Rings of power

I had my reservations and still do but ep 4 was very nice actually. What do yall think? Has alot of flaws but not bad so far. :slight_smile: :cloud_with_rain:

6 Likes

It’s beautiful but the dialogue is cringe sometimes. The story could be good. I didn’t like Elrond’s look but Elrond’s actor is superb at making him likeable.

The problem with Rings of Power is that I look forward to new episodes only because it’s Lord of the Rings and fantasy… not because of any plot or character, except maybe Elrond, despite him not looking the part.

House of the Dragon also started out with no plot or character to care about… until now. I’m really looking forward to seeing what happens in House of the Dragon. Hopefully Rings of Power can obtain a plot and characters that generate as much interest.

4 Likes

Yeah dialogue sometimes esp with galadriel is cringe but overall esp after ep 3 has been good n

It’s good, i wish there was a Warcraft show based on wc3

3 Likes

Definitely a slow build, but I like it so far

2 Likes

I love both but I actually prefer it to house of dragons. I only finished episode 3 though. I am caught up on house of dragons.

IGN gave episode 4 of rings of power a 6/10. I am scared to watch.

I miss peacemaker, severance, and better call Saul . I am also watching bad sisters and she hulk. Those are good shows too.

1 Like

Not touching that show.

15 Likes

We watched 2/3 of the first episode and were bored with all the dramatic elf speeches.

I just don’t find the elves interesting as key protagonists.

3 Likes

Even after Ep 3’s insane fight scene at the beach?? House of Dragons for me has been amazing compared to Rings of Power.

1 Like

Im a huge LOTR fan, but I wont watch the Amazon woke version.

18 Likes

That’s the ironic thing. If you took away the LotR IP, it’s an above average high fantasy production that I’d probably enjoy. Which, considering the creative licences they are taking with Tolkien’s work, it may as well be a new IP.

I feel like tacking on the LotR IP does nothing but invite unfavourable comparsion to the vastly superior source material.

4 Likes

Really?

I’m enjoying the plot of Galadriel. The first episode with her was a bit dry I guess, but the current stuff keeps me interested. I am however almost 100% not interested in the hobbit storyline so far.

The dwarves are cool, but… elves are still top tier LOTR content.

Yeah I find Galadriel’s scenes to be the worst. She has the look but when she speaks it’s cringe. Not actor’s fault, just what she’s given. I would normally be drawn to elves more than others, too. Even Nori the harfoot is more compelling than Galadriel. Hope she gets better!

3 Likes

Its woke trash that craps on everything Tolkien created. He is the father of modern fantasy media and his work deserves to be treated with the utmost respect. Not dunked head first into a bucket of piss and held there till the bubbles stop!

7 Likes

Yeah House >>> RoP

So far RoP has been a snoozefest. Characters like Galadriel are written really poorly. House actually has some good characters, Matt Smith is a treat to watch onscreen

3 Likes

I actually have far less of a problem with it in terms of wokeness than, say, Amazon’s “adaptation” of The Wheel of Time.

At least in this case we’re only dealing with whether there might or might not be elves or dwarves we’ve never met before who might not be white, and we have to deal with fan-debate over what Tolkien meant by certain passages about Galadriel “fighting fiercely” and so forth.

To me, ROP, despite being tedious, is diversity done right. It’s only tenuously based on the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, so it’s not like some beloved story has been torn apart.

The Wheel of Time, on the other hand, was already super diverse - but they had to make everywhere diverse and show us the showrunner’s fantasy of what 2022 should look like – when the lack of diversity was a key plot point and key to the characters’ growth and experiences. We’ve also got a plot which was built around gendered power watered that, instead, dances around gender. The men are all worthless and the women are all Mary Sues.

While ROP is certainly created with a 2022 audience in mind – it’s flaws aren’t in the wokeness.

I just can’t stand the costume design. The dedication and effort put into the LOTR movies was amazing, the costumes didn’t look like costumes at all, they just looked like what these characters would legit wear in this world, no immersion breaking. Rich emroidery and good quality materials went a long way. There was always reasons as to why the characters outfits were the way they were, nothing was unnecessary.
But Rings Of Power’s outfits honestly suck. They suck so bad that I absolutely cannot immerse myself into this series. And they absolutely do not have the excuse of not enough budget. The outfits are bland and boring, the quality of the materials is low and instead of giving the characters actually good looking outfits they just slap on some gold leaf to make it look fancy, and it just does not work.

2 Likes

Same way I feel about the Halo show. Want to change the story? Just come up with your own original idea then instead of trying to make a quick buck and ruining the original.

1 Like

They’ve taken some liberties with the Akallabêth but, then, so did the movies with LotR. It’s been interesting to see some glimpses of Númenor. Kind of reminds me of when the Fellowship encountered the Argonath and its giant statues. It’s an okay story but if I didn’t already have prime, I wouldn’t be watching it.

You’re confusing Tolkien with HP Lovecraft. Lovecraft was the one who’d be butthurt about non-white actors existing.