Returing player from 7 years ago

I’m returning to play again and I’m extremely confused and not sure where to start. 4 days ago I was level 43 and I was 110 or 120 ( I cant recall) anyway I quested and got to level 60 so far but I’m really confused on what to do. wondering if I should clear my quest log and go to Dragon Islands? or what. Also my gear is terrible I haven’t even done a new dungeon yet. Anyway I really need some help getting back into this.
Like need to get some gear that I can actually kill something. Leveling to 60 with daggers that were Green iLevel 130 to 140 was terrible and hard. I didn’t want to use dungeon finder because I most likely would have been kicked 10 times.

Welcome back!

110 would have been in Legion. 120 in Battle for Azeroth. We had a l;evel squish in Shadowlands, where every character was reduced to a bit over half of its previous level. 43, though, sounds more like a Mists or Warlords of Draenor character.

But anyway, the level squish reduced the levels of all characters, so that explains the 43.

Yes, you definitely should clear your quest log and head to the Dragon Isles. Unless you have some particular achievement or something you want to finish in a lower expansion, you should move on. In a level or two, everything outside the Dragon Isles will become grey for you, and you will stop gaining experience anyway.

As for gear, you will find some ilevel 220-300 gear in your Auction House, and a bit higher at 61. It MIGHT even be affordable. Look for “Pioneer’s Leather” armor pieces available for level 61s, and “Isle Trapper’s” daggers.

But when you get to Dragon Isles, you might find the scaling surprisingly tolerant of your ilevel, and you WILL pick up some level-appropriate gear from quests quite quickly.