Rogue Lack of AoE

Bears have swipe, but… WHERE’S MY KITTY CLEAVE?! ;D

Apparently rogues don’t need to do single target damage either.

3 Likes

This is a great visualization of the goal post moving.

It doesn’t invalidate his opinion just because his parse isn’t up to your expectation. Be nicer man, it’s free.

1 Like

I mean it kind of does.

Someone who is illiterate can’t really have a good opinion on how to write a novel.

1 Like

Thunderclap was dramatically improved and Gladiator Stance will allow WW usage.

Swipe scales and has dramatically better threat.

Molten Blast and the upcoming Overcharged rune for Lightning Shield that makes it permanent and AoE on proc.

Hellfire is already good but the new Immolation Aura will be even better.

You were saying?

3 Likes

hehe I’m starting to think parsing doesn’t make you happy,

But lets not derail the topic, rogues have some cleave and aoe boosting abilities deep in the combat tree, this doesn’t really help because the boss parse script goes mutilate and doesn’t go deep into combat and benefit from blade flurry or adrenaline rush for nice big spikes in cleave damage in favor of sustained single target dps,

no one is going to spec for cleave damage because it doesn’t really help with parsing but that doesn’t mean there aren’t options available, what the op is lamenting is that the cookie cutter spec doesn’t include any mashable or easy to follow aoe rotation which it shouldn’t cause you’re a rogue wielding daggers and can’t reach that far.

1 Like

little more cleave would be nice. but i don’t think rogues really need good spammable aoe like fan of knives. that’s homogenization and hurts the class identity.

1 Like

If one more person says “Blade Flurry blah blah blah”…

3 Likes

When everyone has a class-appropriate AoE that’s not dog water… homogenization is out as a concern.

We don’t necessarily need “spammable” either. A 6s CD AoE ability that hits fairly hard, applies or procs certain (or all poisons), and/or refreshes something we do, would be perfect.

Or just slap a massive threat modifier on Shuriken Toss. Its basically unruned Thunder Clap in terms of usability and Warriors are about to be able to do WW, with a Shield, in Glad Stance, while Tanking.

EDIT: The easiest fix would be to update Unfair Advantage to be 1s CD per target instead of globally. Otherwise the ability is pretty crappy since there’s no guarantee it evenly tosses out the damage, and it only hits one target at a time.

Alternatively, make Unfair Advantage do some kind of splash with greatly modified threat so that while only one target is getting 90% of the damage, everything else still sticks to the Rogue. Otherwise the rune is only kinda OK without actually patching up the problem.

2 Likes

Always funny watching hunters trying to think. Replace big with viable, like the guy I responded to used, and my point is the same.

Thunderclap is still weaker than shuriken toss.

Existing ability?

You’ve listed minor buffs to existing abilities with the exception of shaman tanks now having some aoe.

I’m still not convinced

Unless you’re willing to go through and list them all for each class. It took a surprising amount of effort for someone to try and even name a couple.

As I said, different classes should be different. As rogues lack aoe, they should be very strong single target. The fact they werent in P2 is a valid, but different conversation.

1 Like

I have a 98 on menagerie, I solo tank the entire raid. Shuriken toss is garbage (only use it for pulling). Don’t need it to be better for bosses, I just don’t hold any aggro on any of the trash pulls with several mobs. I don’t think I should be able to as I hate the AOE meta but it does make us worthless tanks for dungeon grinding

3 Likes

Comn man this is ridiculous, every class in the game doesn’t need aoe. If you want every class to have aoe try retail. Lets keep classes unique

1 Like

I mean, call it “AoE meta” or whatever but we are TANKS. Our main job is to grab every mob we possibly can and keep aggro. Therefore; aoe threat is very important.

Example: If I tank SM Cath and I pull 6 mobs. If I’m tanking 2-3 mobs and the other 3 mobs run away and start destroying the clothies, that’s just bad game design. Us tanks are doing everything in our power to hold aoe threat but one Blizzard from a mage pulls all threat. That doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

I thought we were concerned with aoe threat. I like shuriken toss. Don’t care about the damage, just give it a threat increase or somethin

6 Likes

Rogue is awesome in SOD. The only reason they lagged behind in gnomer was due to a flat 20% resist to poison on the bosses in gnomer. Phase 1 they were great, rogue was behind warrior in classic quite often as well.

Not everyone needs to be able to hold threat against Mages pumping dps unthrottled. Hell, if they don’t hold back, I don’t think any tanks can.

And that not only is that intentional, it’s desired by the groups.

The tanks grab aggro initially, the mages rip threat off, then you start kiting the mobs instead of tanking them. What’s the issue?

This is classic, not retail. You want infinite threat tanks, go play retail.

2 Likes

so is physical damage reduced. Guess what ? Surv hunter’s pure physical damage doubles rogue, warriors shjt on rogue at any boss. Do they have AoE abilities? They are much much better than rogue in cleaving and AoE. Do you think 20% damage is the gap between shaman, ret pally (the AoE kings) and rogue when half of their dmg is physical? what a joke.
Rogue is the worthless class in pve right now, even in group pvp, none wants rogue except for stealth groups, aka comp for the unwanted.

i never have problems finding groups for anything…rogue has VERY high burst for pvp which is fantastic in bloodmoon. They also have VERY high CC capability which is fantastic in wsg/ab.

Rogue does fine with cleave if they spec blade flurry, but there is only two fights in gnomer where this is even useful, and really only one where sustained cleave is needed.

A flat 20% increase in poison damage is HUGE for rogue( dont forget envenom is poison damage). They might not be top with a 20% increase but they would be top 3 for sure.

Quit asking for new abilities i don’t want 2 aoe runes just buff shuriken.

1 Like