Returning casual, should I use the character boost on a new or existing toon?

I have just casually started playing again and have a human mage up to lvl25. I’ve been enjoying it enough I was going to buy the new expansion and saw it came with a level boost. Should I use that boost on a new toon or just the one I’ve been using? Does it make a difference? I plan on going mage again if I use it on a new one.

There isn’t really a should here. It’s up to you and the game doesn’t punish you for doing one or the other. You can save the boost for as long as you like. I still have a boost from a couple of expansions back so there’s no urgency to when you use it.

On the negative side some people who used a boost have reported that that feel a bit lost being thrust into end game and feel like they don’t really understand their toons or what the games is expecting them to do. On the positive side you can get straight into end game content which is where the majority of the player base is.

1 Like

Typically we recommend that players who are returning after a multi-expansion break, or players who are brand new to the game, do not use a boost until they’ve taken the “slow path” for leveling at least once.

The reason behind this is, as Sarakatawen pointed out, many people who boost without any context for the current state of the game feel lost and don’t understand their toons, and subsequently become frustrated and quit.

So I would recommend holding on to the boost and using it later on if you decide you want to try out a different class.

1 Like

I was really interested in getting to do some raids but I could see why waiting could be better. thank you!

You also have the ability to do trial boosts to get the flavor of playing a toon at 110.

There are restrictions on how many trials you can do within a timeframe and how long you can have a trial toon before it becomes a permanent boost. Most classes only have one trial spec as well.

Icy-veins.com has good class/spec guides that will help you set up your trial characters.

1 Like

Ive seen a lot people talk about trials. Is this anything more than testing out classes? I was pretty set on wanting to go mage so Im just wondering if i should do it.

Iirc, the Mage trial is for Frost spec. If you are concerned about the number of abilities used at high level, or are planning on respeccing to Fire or Arcane, you may want to do the frost spec intro trial, respec to fire or arcane, and play a bit in your preferred spec for an hour or two to get a feel for it.

1 Like

If you follow the trial, I think it takes you through the BfA intro. (You can also just hearth out of the tutorial and do your own thing — if you leave the tutorial early it will unlock all of your abilities and specs — although the tutorial part isn’t very long before it dumps you into the real game.)

The main advantage would be that it will give you a good sense of it you’ll be overwhelmed by the boost. (You can also choose to boost the trial character, so you don’t have to redo stuff — as using the boost also dumps you into the tutorial.)

Any achievements you might have attached to your character would be lost on the new character. The trials are a nice way to see how classes feel at higher levels, although they are not perfectly indicative of how powerful you will be at 120… just a very rough estimation of the playstyle and rotation.

If you are absolutely sure about Mage, no harm in just boosting your current character. I would trial a few others, just to be sure though.

Although I did miss out on some earlier content between Cataclysm and BFA, I’ve since done them on my alts and didn’t personally feel like I was missing much. Most of that content is irrelevant now to most players (and the zones are quite empty)… so unless you’re really into the lore, it may not matter much to you.

It sounds like you aren’t new to the game, just new to the Mage class. In my humble opinion, you can pick things up fairly quickly without running through 100 levels. Keep in mind, you have 10 levels to become accustomed to playing a mage (110-120), so unless you’re completely new to WoW… it should be easily doable.

I ended up boosting a new one and have been doing really well with it, now my only thing I wish I looked more into was the race! Thanks for the reassurance I’m not missing too much, been having a lot of fun with what I did