff that to make it better than HAT? With Mutilate having a roughly 50% chance to crit? Say that returns 5 energy instead of 2. Say they change it to have a 20% attack speed increase for 7 seconds in addition to the 2 energy. There are all sorts of things they can do to make it so this is better than HAT.

I mean if it has an ICD it’s DOA.

Hat is literally giving you around 600 free energy in CPs every minute.

1 Like

Blizzard will nerf it into the ground if it is that good.

What makes mut more or less boring than any other CP builder? With CttC every rotation will be: builder → SnD → builder to 5 cp → envenom/evicerate.

The only way to add a new cp builder to the mix is to introduce one that has a CD or provides a dot.

Drink is suggesting that you won’t be using CttC and will be using Carnage and rotating Rupture in due to the ease with which you can build CPs with HAT along with the low / free energy consumption for many / most of the finishers.

Drink makes a compelling case.

In classic the builders had different properties and tradeoffs that altered the pace of combat and prompted you to build your character differently. For example

Backstab - High energy cost and low combo point generation, but highest burst damage. Has a positional requirement. Slower paced gameplay that rewarded players for good positioning, and timing with pooling their energy to blow someone up with 2-3 backstabs.

Hemo - Lowest energy cost and highest CP generation. Required deep investment into Sublety tree. Fastest paced combat, spammable with no positional requirments. Good for being able to generate finishers quickly

Sinister Strike - Sits in the middle between the first two options. Decent CP generation, modest energy cost.

What builder you used depended on a lot of things; what weapons do you have, what content are you running (pvp, pve, leveling, grinding ect.), what spec do you want to play, do you want more combo point generation or burst ect.

Now in SoD, its extremely cookie cutter. Everything costs 40 energy, and Mutilate w/daggers is objectively the best option in every single situation with no trade offs, and combat with imp backstab and dual wield specialization is too good not to take. Its very, very disappointing and just boring.

5 Likes