RETAIL!: Gnomish versus Goblin Engineering

So on my dk (yes I know this is a rogue) I got my engineering up mostly for nitro boots and speed boosts, while I was talking to a trainer I saw that they sold goblin/engineering recipes. after doing some more research I realized what it was for but now I have the question, goblin engineering or gnomish engineering and if there’s any major difference between them. This is for 99% funzees on my dk though if any of them have specific unique functions please let me know. This is for retail wow only.

If you don’t plan on doing a whole lot with old world crafted items, don’t bother picking either. The only differences I can remember are teleport locations in Azeroth and Outlands and the two mounts in Pandaria. The teleports don’t really factor into things, so decide which mount looks better or sells better and go with that.

There are also a couple of pets and toys that are different.
But really, the only significant difference is whether you teleport to Gadgetzan or Ratchet.
I used to enjoy the heck out of the Gnomish Poultryizer in BC though. Very useful for freeze-trapping casters.

The Gnomish Gravity Well and world shrinker toy was my deciding factor a long time ago. I do not regret my decision.

1 Like

LIke yinz said you got those 2 fun items or if you are tryin to make a low level twink of sorts, I think gnomish gives clothy some more items… Mostly though I think it boils down to the 2 teleport locations
Goblin - teleport to area 51/ winter spring
Gnomish - Blades edge mountain/ tanaris

Personally I think the gnomish one is a bit more useful because If you use noggenfogger potions you got easy access to Tanaris, however if you farming for the phoenix mount then area 51 is really useful and I specifically rolled goblin on a few of my guys just to get easy access to that raid, similarly I did the same thing for some of my wife’s characters… I’d also think its semi-dependent on preference here, area 51 has some rare pets too if you are a hunter, blades edge has khorium ore that still sells well… The only one I find that’s fairly useless is the winterspring one, I go there on my alliance priest sometimes or sometiems I use it just to try and get a ‘evil proc’ so I look shadowy for 1hr. I guess there are lots of rare pets there as well but you said for a DK.

1 Like

I don’t think Area 51 vs Toshley’s Station is a big difference. IIRC, it takes less than two minutes to fly from one to the other.

1 Like

yeah but you know blizzard has added so many more timegates these days, if you try to farm ashes on multiple characters, 5+ that’s 10 minutes… kinda starts to add up… The time gates are one of the reason I barely play anymore, rares you can only kill once per day on a 45 min spawn timer and the item in question has less then a 1% chance to drop (not even a mount just a cosmetic or a toy) so IF you CAN cut out as much time as possible, it keeps me engaged personally…

I lose interest really quick when im spending 5-15/20 minutes gettin to an area JUST to kill something once per day… I just don’t have it in me anymore honestly but I remember when I was farming ashes, I was using northerend worm hole for ulduar, argent dawn tabard for ICC, stormwind tabard to blasted lands portal --> kara, then off to zg/za heroics…

^ this felt more engaging then farming the rares now, this entire process took me less then 40 minutes per character, maybe even 30 and I was doing it on like 10 characters… I miss feeling that engaged, easier to get around and farm things, things to actually farm… Maybe this is more of a gripe about how the cosmetics in SL have like a 1% drop chance that and some of the toys from BFA… I digress

1 Like