Returning player looking to start a guild for heirlooms

My wife and I recently returned and we’ve been on an altoholic binge. We changed our main server and started creating a lot of classes from scratch.

We were thinking to pick up a bunch of heirlooms but realized a lot of them are locked behind Guild rep. I thought about joining a guild, but we have irregular playtime and would generally not be helpful at all since we just quest and level.

So I thought maybe I could just start a guild for all our alts to get access to the heirloom vendor.

But would the two of us be able to do it? Does the guild have to do certain activities to unlock the vendors and gear? I remember a long time ago people would pay people to sign a charter in trade. Is that still a thing?

A guild will unlock the helm and cloak automatically (so you’ll just need the rep.) For the legs, they guild will need the “Working Better as a Team” achievement, which means getting 600 points in every profession. (With the new profession system, that means a total of 600 points between any of the expansion tiers.)

Back before they were truly account-wide, if I need the guild ones on a new server, I’d just join one of the random guilds that spammed their invite. It’s not too hard to get to honored with the guild, and guilds like that generally don’t mind if you don’t participate in guild stuff.

Of course, if you have enough alts between you to get the professions covered, starting your own guild has the benefit of extra storage. Paying for guild signatures is still the norm, although it seems to take a lot more gold to attract people’s attention these days. (Several hundred in my experience.) Fortunately, as you’ve already got 2 people, you’ll only need 3 other signatures. Make sure that you don’t pay all of it up front to people. If they join another guild or sign another charter before you get yours finalized, you’ll lose their signature. So, it’s best to save at least some of the payment for after the guild is formed.

Thank you for this, it’s very helpful. It sounds like it would be easier to just join one of the guilds that randomly invite us then.