Returning player - Professions help

I have a toon ( still call them that?) that has leveled tailoring and enchanting through all the expansions from Burning crusade to The Battle for Azeroth. I’ve been away for a couple of years and it seems like professions have completely changed. Is there a guide somewhere for returning players to make sense of this? I seem to have lost all the recipes for the earliest tailoring leveling. I can’t make a bolt of runecloth but I can make an embersilk bag. My tailoring for classic shows 1 of 75 but my tailoring for Northrend shows 45 of 75? I learned ALL the recipes from Vanilla to The Battle for Azeroth but the early ones are gone? A link to something on how to make sense of this would be greatly be appreciated.

1 Like

I’m right there with you! I was exalted with nearly everyone; mastered cooking, blacksmithing, first aid, fishing and mining - and now I am at level one with every single profession. I can’t even figure out how to create some of the recipes they’re wanting.

I don’t like a lot of things about this version of WoW. I definitely don’t like that there’s no such thing as “lower levels” for us higher levels (I used to be 125, came back at lvl 40!) to play around in. I loved just flying or riding around in lower level lands and enjoying things I couldn’t while I was questing. I don’t like that I’ll have to revisit places I completed, likely having to fight battles again, just to get my professions back up.
I’m also trying out Lich King (again) and hoping that I’ll get the good vibes from the game I once had.
I started in 2009 but stopped in about 2016 or 2017 due to health issues.
Really hope devs listen to more than just the same old talking heads of old.
Thanks for allowing me to hijack your post and I hope we both get some answers!

1 Like

You shouldn’t have lost anything profession-wise. I had a blacksmith that was maxed out at the end of Warlords but hadn’t done anything after that, so IIRC she would have been at skill level 700. She still has a total of 700 skill points in Blacksmithing but they are now allocated by expansion - 300 points in Classic Blacksmithing, 75 points in Outlands Blacksmithing, and so on.

You can’t see all your skill points at once anymore, you have to select an expansion using the Filter button in the Blacksmithing window to see your blacksmithing skill points in that expansion; it’s the same for all the other professions (except Archaeology for some reason). The skill bars in the main Professions window only shows the most recent expansion that you’ve trained in, not any of the previous expansions, so the fact that it’s sitting at 1 point doesn’t mean you’ve lost all your previous work leveling up.

I’m not a fan of the squished levels either, nor do I like mobs scaling up to your level. I play classic WOTLK even though in retail I have a few high level (50’s), 50,000 gold , vendor mount and about 100 30 slot bags on a mule. To each his own, but I wish they would re release everything up until the level squishing and mob scaling.

1 Like