Riots in Stormwind

Alright, I know you’ve all seen them, a know they are ALL in poor taste. Honestly, we as a community should not be just accepting of the Riots people are starting in the city over something that no one should really be all that concerned about, save for the racists of the game who think that the only race anyone ever should ever play is humans. I don’t know about y’all, but every time some new race is implemented, these people come out of the woodwork to start issues and cause endless and unneeded drama in a game where we all come to escape stupid crap like this in real life.

14 Likes

Is that what was going on. I showed up after delivering the turkey and stuffing to Ironforge and there was this crowd of people yelling at a poor dragon boy. I don’t even know why they were yelling at him. He was just standing there being all draggony, not bugging anyone.

3 Likes

Yep. And frankly this behavior is old, and needs to stop.

4 Likes

It’s getting bloody stupid the last couple days, people need to calm down and let people have fun. You can tell its some OOC getting into IC.

6 Likes

It is! It is a reason for the racists to come out and be complete dickbags about things! Again I say, we as a community need to put a stop to it. Blizzard obviously has no interest in doing so, so it is left to us the players to actually do something at this point.

4 Likes

I kind of like the riots.
I think they’re fun and are actually realistic in the city that’s been constantly screwed over by dragons. Especially the black dragons which created the Dracthyr.

I actually like conflict in my RP, it can spice things up and makes the RP a bit more fun to take risks especially when it can possibly kill my character.

Nobody came on the forums and complained about the Death Knights or Void people attacking every day, why is this any different?

26 Likes

I wasn’t around for that. At the time I was a contenter on Winterhoof. But the sheer amount of people that are okay with absolute racist RPs is unacceptable in any way. I don’t care if it ‘makes sense’. A few, sure. But every time I go around a corner, it is all I see. That is NOT okay. And the VEs and the death knights and the worgen doing it after it happened to them too? How does THAT make any sense at all? Don’t worry. I’ll wait.

1 Like

Because they probably weren’t getting OOC upset about things that happen IC.

If you don’t like the riots you choose to not partake. Some people like myself enjoy the conflict, not everything needs to be perfect. The ones I’ve been in have been good developmental RP for my Dracthyr.

23 Likes

Name a more iconic duo than Stormwind RPers and monthly race riots that completely run counter to even the most basic lore and canon but are just excuses to do nonconsensual edgelord RP with as many possible. I’m sure come next month one of the Scarlet guilds will try to lynch Greatfather Winter or something for being impure.

7 Likes

It’s pretty clear in the lore that there are people in the city that dislike & distrust the Dracthyr given the city’s history with dragons.

When find out that they were made by Deathwing it makes sense for them to want to kill the Dracthyr.
The Alliance doesn’t have good history with the black dragons in the slightest.

7 Likes

I think there is a nuanced and interesting way to RP this conflict but i think OP is correct in that many people just use it as an excuse to be rude.

2 Likes

considering how many races were made by the titans it feels pretty weird to say that it ‘makes sense’ to want to lynch randos in the street.

Like, it doesn’t strike you as weird from a pure lore side of things that due to the time skip that 3 year gap is the longest Stormwind has gone without literal lynch mobs trying to murder refugees in the streets in ages? You don’t think maybe that’d cause some strain on their relations with others and all?

This isn’t a personal scale ‘I don’t trust dragons’ this is people playing out full on district shutting down riots with the intent to murder randos who are very obviously canon wise considered either immigrants or refugees legally speaking.

2 Likes

This doesn’t make sense.
King Mechagon wanted to kill all non-gnome races as seen in the Mechagon intro and his whole thing was going back to the titanforged design.
Scarlets also exist.

I haven’t seen a “lynch mob” in Stormwind in ages. Not since the Void Elves.

Refugees which are all weapons/soldiers created by Deathwing. Which have the power of all the dragonflights just like the chromatic dragonflight, which were all evil as well.

People are free to RP their characters as they wish, and people can chose to not interact with others as they wish as well.

8 Likes

Oh hey! I was on Winterhoof too!

Back to the point: One way this problem rears its ugly head is when people get into OOC arguments on /y (exclusively on /y) that fill up the chat and make it nearly impossible to pay attention to anything else. I saw this last night and had to physically remove my character from the area just to stay sane and follow everything.

In principle, I’m cool with having conflict in our RP. But I draw the line when it gets so disruptive that it prevents other people from having their own fun. Especially when it turns into an OOC shouting match.

People need to chill, mix it up a bit, and take their stuff to /s and /e once their interaction gets going.

6 Likes

In a world where you can be literally ANYTHING and you choose to be a racist. It’s the most pathetic waste of time I could possibly imagine. Lazy writing for the uninspired.

4 Likes

The inspired don’t need it. :rofl:

And really, who’ll notice another bag full in the landfill load we’ve already got… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

While there’s a fair point that sadly too many people decide to use IC as an excuse for OOC (but admittedly that’s not to say all do), this quoted point isn’t really correct.

It’s sadly common IRL for groups that of been looked down on and/or attacked themselves to do the same to other similarly oppressed groups. For example, convicts here in Australia who were abused by their overseers (and often had been deported for taking part in anti-British activities in Ireland, for example) would commonly in turn abuse Aboriginal people.

It’s just a common and stupid bit of human instinct, to look for someone even lower on the social totem pole to take out your own grievances on.

5 Likes

What exactly do you think the community is going to do? Newsflash, this community barely even polices the predators amongst their own. At best, they hand out a six month ban from events.

1 Like

Yeah its gotten to a point where I have become weary around “Openly Racist” RP characters.

I had some bad RP experiences with some who later start to complain when someone else (even ICly) calls them out for their racism, only to have it blow it into a OOC meltdown because they don’t want to accept any consequences for their characters.

Makes me wonder if that person has some ulterior motives.

4 Likes

Honestly I think that’s the worst part of all of these things. It only ever comes down to people arguing because as soon as things go physical those “antagonist” characters are the first to just…not accept any consequences. I think maybe that’s what angers me so much–it’s clearly nothing but an excuse to be an edgelord or an a-hole and rile people up.

It was interesting the first time with Death Knights. The second time with Worgen it was cringy but ok. When it happened with Pandaren it just made me scratch my head. For Void Elves and now Dracthyr I’m just plain tired of this sort of stuff. It’s not interesting RP, there’s no satisfying resolution to anything, and none of the ‘stories’ that come out of it are good. It’s just a lot of people yelling and yelling and yelling and feelings getting hurt.

7 Likes