Returning since MoP/Warlords - nothing quite what im expecting

Hi All,

When Shadowlands was announced and up for pre-order, I ordered it, though ended up not really having the time to get back into it until now…

I’ve done a fair bit of reading and nothing is quite what im expecting. First, my highest levels are 40 - i was more or less expecting any character I logged in was going to be funnelled into BfA as none of them were maxed out pre-shadowlands. 2 Of my characters have a quest called “Iron Horde Invasion”, which reading on wowhead, seems to be from cataclysm. One character “discovered” a quest on login for Warlords of Draenor.

But also Chromie seems to be available to me. When I go to her I get an option to select a time line and am presented with the 6 options (watching a youtube, that seems correct) that I can warp between.

Point is, i feel a bit stuck, some of my characters are already in parts of the Warlords quest line so im not sure If i should continue that and get to 50 (or if thats possible even) or just go chromie myself to somewhere? Or am I potentially just bugged in some way?

That’s the starter quest for the pre-patch Warlords event. It’s still in game, but you aren’t led to it these days. It also “hides” if you are doing the proper WoD intro quests. It’s very possible they picked it up when you last played given your timeline. You get a pet at the end, and it’s not very long.

The criteria for Chromie Time is a bit opaque. For new players, you need to be 50, but it seems like older players with characters at max level for various earlier expansions got access grandgathered in.

You lose access to Chromie Time at 50, but it’s harder to turn on after 48 when the Shadowlands starter quest becomes available. While you are eligible, you can turn it off and on as well swap between expansions at will just by talking to her.

Turning it on for any expansion will make all of the older expansions scale to 50. (BfA will scale to 50 whether you have Chromie Time off or on.) Which one you select really just affects what initial breadcrumb Chromie give you (you can get alternates from the Command Board) and which dungeons you see in the Dungeon finder. (The old Vanilla dungeons are under Cataclysm.) So, unless you want to see different dungeons or avoid digging for a specific starter quest on the Command Board you can skip around between expansions in Chromie Time without changing your expansion.

WoD only scales to 40 without Chromie Time, so you won’t be able to get to 50 without turning on Chromie Time.

WoD is a very efficient expansion for leveling and a popular choice for those looking to level quickly.

If you are interested in unlocking various allied races, then you can get a jump on some of them by leveling through Legion or BfA.

Also, you only need the Pathfinder achievement to fly in the two most recent expansions now. In this case, Shadowlands and BfA.

All other expansions have flying available without needing to complete the Pathfinder achievement for them.

So, in addition to being able to fly on all your characters in WoD, you can also fly in Legion.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Udiza and Nok, Thats cleared up a few things for me

1 Like