Rogue Poison questions

Yo I Never played Classic/Vanilla I heard you had to craft your own poison so I’ve got a few questions.

1. Are the mats Vendor bought or harvested with profession’s?
    wanna know this one because I wanna go mining/engineer & need to know if I should also start a herbalist alt.

2. Does instant poison exsist & if it does can it be used on raid bosses without affecting the debuffs.

Thanks for all the reply’s! This helps me a lot! so thanks everyone!

Vendor bought
Yes

You need Fadeleaf for Blinding Powder. The rest is vendor bought.

2 Likes

Poisons mats are acquired through 10 man dungeons on all 7 continents of Azeroth. You must have completed the rogue poison quest line and have 100g per poison recipe. You will need to acquire the master poisoner skill to brew high level poisons.

1 Like

And if you’re not a Master Poisoner, you have a 5% of poisoning yourself while applying poison to a weapon, permanently deleting your character.

2 Likes

i would go herb/alch for sure if i was a rogue

1. Both bought and slightly professsion farmed, in that you can get mats from lock boxes that you pickpocket. The vast majority of all poison you get will be purchased mats, however.

2. Instant poison exists and it is for the most part the only poison you ever use in pve… It also had both duration AND charges that deplete, and if memory serves, also removes itself upon zoning. But for reference, despite having a 30minute duration, I had to apply instant poison a combined 7x between my two weapons for a single Wailing Caverns run, because the procs where eating up charges.

Pretty sure that zoning bug got fixed some time in vanilla.

Rest of your statement is accurate.
You could also get mats from the chests you used to level lock picking (Red ridge, etc)

1 Like

I never did raid with my Rogue in Vanilla. Was Instant Poison preferable to Elemental Sharpening Stones?

My rogue during vanilla was an alt, so unfortunately I can’t answer that one for you definitively… I know I used instant poison over sharpening stones, and I suspect they where superior choices, but yeah… can’t be certain.

Poisons preferred, but in cases of them being immune use stones.

No need to go herb/alchy. The mats you can be bought from the poison vendor. Fadeleaf was pretty common and you could easily buy it from the AH, it was used for Blinding powder.

IIRC, didn’t Deadly Poison outperform Instant Poison in raiding?

It did. But the importance of managing debuff slots overrode any value of a slight personal dps increase.

1 Like

As a rogue with a busy lifestyle you won’t suffer from not being an herbalist. The only thing I remember ever being short on was Thistle Tea, and you can live with that.
You will be paying many visits to your reagant vendor near the rogue trainer to keep your poison stock up though.

Don’t forget charges. Poisons have both a time limit and a limited number of charges. Unless you’re training a new weapon skill you’ll likely need to reapply poisons before the timer runs out.

We’ll see if Blizz keeps the zoning bug or not.

the reagents are bought at vendors and harvested via pickpocketing mobs and then opening their junkboxes, and by opening object junkboxes found throughout the world as in-game items that other players can find and jump on, but not open without a blacksmithing key

the vendor can provide all the relevant reagents, though, for a price

Yes, it should be noted that blind is considered a poison in classic. That means druids can cast abolish poison on themselves shortly before a rogue blinds to get themselves out of blind.

1 Like

Also note that making poisons is a skill that you need to level up. Think of it as rogue only alchemy.

yep. rogues. the class that gets 2 extra professions to level.

1 Like