[Retail] Nameplate distance and Line of Sight broken since 2019

Nameplate distance has been locked to 60 yards on Retail since a hotfix was applied to Classic in September 2019 in order to lock it on Classic to 20 yards. When will this be fixed for Retail?

I have tested this issue on the PTR with no addons except one called RangeDisplay, which only show me distance to target. And none of the Cvar-scripts or commands that pertain to nameplate distance that I can find, seems to work.

As for the Line of Sight issue, it’s annoying to be able to see nameplates of Mawrats, etc, through closed doorways in Torghast which you know you can’t past after exploring the entire floor. It’s also really obvious problem in dungeons like Tol Dagor and Sanguine Depths, probably other dungeons as well.

And I have sent this bug report nearly every week through either the Retail client or PTR client for the past 2 months, but I’m starting to lose all hope this will ever get fixed.

4 Likes

It’s sadly not a bug. They should still add a slider so we can lower the distance. I don’t understand how they could be this blind to the problem right in front of us. I’ve had to resort to using an addon to hide nameplates that aren’t in my line of sight. It just makes them invisible but still I shouldn’t have to use an addon to semi fix Blizzard’s bad decisions.

The part that really annoys me is that they fixed the distance to avoid some exploits in Classic. But they made a change to BC Classic where you can actually change the distance. I have no idea how they overlooked it in retail.

1 Like

Well, the way I see it is retail’s nameplate distance being locked is a side-effect of the hotfix to classic. And it should not be locked, Blizzard just doesn’t want to recognize the issue and fix it. I’ll take the slider or just being able to change it with CVAR scripts, as long as it’s not being locked to 60 yards anymore.

1 Like

Yes, please bring back option to change nameplate view distance. It is such a clutter on the screen having a ton of enemy nameplates that are out of range.

After lvling a DK on a Classic Wrath server, I noticed the “NameplateMaxDistance” Cvar script works there (with the help of the addon AdvancedInterfaceOptions. But it still does not work on Retail?

Also, the line of sight issues on Retail doesn’t exist in the Classic Wrath client.

What gives, Blizzard?

I too played a death knight for the wrath classic and I was pretty miffed when I saw a nameplate distance slider in the interface options.

It can’t be that hard to bring that same feature back to retail right?

Give me back my 30/40 yard nameplates!

It would be great if Blizzard actually responded in some way to this issue, I’ve been sending in ingame bug reports on this for months now, through either the PTR client or the Beta client.

Several months since I made this thread asking for a response from Blizzard. I’ve reported this issue every week and I’m still seeing no changes to this.

1 Like

Blizzard absolutely will not respond to a thread made here.

They’ve also given no indication that they believe this is a bug.

I’m not sure what you’re attempting to do with this.

You’re quite right that Blizzard doesn’t care about this, that’s very clear after about half a year of reporting this (if not longer). But I’m trying anyway, since this has been an issue ever since they applied a hotfix to the Classic client back in September of 2019 (to lock the distance to 20 yards, not 60).

Meanwhile, the Wrath Classic client doesn’t have this issue, I can use the Cvar scripts from the addon “Advanced Interface Options” and they’ll work there. But not for Retail.

1 Like