Returning player, sad about the lag in instances

I quit WoW in the middle of Shadowlands and heard good things about Dragonflight, so decided to give it another try. I was having fun in instances doing dungeons, at first.

But as I got closer to late night where I am in Oceanic, it was time for Americans to wake up… and that’s when I started getting horrible lag. This lag was unplayable 600-1000 ms. I know this had to be because of Blizzard because my internet was fine otherwise.

And when I quit SL before, I switched over to FF14 and that is now my main MMO. I’ve done a ton of dungeons in 14 over that period of time, and I have never experienced the kind of unplayable lag in that game that I just experienced in my first day of returning back to WoW leveling dungeons.

The big difference I believe is that I played on Japanese hosted servers in FF14, so only got grouped with people on those servers. And when Square Enix released Oceanic servers, I switched over to those. Either way, no crazy lag spikes like I get now in WoW.

So, the common denominator seems to be that grouping with people on servers that are closer geographically results in a better gameplay experience. And Square Enix wisely decided to limit Eastern players to instancing with each other and Oceanic players to instancing with each other while letting NA only do instances with each other as well.

I wish that Blizzard would do this as well. If FF14 can manage it with their supposedly smaller playerbase, then so then should WoW be able to handle it too.

I love the fast paced combat that WoW offers and the variety of talents and abilities really make classes feel different from each other. It’s a refreshing change after playing ff14 for so long. But no matter how good WoW combat is on paper, I can’t suffer the lag. Hopefully, I can just play when America sleeps and mostly be ok. I just wish Blizzard would start listening to us Oceanic peeps.

How do you guys manage and cope with this problem?

There may be a lot of character models loading at once. You may want to look at your graphical settings and mess around with them while keeping an eye on your FPS. There are also a lot of people killing treasure goblins in major cities so there may be a lot of people casting abilities in one place which may cause a lot of lag.

I appreciate your help, but my lag problem is only in dungeons (though after exiting the dungeon, the higher ms still lingers for a bit). Also, FF14 is more graphically demanding than WoW, and with settings maxed on that game, I can play dungeons in it without lag. Also, I have an RTX 3080 GPU, Ryzen 7 3800X processor, Fibr internet, and 32 GB of ram. So yeah, pretty sure it’s not my specs.

I remember I randomly had lag near the beginning of the expansion when questing alone in open world and sometimes in dungeons when before it was normal. You could try the “scan and repair” option in Battle.net but I’m not sure how effective it will be.

Oh trust me, the lag is there in FFXIV. Its just not as pronounced because FFXIV doesn’t have all actions being registered in real-time. That’s part of why the PVP in FFXIV is so frustrating.

Hey, did you ever find a fix/way to get it back to an acceptable level of latency for instanced gameplay?

Try checking the leader flag when queuing. It will be more likely to make you lead and thus host the instance on your server.