Rip Shadowlands

Well so much for Shadowlands. Another soon to be mediocre expansion. People always say its a bad, good, bad, then good expansion. Well BFA was bad and looks like Shadowlands will break the cycle of bad, good. Another bad expansion. Only thing Shadowlands has is more character customization and Torghast, literally the only two things being used to market the expansion. Character customization is nice, but honestly who cares? It doesn’t do anything to add content to the game. That leaves Torghast, which Blizzard literally just ruined by adding timers LOL! So much for them wanting us to take our time to explore the tower and rewarding us for doing so.

Originally the expansion looked underwhelming to me then I actually started to like the sounds of it and even look forward to it. Now though? Expansion aint looking so good. Blizzard had to ruin the one good thing to look forward to in this expansion. Why am I not surprised.

10 Likes

“They added a timer to a feature I didn’t want a timer in”, Expansion ruined!!!

11 Likes

click that bait son

click it

12 Likes

Despite your hyperbole, it’s a really bizarre choice. Before the timers they had Raids and dungeons for traditional mmo content, then they had mythic+ for looter fans, and then they seemingly had Torghast for those who like roguelikes.

Seems like they were adding a gameplay type. But a roguelike with a timer is just another looter dungeon, imo. So they just added another looter to WoW. Less unique.

If their response to issues with Torghast is a looter fix, to me, this just says it will become more and more looter and less and less roguelike. So now the feature just became homogenized to be like an already existing system. A bit of a waste really.

7 Likes

You’re forgetting Covenants, Level Revamp, level Squish, unpruning, etc…

But you do you.

They’re not punishing you for exploring. They’re punishing people who sit on a floor for more than 20 minutes.

How about you play it first? People on Alpha have. Nothing has changed.

2 Likes

Smash dat bait button!

1 Like

I hate to say it, but I agree. This looks like it is going to revolve around Torgast running and that holds absolutely no appeal to me.

Lol covenants are just an extra ability nothing more. That and a bunch of quests. Nobody actually plays the game for the quests lol. Level revamp? Who cares, it doesn’t change anything. Stats are the same.

Yes, they’re punishing everyone because of the odd 1% of players who wait for lust before each pull. Add exhaustion for each floor problem solved don’t need a timer, but nah. Gotta rush everyone. Go, go, go, go!!!

If Blizzard would invite me I’d play it sure.

1 Like

Don’t worry there’ll be an LFR mode.

There always is.

They need to play more roguelikes then. A timer is not a needed solution to the problem. It shows a lack of imagination. Maybe this is just a bandaid till they figure-out a more unique way to discourage this. But as it stands its showing they only know looter solutions to any of their problems.

2 Likes

Interesting response! I don’t think the torment concept is un-rogulike though, per se, and I’ve got an example you might like. The Hell Realms in Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup have pretty much the same torment stuff going on, in a textbook roguelike, and it makes for some really interesting play.
The whole game you pretty much get conditioned to rest after every fight, but the spawns of monsters and curses on you subliminally tell you to keep moving, and it’s not a hard timer and not impossible to survive for a long time down there, but makes you want to move.
Just my opinion, check it out, you might like it!

1 Like

Woof. This one gets it. Right on the nose. Well said.

2 Likes

I think you are not remotely qualified to speak for everyone.

2 Likes

Well, Shadowlands still offers Blizzard at the Wheel. I can’t imagine Blizzard being anything other that Blizzard. How long will it be until we fly? How many weeks and months must we play the game exactly their way before we fly. What a idiot I am for pre-ordering. Sadly this means I am almost as stupid as they are.

1 Like

I’ll check it out, but just looking at it on youtube it looks like it is somewhere in the middle of a looter and a roguelike. That said, if Blizzard had a track record of roguelike design I might give them the benefit of the doubt. Currently though, over the past few years, it’s apparent looter design is their specialty and focus as of late.

Great. We got a guy with no clue what he’s talking about.

Ever heard of Soulbinds? Doubtful.

So your thought process is “If I don’t care it’s not a change or feature?”

Have you looked at the timer?

No, tell me, have you?

Based on gameplay, a rough estimate for the FIRST LEVEL (with only one anima power), that is even if you wander around a bit, will take you 2 minutes.

The stacking increase does a 1% bonus to a certain attribute for an enemy every minute to two minutes.

After you clear six floors, all those buffs are gone. They are cleansed, and new ones are added. And then there’s also Anima powers, which are ludicrously strong.

In most cases you will out-damage an enemy’s buff. Even then, if it does end up not working out well, there’s this statement from Blizzard in which they specifically mention that “TORGHAST IS NOT MEANT TO BE TIMED”

Hence the reason we have Beta/Alpha testers. Their feedback is warranted.

Oh but I thought you were giving up on it?

1 Like

Except it’s not a real timer. It’s an affix if anything.

I’m underwhelmed by the character customization… These things should have been in the game years ago. To say its a major new feature is lame… Give us a new ranged class!!

Thanks for replying! What specifically is a looter to you? I’ve seen that word a lot today and my best guess is like Diablo, but I don’t know

I’m not really a fan of the timer thing, although if they tone it way down I think it will be fine.

My bigger issue is the way convenants are shaping out. Their design philosophy is that they are go to be so amazingly well designed that there isn’t going to be a strict meta employed by the community for performance reasons. That’s so grossly naive of a gaming developer I can’t even fathom it.